Yuki Bhambri

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Yuki Bhambri

Post by PKBasu »

This suggests that Yuki is carrying some sort of niggle. Very unfortunate. He really should be playing a full roster of tournaments at this time of the year, but his body will not let him.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

It is really depressing to find that Yuki has basically been unfit/injured all year, apart from a brief period in March-April when he played well at the IW and Miami Masters and won a Challenger in Taiwan (this last one despite carrying a niggle).

Given that he has a lot of points to defend at WashingtonDC, he is putting extra pressure on himself by not playing at Atlanta. He should start playing some Challengers as well. That he is treading so gingerly on tour is terrible :damn:
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

PKBasu wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:28 am Given that he has a lot of points to defend at WashingtonDC, he is putting extra pressure on himself by not playing at Atlanta. He should start playing some Challengers as well. That he is treading so gingerly on tour is terrible :damn:
While it is terrible, my guess is he is trying to avoid going out on another 6 month injury break at least until the US Open....
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yes, that is what he is clearly focused on avoiding -- and also on ensuring that he PLAYS all the four Slams. That way, he earns a lot of money, but he will also need to pick up some points somewhere. I presume he will focus on that after the US Open. Nonetheless, his physical fitness woes are hindering his ability to develop a properly successful career on the ATP tour.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Yuki is out of DC as well; and with that, he will be close to falling out of the top 100. Grim.

Washington update:
OUT: Bhambri
IN: Duckworth
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Take care Yuki. Come back fitter.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Looks like Yuki has knee injury which has been bothering him since Roland Garros. Looks like he plans to be back at Cincinnnati-

Missing the US Open is unimaginable for me: Bhambri
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Yes, he is definitely very injury prone and it looks like different parts of his body are getting injured.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

What is the cut-off date for the US Open entry list? Is he really assured of being in the main draw?

Good to see that he is planning to be back for the Cincinnati Masters, although the knee inflammation seems serious if it has affected him since the French Open.
meyyis

Post by meyyis »

I believe the 16th of July rankings was the cut off date taken for US Open entry. Based on which Yuki was ranked 85 and is assured a Singles MD place.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

sameerph wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:38 am Looks like Yuki has knee injury which has been bothering him since Roland Garros. Looks like he plans to be back at Cincinnnati-

Missing the US Open is unimaginable for me: Bhambri
Hard to believe that the TOPS committee would penalise Yuki for choosing to play in the US Open over tha Asian Games. Is this how you reward good performance? Also, hard courts are very punishing on the body and US Open main draw is the most physically challenging of all, which is why time taken off for conditioning (injury or not) is so crucial to sustain your ranking in the top 100. Yuki needs to double down on his conditioning with a focus on injury prevention. He has mentioned his gym work with a trainer he feels comfortable with. Lets hope he can sustain this over the next few weeks to Cincinnati. :goodluck:

Prof
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

knarayen wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:40 pmHard to believe that the TOPS committee would penalise Yuki for choosing to play in the US Open over tha Asian Games. Is this how you reward good performance?
Actually there is some justification. Especially if playing for the country (when selected) was a requirement for the TOPS program. I assume it was? Based on the article, it seems that he will be back in the TOPS program after the Asiad, so all is fine. The money they would have paid him for the period till Asiad should rightfully go to Divij, as we want him to get ready and win us a medal.

As far as I am concerned, Yuki, if healthy enough to play and win a medal, should play Asiad rather than the US Open. "I don't give a damn for US Open", as I said (in comparison with Asiad). It's the Indian taxpayers money set aside for him - and we have a right to ask him to go win a medal for us... Or a Davis Cup match; and we know that he skipped a DC for us and we almost lost to China - horror! - saying he was not fully fit. And then he went and won a 150K challenger in the next 6 days. I am not accusing him of lying, because I think he truly didn't feel ready 5 days earlier to go practice in China. But the fact is that he wasn't there for us. So, this is kinda becoming a pattern now. There is a limit to how many times we can just have Yuki continue to focus only on the pro tour, when we expect (and NEED) his services for the country. I would still be okay if we let him play US Open, if I felt that he had a chance to go past at least 2 rounds. But he has not crossed the first round in 5 grand slam attempts and has won just one set out of 16 he has played. I would rather have him play at the Asiad and win a medal.

Now, if I were in charge, I wouldn't be vindictive on Yuki, who has after all played for us at the Asiad and won a bronze before. I would even be fine in simply continuing the support, as TOPS is for Olympics preparation and so a break in support during injury-rehab is not fair or ideal. But I will certainly ask him to pay back the money given as support during this period (May 7th through end of Asiad) or the amount he earns at the US Open, whichever is smaller.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Well said Jay.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, I agree with you, Jay. Tops money is to prepare Indian players for Asiad/Olympics and not to promote them for pro events. I had also read that Yuki did not take or apply for the tops money since it was announced early this year as he was certain at that time that he is going to miss Asiad due to US open. So, I am a bit surprised as to why he is upset now for missing out on tops money.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

jayakris wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:26 pm Actually there is some justification. Especially if playing for the country (when selected) was a requirement for the TOPS program. I assume it was? Based on the article, it seems that he will be back in the TOPS program after the Asiad, so all is fine.
This is the cause of ambiguity. The policy clearly states in its policy document that it is aimed at Olympics only. Will paste it below. However from late last year, they have started to deviate from their official policy to include Asian Games / Commonwealth games in its scope (why not extend to SAI Games also then). I bet this was the cause of confusion for Somdev too in that Somdev / Ankita controversy that happened earlier. Its fine if the policy is aimed at non-Olympic games too but atleast modify the Scheme policy document and make an announcement around the same.

Regarding Yuki being upset, I think its a case of him being aware of how its been modified this year to include these sub-games. However, given that he is self-funded from Prize Money (so any injury break upsets the prize-money approach), he sees himself as the worthy candidate as per the official policy document and its a bit of frustration coming out on how the policy is being incorrectly implemented (vis-a-vis policy document that is still available online). Just my personal interpretation on how it has gone.
About TOPS – Objective of the Scheme

The Target Olympic Podium Scheme is a flagship program of the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports which is an attempt to provide assistance to India’s top athletes. The Scheme looks to add a premium to the preparations of these athletes so that they can win Olympic medals in 2020 and 2024 Olympics.Under the Scheme, the Department of Sports shall identify athletes who are potential medal winners in 2020 / 2024 Olympics.The idea of the Scheme is to also keep an eye in the future and fund a Developmental Group of Athletes who are medal prospects for the Olympic Games in Paris in 2024 and Los Angeles Games in 2028.

History of the Scheme

In order to realize India’s Olympic medal dream, at the 2016 (Rio) and 2020 (Tokyo) Olympics, the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports (MYAS) established the Target Olympics Podium Scheme (TOPS or TOP Scheme) in September 2014. To fulfill the objective of this scheme, a committee (TOPS Elite Athletes’ Identification Committee) was constituted to identify the elite athletes who could achieve the Olympic podium. The Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports is responsible for appointment of TOPS members with emphasis on ensuring representation from ‘High-Priority’ sports (Archery, Badminton, Boxing Hockey, Shooting and Wrestling). The total members of the committee are to be decided by MYAS. TOPS constitution does not stipulate minimum/maximum members for the committee. The first committee was constituted under the chairmanship of Shri. Anurag Thakur (MP) and comprised of eminent athletes (Pulella Gopichand, Rahul Dravid, Abhinav Bindra, and Manisha Malhotra) and sports administrators from Sport Authority of India (SAI) and the MYAS [DG SAI and JS (Sports)].