Mahesh Bhupathi thread...

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Mahesh Bhupathi thread...

Post by PKBasu »

Why are we talking about Rio anyway? It is nearly 3 years away! And both Mahesh and Leander are considering their future in 3-6 month bites currently -- quite sensibly.
Varma

Post by Varma »

PKBasu wrote:....And both Mahesh and Leander are considering their future in 3-6 month bites currently -- quite sensibly.
No, not Leander. When most of his peers are taking it month by month, he is taking it Olympic by Olympic basis...which is what he revealed in his post-match interview at US open last week after beating Bryan twins in the semi-finals.
Q. Some of the players on tour who have been on for more than 15 years, like Max Mirnyi, Daniel Nestor, they have said this week they take their career on a month by month basis at this point. Do you feel that way as well, or do you feel if I'm reaching US Open finals how do I ever stop?

LEANDER PAES: I think Radek just answered that. I take it Olympic by Olympic basis.
- Varma
kaustav

Post by kaustav »

Mahesh is going to play few weeks from here with Robert..next week they seeded 2 behind Leander-Nestor at Beijing followed by Shanghai Masters according to Lindstet blog...Hope they click as a pair
Tolamu
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Tolamu »

No Mahesh in Shanghai!! Is he hanging his boots? About time. If he is playing only as a pasttime, it harms his partner's career. Linstedt is pairing with Jurgen Melzer in Shanghai. Leander is pairing with Nestor & Bopanna is pairing with Roger-Vasellin. Can't mix business with .......
kaustav

Post by kaustav »

Tolamu wrote:No Mahesh in Shanghai!! Is he hanging his boots? About time. If he is playing only as a pasttime, it harms his partner's career. Linstedt is pairing with Jurgen Melzer in Shanghai. Leander is pairing with Nestor & Bopanna is pairing with Roger-Vasellin. Can't mix business with .......

Sad..Wanted him to continue as he is younger than Leander/Nestor :(
vk2052

Post by vk2052 »

Dont forget hesh is launching Int tennis league. Auctions are going to be taken in Jan durig aus open. It is a big thing . Hesh will not have any time for his pro tennis when tennis league starts. Aus open may be his last grand slam.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

The more apt question is whether players will have time for his league. Even in the pro league played in the US (Kastles etc.), there are mostly retired or past their prime players. Not sure of the attendance or the payment to players stats in the aforementioned league, but I very much doubt that such a league in India will thrive.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

The top players will not put their maximum efforts in it. Tennis already takes a toll on the bodies of those who go deep every week. If the money is great, they will come and play to a level but not go all out.
vk2052

Post by vk2052 »

it is still not clear what the format would be. it is covered in asia- pacific. so there might be teams of india, dubai, singapore, hong kong, china, australia, malyasia, thailand. If they play home and away- then they are all doomed, as traveling itself takes its toll. The only solution is playing at one venue. That is the only possibility .otherwise this league can not even take off. By having all matches at venue they can make this event a huge one, as top players can spare one week- no work -all pay.It will be sort off a series of exhibition matches.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Mahesh stated he will continue till at least Wimbledon this year -

Bhupathi to continue for another season
“I am playing with Rajeev Ram in Melbourne, we’ll see after that.”
So, that is a new partnership for Australian open.

If he is really looking at playing only a few tournaments, he should seriously consider to partner either Divij or Purav. It can help them a lot playing alongside Mahesh for at least a few tournaments & can also give a boost to their rankings if they do well.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Interesting development, this pairing of MB with Rajeev Ram. Good for the latter, although he should have found a more permanent partner by now.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Mahesh confirmed that he will retire after Wimbledon -

Wimbledon 2014 will be my last Grand Slam: Mahesh Bhupathi
I will be pairing up with Marcin Matkowski at Wimbledon and hope to do well in my last outing at SW19.
I'd love to represent India if I am called upon to do so. There is nothing that compares to playing for the country and while Wimbledon will be my last Grand Slam, I will still be available for the Davis Cup and the Asian Games.
With this, it is difficult to see him being picked for davis cup or Asian games if he is not in playing touch at that time.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

This is a nice article on Mahesh from Sania -

Quietly brilliant
It is unfortunate that one of India's finest tennis players has played the last professional match of his career and is yet to be accorded the kind of hero's farewell, which he so richly deserves, by the media or the country's tennis fraternity. Mahesh Bhupathi would rank as an all-time great doubles player but, sadly, his exit from the game has been unceremonious.
Yes, it is sad that he has not been given proper farwell partly due to his differences with AITA. Probably, they could have selected him for the mixed doubles at Asiad and with Sania they could have still formed a potent pair with gold medal chances.
kaustav

Post by kaustav »

A very good gesture from Sania....I liked it and believe Mahesh should have been given farewell..Or may be he is having another plan in his sleeves..Donno really :(
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

Part of the mistake is with Mahesh for not announcing his retirement at all. There were vague statements about competing for the very last time with a partner at the Big W this year, which fizzled out and he never showed up...
He denied himself of a farewell on the ATP tour. May be, he should have asked for a farewell at the National level.....