Yuki Bhambri

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: ATP500 Dubai (14-21 March) 2021

Post by PKBasu »

My live-streaming froze at 30-all in the third game (from 0-30 for Bedene earlier) of the second set. Until that point, Yuki was totally dominant, putting severe pressure on Bedene's serve. I was stunned to find the second set had gone 1-6 -- implying he lost 5 consecutive games while I was frozen out. The livestream never returned for me (despite trying multiple devices). But Yuki had his chances in the final set, couldn't quite convert and Bedene made him pay. I'm still trying to figure out what went wrong in the second set (and his answers in the press conference didn't really provide much of an explanation).

There are a couple of hard court Challengers (in Lugano, Switzerland and in France) next week, and one in Orlando (Florida) starting 12 April. Otherwise it is all clay all the time.

Yuki will play his home Futures at the DLTA courts, hopefully maximise points (a mere 10) by winning it. Then he probably should go to Florida to play a couple of Challengers (the second on clay in Tallahassee), and transition to a couple of big ATP event qualifiers and the FO qualifiers. He absolutely shouldn't use his PR for clay tournaments other than the clay Slam. So the next 2 months will be a tough period for him.
prasen9

Re: ATP500 Dubai (14-21 March) 2021

Post by prasen9 »

I agree with PKB's suggestion. Maybe a kind mod can move some of these that are schedule only and do not comment about the matches at Dubai to the Yuki thread so that we can find it in the next two months, etc.? Thanks.

[Moved a few posts over here, as requested... Mod, Jay]
PKBasu

Re: Yuki Bhambri

Post by PKBasu »

It seems odd (now that he is going to play the Delhi Futures) that Yuki didn't play singles at the first Futures in Lucknow (just playing and winning the doubles title). Having travelled all the way there, it would have made sense to play both singles and doubles, and gain some points.
I think Yuki looks at doubles as easy work, not very strenuous or stressful for the body. So the extra doubles match on Saturday would not have affected him too much physically (unlike our concerns here).
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Doubles is a lot less taxing which is why folks can play doubles at the top level into their 40s. Firstly, you are covering basically half the court and secondly net play decides or influences most of the points, so there isn't the grind of slugging it out from the baseline which you have in singles.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

This is a nice article by Kumarswamy on views of Yuki's coach Stephen Koon-

It's all positive, says coach Koon on Bhambri's comeback

Yuki did say in the post match press conference that he was surprised that he was able to play at this level so soon since his return. In his earlier comebacks, it had taken him more time to get back to his usal level. He also talked about more upper body strength which seems to have helped to gain some extra speed on his serve which will help him gain some free points. Overall, all positive indications that if he continues in this vein, he will probably be back at better level than he ever had in his career, top 75 or top 50. Due to scant scheduling in covid times, it will take more time for his ranking to get upto that level but he can get there by end of the year. The key being him staying fit.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

Yuki posted an Insta story having dinner at one of the “dinner in the sky” establishments. Is he in Miami or in the UAE or somewhere else? Might his former IMG connection have given him a wildcard for the Miami open? One can dream :D
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

Yuki is now ranked 1021. Will be exciting to watch his rise.

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

As per report, Yuki is travelling to US for taking participation in Orlando and Tallahassee challengers. Prajnesh, Jeevan and Bala are also playing these US challengers.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, saw that news. Yuki is not in the entry list for those challengers. So, he probably has been offered a wild card.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Good to see that Yuki is travelling to Orlando and Tallahassee to play Challengers. He has a home in Orlando (as far as I remember), so possibly has good contacts there -- also perhaps through the Bolletieri academy that he has spent so much of his youth at.
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

I was hoping that he would get a qualies WC at Miami for the same reasons. The cut off was very low and they ended up giving it to M Zverev who would have made it to the qualies draw without the WC. Nevertheless, if he can get 2 wcs here, it would be great.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yuki did not received main draw or qualifying wild card for Orlando challenger. So,he is only playing doubles there. :-(
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Does anyone know what illness stopped Yuki at Orlando? Some speculate that it was Covid, but if so, Ebden wouldn't have been permitted to keep playing (as he has this week), since he played one match in Yuki's company. Yuki's jinxed career seems to suffer random setbacks, but the dearth of information makes it even tougher for us fans to figure out what's happening. When he had the chance, Yuki should have picked up some easy singles points at the India Futures.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

After some nice performances in singles, I was excited. Now I hear no news again about YB.
What is happening?

YB has an instagram page, it would be nice if he could put out updates, however brief.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

The fact that he will show up at Roland Garros without any preparation on this surface indicates he is going there to simply pick up some money. Is he even able to go out and practice while being in Delhi? :-(