Yuki Bhambri

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Yuki Bhambri

Post by PKBasu »

Absolutely crazy approach, unless he is injured. And of course he now has higher overheads since Stephen Koon is a travelling coach, but he hasn’t played for the past 6 weeks. Astonishing that he skipped the entire hard court season. And to go into a 5-set match straight away is madness. He has wasted yet another year after making it to a career high.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

I had given up a long time ago on keeping any expectations of what Yuki might do in his career. The only thing I know is that he is always focusing on practice or rehab -- meaning, we don't ever hear of him wasting time on anything else. But his scheduling has always been crazy and I have never figured out what his thinking is. It seems like he has a slow approach to just keep going, preserving his body and hoping for things to be fine long enough to get success somewhere or other, whenever it happens.

Knowing his injury history and how the injury-fear must always be playing in his mind, I don't even know if I can blame him for not trying to take any event (be it a Grand slam or a Davis Cup tie or an Asiad) seriously enough to go out and push his body hard in preparation. So, all we can do is to just wish him well, drop all our expectations of what he might achieve, and just enjoy it whenever we get a good week of good tennis from him. And that we do get - often enough for him to reach the third highest ranking of any Indian male player in three decades (multiple times, on comebacks from nowhere!)

Again, I am giving him the slack mostly because we never hear of him spending time on other things like dating movie stars, doing video shoots for Kerala gold merchants, setting up his tennis academy, being in lawsuits, acting in movies, playing non-ATP pro tennis, getting married and causing religious riots, doing talent scouting for India for Olympics, making foreign tennis academy tie-ups, doing former tennis greats' charity events, doing Yoga, being ATP's or somebody else's ambassador for something or other, hugging Nelson Mandela, trying to get US or Europe residency, writing newspaper articles, being in feuds with other tennis players, doing TV commentary, giving ear rings to Indian football greats, getting accused of drinking beer, acting in US TV dramas, etc etc -- good and bad things that our other tennis stars have done. Yuki doesn't seem to be into any of that.

Yuki is still all tennis, as far as we know, and is never in the news. I respect him for that. He marches to his own drum beats, and we are never in sync with his rhythm. So be it. Let him keep going. All we can do is, again, wish him well and hope for the best!
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Well written Jay ... Fully agree with you.
We never heard any controversy or sensational gossips about him ... We heard only tennis related news about him and respect him about that ... Just wishing sooner than later we will see his first grand slam singles win.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

jayakris wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:55 pm I had given up a long time ago on keeping any expectations of what Yuki might do in his career. The only thing I know is that he is always focusing on practice or rehab -- meaning, we don't ever hear of him wasting time on anything else. But his scheduling has always been crazy and I have never figured out what his thinking is. It seems like he has a slow approach to just keep going, preserving his body and hoping for things to be fine long enough to get success somewhere or other, whenever it happens.

Knowing his injury history and how the injury-fear must always be playing in his mind, I don't even know if I can blame him for not trying to take any event (be it a Grand slam or a Davis Cup tie or an Asiad) seriously enough to go out and push his body hard in preparation. So, all we can do is to just wish him well, drop all our expectations of what he might achieve, and just enjoy it whenever we get a good week of good tennis from him. And that we do get - often enough for him to reach the third highest ranking of any Indian male player in three decades (multiple times, on comebacks from nowhere!)

Again, I am giving him the slack mostly because we never hear of him spending time on other things like dating movie stars, doing video shoots for Kerala gold merchants, setting up his tennis academy, being in lawsuits, acting in movies, playing non-ATP pro tennis, getting married and causing religious riots, doing talent scouting for India for Olympics, making foreign tennis academy tie-ups, doing former tennis greats' charity events, doing Yoga, being ATP's or somebody else's ambassador for something or other, hugging Nelson Mandela, trying to get US or Europe residency, writing newspaper articles, being in feuds with other tennis players, doing TV commentary, giving ear rings to Indian football greats, getting accused of drinking beer, acting in US TV dramas, etc etc -- good and bad things that our other tennis stars have done. Yuki doesn't seem to be into any of that.

Yuki is still all tennis, as far as we know, and is never in the news. I respect him for that. He marches to his own drum beats, and we are never in sync with his rhythm. So be it. Let him keep going. All we can do is, again, wish him well and hope for the best!
Thanks! For those words.
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

Can y'all list out who has done what in the second last paragraph.. I couldn't recognize all of them (Especially earrings and Nelson Mandela part)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Okay, let us see who else remembers those things :) ... It may have been getting an ear ring; I can't remember for sure.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Why re-wash dirty or soiled linen. Let it lie.

To get back to Yuki, yes we should be happy for small mercies. What seems clear is that his body is so fragile that he wouldn’t dare play another tournament before the US Open for fear of jeopardising his participation in the USO. That is a very fragile body. Presumably his training in Thailand will ensure that he can put up a good fight in R1 at the US Open. And then he will need to play a fair bit in October and November to defend last year’s points.

(The interesting thing is that Stephen Koon’s other ward, “Randy” Lu Yen-hsun, is also injured, so he probably has a fair amount of free time over the past two months, earning relatively easy money :kookoo: ).
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

PKBasu wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:13 pm Why re-wash dirty or soiled linen. Let it lie.

