Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Leander Paes thread...

Post by PKBasu »

And there was this tribute on the ATP website as well:

https://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/at ... ns-tribute
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

PKBasu wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:51 pm And there was this tribute on the ATP website as well:

That's a great tribute article. More importantly, he is not that far from getting past mirnyi and Todd Woodbridge to the number 3 position in the total number of doubles wins!!

Prof
Florian Buechting

Post by Florian Buechting »

Hi,
PKBasu wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:51 pm And there was this tribute on the ATP website as well:

loved that pic, so I took the risk for a copyright fraud and used it for my praise on Leander on my new sports / travel blog:

http://flyctory.com/2018/04/10/ode-to-m ... nder-paes/

Hope you (or he) like(s) it!
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Lovely passionate blog entry, Florian ... :clap:
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Good one, Florian. :clap:

This is another article on Leander in Mumbai Mirror-

RECORD-BREAKING TENNIS LEGEND LEANDER PAES REFLECTS ON CHANGING ROLE IN DAVIS CUP
He re-lives a match like it was played five minutes ago. The moments are impeccably structured in his unfailing memory even as the mind rallies between past and present. In the middle of a sentence, he talks of Rohan Bopanna’s fabulous forehand when India are trailing 15-30 against China. Soon he tells you the exact scores of Yuki Bhambri and Ramkumar Ramanathan playing a tournament in Taiwan and how their tie-breakers panned out.
“I’m a student of the game,” Paes, who achieved a world record of 43 doubles wins during the Davis Cup rubber against China, says. “I follow these youngsters very closely.”
Great that he takes so much interest to follow matches of Yuki,RamK etc. around the world. Can become a good coach/mentor for someone post his retirement.
vparam

Post by vparam »

Anyone know when Leander plans to get back on the court? He hasn't played a match in some time.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, he has not played since davis cup. He is now probably not interested in playing challengers and he cannot get into masters tournaments like Monte Carlo now with his ranking. I was thinking he will play in Budapest next week where Divij and Purav are playing . Probably, he will be back the week after when there are 3 ATP tournaments in Europe.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Florian Buechting wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:26 pm

loved that pic, so I took the risk for a copyright fraud and used it for my praise on Leander on my new sports / travel blog:

http://flyctory.com/2018/04/10/ode-to-m ... nder-paes/

Hope you (or he) like(s) it!
Brilliant Florian.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

This is a nice detailed interview of Leander in India today-

I am at peace with what I have achieved: Leander Paes to India Today
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Wonderful interview, with a very clear hint that Leander is about to retire (but perhaps only after the September World Group DC tie!).

We always talk about his win over Boetsch (who was ranked 16 then) in Frejus, but of course Leander also beat Henri Leconte (the 1988 French Open finalist) in singles there. Ironically Leconte/Boetsch won the doubles (beating Paes/Krishnan), but the 30 year-old Leconte couldn't play the reverse singles, and Ramesh beat Rodolphe Gilbert then. Ramesh himself was 32+ and in semi-retirement, but he played a tournament before each of the DC fixtures that year -- he beat Michael Stich to reach R3 at Key Biscayne before the Switzerland tie, and he dealt a psychological blow by beating Cedric Pioline (the Frenchman who had trouble with the French federation) just before the Frejus tie, and he played the US Open qualifiers just before the SF against Australia in Chandigarh. I was at the South Club in Calcutta for Ramesh's decisive victory over Hlasek, and I was in the stands at Flushing Meadows for Ramesh's close loss in Q3, so I remember the events of that year rather vividly!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Happy 45th Birthday, Leander Adrian Paes.

But where is he? With two weeks to go before Wimbledon, still no sign of him on the tour.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

As per his previous interview, he has planned to play Wimbledon but with whom, is a good question. :)
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

PKBasu wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:41 pm Happy 45th Birthday, Leander Adrian Paes.

But where is he? With two weeks to go before Wimbledon, still no sign of him on the tour.
He was supposedly in the entry list of ATP Stuttgart with Cerretani but withdrew. It could be that he needs to sort out the personal issues as I think Supreme Court had given the Family court 3 months (which ends in mid-June I think) to sort out and make a decision.

Hope he gets back sooner than later.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Leander seems to be in semi-retirement, having skipped the clay and grass seasons this year, including Wimbledon. Sad to see this rather unceremonious decision to fade.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

PKBasu wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:44 amLeander seems to be in semi-retirement, having skipped the clay and grass seasons this year, including Wimbledon. Sad to see this rather unceremonious decision to fade.
Yeah, I hope he hasn't retired already. Strangely, many tennis players seem to retire very unceremoniously.