Yuki Bhambri

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Yuki Bhambri

Post by arjun2761 »

I wonder if Yuki has some such plan, as he was playing quite impatiently and making quite a few UFE's like he had a plane to catch!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

He was getting a big frustrated when he was making those errors, but he not missing by inches, he was hitting way long or into net on routine shots in most of them.

I don't know why Yuki did not put in his name in qualies of either Geneva or Lyon for this weekend as a fallback. He would have been among top 2-3 seeds at both the places. Now, I think he will need a wild card if he has to play main draw or qualies anywhere.
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

sameerph wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:49 pm I don't know why Yuki did not put in his name in qualies of either Geneva or Lyon for this weekend as a fallback. He would have been among top 2-3 seeds at both the places. Now, I think he will need a wild card if he has to play main draw or qualies anywhere.
Can't a higher ranked player sign up for qualifying onsite similar to Challenger rules?
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Menstennisforums doesn't have a proper listing of the alternatives at Geneva and Lyon. But at Lyon, the acceptances have already dropped to around the 80th ranked player. Pospisil (ranked similarly to Yuki, who was 84 at the time of the Geneva entry deadline) has made it into one of them (Lyon, I think). So if Yuki's name is still in the Geneva main draw entry list, he may be very close to making the main draw.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

quote=bujilover post_id=4396221 time=1526571733 user_id=8298]
sameerph wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:49 pm I don't know why Yuki did not put in his name in qualies of either Geneva or Lyon for this weekend as a fallback. He would have been among top 2-3 seeds at both the places. Now, I think he will need a wild card if he has to play main draw or qualies anywhere.
Can't a higher ranked player sign up for qualifying onsite similar to Challenger rules?
[/quote]

No, for challengers there is no qualifying entry list. So, whoever signs up for qualies is accepted for qualifying draw in order of their rankings. For ATP tournaments, there is a qualifying entry list. So, a player who has not initially entered cannot enter and play at the last moment unless all the alternates are fully exhausted and qualifying draw is still not fully filled. That is unlikely to happen for a 16 player draw.

However, I think the organisers would be willing to give wild card in qualies to a top 100 player given that he will be among the top 2 seeds there. But, knowing Yuki he is not known to make such desperate last minute attempts to play anywhere and is more likely to practice for 1 week prior to RG.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

It may be worthwhile for Yuki to engage a professional scheduling consultant to help him with these decisions. I'm sure they exist. If they don't, this forum could be a good place for him to start using... :D
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

PKBasu wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:57 am Menstennisforums doesn't have a proper listing of the alternatives at Geneva and Lyon. But at Lyon, the acceptances have already dropped to around the 80th ranked player. Pospisil (ranked similarly to Yuki, who was 84 at the time of the Geneva entry deadline) has made it into one of them (Lyon, I think). So if Yuki's name is still in the Geneva main draw entry list, he may be very close to making the main draw.
No, Yuki's ranking was 105 at the time of Geneva/Lyon entry lists were made. It moved up to 84 just a week after that when he won the Taiwan challenger. He was 17-19 out from main draw in the initial entry list ( based on another twitter user who has given full alternates list.). The cut has dropped 8-10 places now but he will still be about 4-5 out at least. It will be difficult to make it in directly unless there are few last minute withdrawals.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

:damn: The utter unprofessionalism of his scheduling is crazy
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yuki is wasting next week: he won’t be playing in Geneva or Lyon, so he is going to the French Open without a single match on clay. This is so utterly unprofessional that it boggles the mind. Why does he squander his ranking in this asinine way?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

True and looking at the entry lists, at Lyon (which is in France itself), the cut dropped past where Yuki was in the entry list at 105 and he has already withdrawn. :damn: Absolutely crazy that he does not want to even step on clay for one tournament before French open even when he is directly getting into main draw. Is he going to gain more by just practising ?
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Geneva too is a few (4 or so) hours drive from Paris. (I have actually done that drive once from Charles de Gaulle airport to Geneva). There was no earthly excuse for Yuki to not play in either Geneva or Lyon.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The good news is that Yuki is 6th on the alternates list for s'Hertogenbosch on grass -- the same week as Stuttgart. He was ranked 85 at the time this entry list was prepared, so there is a good chance he will make it into the main draw. Ahead of him are Jaziri, Baghdatis, Ebden, Karlovic and Pospisil.

And Yuki is 25th among the alternates for Halle the following week (with a ranking of 86) and 9th among alternates for Antalya (with a ranking of 94).

Yuki of course is currently supposed to be playing the Surbiton Challenger the week before den-Bosch (the second week of the French Open).
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

The intent is pretty clear based on his scheduling. He will try his luck in the first round.. If lucky, he gets into the second. Otherwise he goes to collect the cheque. I wouldn't blame him though. Perhaps his priorities are to try well for grass and move on to US hard courts where he expects to do well. Too much time spent on clay could strain him and not keep him in best shape (should not risk an injury at this stage) for grass and US hard courts
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

jayakris wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:24 amLooks like that didn't go as planned... at all. Yuki lost 46 36.
When Yuki lost at Seoul last week, I wanted to ask about something, and when Sowjanya qualified in and lost in the R1 at Changwon today, I was reminded of the question I had... Do any of you remember any Indians ever making even a semifinal of a tennis event EVER in Korea?

I can't remember any SFs by anybody there. V.Amritraj, Ramesh Krishnan, Sania, Leander, Mahesh, Somdev, Yuki, Harsh, Bops, Kash, Ankita... Nobody. It is like Indians can never do anything right in Korea. Everywhere else in Asia, whether it is China, Thailand, Indonesia, Taiwan, Philippines, Japan, etc, we would find somebody doing well in at least some event at some point, but not in Korea. That too, when Indians lose in Korea, it is often in absolutely listless ways like Yuki did last week - often to players that are not unbeatable ones otherwise.

In fact, even in Davis Cup, we have been so bad that even taking a set from somebody has been so tough, as we lost listlessly and repeatedly in 1990, 1999, and 2006, in Korea. In 1990 and 2006, we lost 8 singles matches where we won just one set out of 21... LP played his very first DC singles for India there, and lost in 1990. LP and Zeeshan even lost the doubles match in a 7-9 fifth set then. In 1999, MB won the first two sets of the 5th match and then inexplicably lost the last three sets to drop a 2-3 tie there at Seogwipo. Yuki and Divij won a futures doubles title 6 years ago, but otherwise there is nothing that I remember even in doubles.

It is not just that our players lose matches, but that they lose it with no explanation, like in Yuki's R2 match last week. Not the first time that I have seen it happen in Korea. Korea is like a Bermuda triangle for our players, I guess. Why? I don't know.

The only exception was when Sania picked up one of her biggest wins at the Seoul WTA over Martina Hingis back in 2006, and then Somdev and gang won the Davis Cup at Busan in 2014. Curiously, I was in attendance at both the events, and I think it took all positive energy from the greatest fan of Indian tennis channeling all of the sports-India fans' energy to them, to make those things happen. In fact Somdev was staring at a bad upset and about to lose the critical 4th match in 2014, down a set and a break, when I had to start channeling positive energy :)
suresh

Post by suresh »

jayakris wrote:Do any of you remember any Indians ever making even a semifinal of a tennis event EVER in Korea?
Why do our players do poorly in South Korea? This is a question for reporters from the Indian Tennis Daily to ask our current players during their interviews. @vishnu @vatsal ??