To get back to Yuki, yes we should be happy for small mercies. What seems clear is that his body is so fragile that he wouldn’t dare play another tournament before the US Open for fear of jeopardising his participation in the USO. That is a very fragile body. .
Yes, that is my surmise as well. If he is still fit after the US Open, he is likely to play more. Alternatively, in the worst case, he will start his 6 month absence (for PR purposes) right after. Per my understanding, his PR will then give him direct entry into 3 more slams in 2019.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

This is a really sad state of affairs :-(
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Couldn't resist but to take a crack at this :p :D

Dating movie stars: Mahesh
Video shoots for Kerala gold merchants: Sania?
Setting up his tennis academy: Vijay, Mahesh (since it is his, it is not Sania)
being in lawsuits: Leander
Acting in movies: Vijay, Leander
Playing non-ATP pro tennis: Vijay and Ashok Amritraj, Leander have all played WTT, Mahesh and Vijay ran their own leagues
Getting married and causing religious riots: Sania
Doing talent scouting for India for Olympics: Somdev?
Making foreign teniis academy tie-ups: Sania?
Doing former tennis greats' charity events: Sania, Vijay?
Trying to get US or Europe residency: all the 3 Amritraj brothers
Writing newspaper articles: Leander, Vijay
Being in feuds with other tennis players: Leander, Mahesh, Rohan, Somdev, Sania. In an earlier generation Vijay and Ramesh also?
Doing TV commentary: Vijay, Leander and quite a few others
Giving ear rings to Indian football greats: Now this is a googly
Getting accused of drinking beer: ???
Doing yoga: Sania
Acting in US TV dramas: Vijay
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Drinking beer: Sumit Nagal.

Additional: bringing girlfriend to hotel during Davis cup: again Mr nagal
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Good stuff, rajitghosh... Mostly all correct. Anand has been accused of drinking beer (only as Davis cup captain, I think).. Additional names are there for some of the activities. Charity event for former players - the one I had in mind was Mahesh, who helped do it for Premjit Lall (we even raised some good money from the tennisindia fan club. Hugging Nelson Mandela - of course, LP.

The one that nobody seemed to figure out -- the ear ring thing was between and Leander and Baichung Bhutia. LP used to wear an ear ring that Baiching gave him (unless I am forgetting and it was the other way, with LP giving Baichung one -- not sure). Great friends with respect to each other.

Many of those things I listed weren't bad things to do. Just that they had nothing to do with one's tennis performance.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

jayakris wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:43 am Good stuff, rajitghosh... Mostly all correct. Anand has been accused of drinking beer (only as Davis cup captain, I think).. Additional names are there for some of the activities. Charity event for former players - the one I had in mind was Mahesh, who helped do it for Premjit Lall (we even raised some good money from the tennisindia fan club. Hugging Nelson Mandela - of course, LP.

The one that nobody seemed to figure out -- the ear ring thing was between and Leander and Baichung Bhutia. LP used to wear an ear ring that Baiching gave him (unless I am forgetting and it was the other way, with LP giving Baichung one -- not sure). Great friends with respect to each other.

Many of those things I listed weren't bad things to do. Just that they had nothing to do with one's tennis performance.
And I guess the brand ambassador would be mostly Vijay though I think even Leander has been at certain times. As far as charity events is concerned I think even Jaidip Mukerjea organized one for his good friend Premjit where their old rival Tony Roche was also present. That was at South Club. Drinking beer for a non-playing captain is no big deal. Pancho Gonzales used to smoke and drink Coca Cola during changeovers, yet he was one of the GOATs.

But this list is nothing compared to what our cricketers have done- betting, fighting in the dressing room, using casting vote of chief selector to change captaincy, walking out in the middle of a tour due to disagreements with captain, captain bribing his opener to run his partner out, deliberately dropping catches for a bowler you didn't like, slapping opponents, hobnobbing with dons (some of these even our renowned politicians haven't done) and then the more normal dating movie stars, being brand ambassadors, playing football for East Bengal, trying other sports like polo and golf, activing in movies, doing stand up comedy, racing sports bikes, creating ruckus in parliament and assemblies, not attending parliament, getting kissed by a female fan on the field (I think this applies to one of our ex-tennis stars also), trying to dance with film stars in ads with disastrous consequences, playing exhibition matches in US against Pakistan at baseball stadiums and giving US policemen the fright of their lives and so on.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Haha. And you forgot the biggest classic: stealing a pair of socks from a departmental store, or standing silent and allowing the piddly island's racists get away with that allegation on a poor guy.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

arjun2761 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:21 pm
PKBasu wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:13 pm Why re-wash dirty or soiled linen. Let it lie.

To get back to Yuki, yes we should be happy for small mercies. What seems clear is that his body is so fragile that he wouldn’t dare play another tournament before the US Open for fear of jeopardising his participation in the USO. That is a very fragile body. .
Yes, that is my surmise as well. If he is still fit after the US Open, he is likely to play more. Alternatively, in the worst case, he will start his 6 month absence (for PR purposes) right after. Per my understanding, his PR will then give him direct entry into 3 more slams in 2019.
Phew! That would really be gaming the system :-(