Leander Paes thread...

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Leander Paes thread...

Post by PKBasu »

Leander is on a roll this year, back at his best as a doubles player -- and ready to climb quickly back up to the top 10 in men's doubles rankings.
I think his MxD victory at the AO was a crucial spur to his improved performances. Now he's won his first title of the year over the strong field at the Dubai Open, and followed it up with a nice victory over the 2nd seeds in Delray Beach -- and that despite taking on a new partner in Ninad Zimonjic. Well done Leander! Way to Go...
If only he would also spare a few weeks for singles, perhaps for the two Challengers in India next month. On current form, he should do very well in (perhaps even win both) those.
Last edited by Dhruv on Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
gvhvhg

Re: Leander Paes thread...

Post by gvhvhg »

As far as i am concerned as long as he keeps on playing doubles, I dont give a shit!(to an extent.) Doubles victories are virtually meaningless to me.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I strongly disagree, and have signed a petition on Steve Gotcha's site asking the ATP to promote doubles more. I would urge other members of the forum to do the same...
The notion that doubles don't count is absurd. Most of us who play tennis -- and this is true around the world -- spend the majority of our time playing doubles. The skills involved (volleying, anticipation, reflexes, angles) are quite different from the accent on power that is the modern singles game. Encouraging doubles will bring subtlety back to tennis, and raise its attraction to a wider audience.
Indians -- being serve and volleyers primarily, brought up on grass or grass-like surfaces -- are natural doubles players. Even Ramesh Krishnan, who hardly ever played doubles, had one title in doubles (versus 8 in singles) and won the veterans doubles at Wimbledon a few years ago. From Mukerjea-Lall to Amritraj-Amritraj, Paes-Bhupathi and now perhaps Amritraj-AmritrajII, India has a proud doubles tradition, and we should be prime advocates for the promotion and advancement of doubles.
nkoth

Post by nkoth »

Leander continues his roll in doubles! He's into tomorrow's final at Delray Beach.

Paes/Zimonjic d. Gambill/Oliver 63 36 63

-neil
nkoth

Post by nkoth »

Leander just keeps on winning -- he just beat Mahesh and Tim in his R2 match at Indian Wells. Sounds like a dandy 3 setter! Guess I'll have to wait for Jay's report on it...

Paes/Rikl d. Bhupathi/Henman 6-2, 3-6, 6-2

Top seeds in the next round -- Lee and Rikl can take 'em!
-neil
Peter

Post by Peter »

LP/DR WON today at Indian Wells. UPSET the top seeds M Knowles/D Nestor: 6-4, 7-6 (4)

Just one word: Wow! :notworthy: :notworthy:

i had the privilege of being in the stands at yesterday's match. It felt very surreal, seeing both LP and MB on the same court, albeit on opposite sides of the net. (This was a scenario, also during the Aussie open MxD earlier this year). A thoroughly enjoyable match regardless. i am going to switch off ESPN and go to the courts more often :D
Last edited by Peter on Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Leander looks unstoppable in doubles at the moment. Let's hope he maintains the momentum right through the French Open and Wimbledon --and takes both the Men's and Mixed Doubles titles at both...! Leander-Rikl look like a world-beating combination at the moment, and LP is on an absolute tear (roll) with last week's win in the company of Ninad Zimonjic.

If these are the sorts of results that will flow from his decision to sacrifice his singles career, then it may just be worth it. (But I do not withdraw my remarks above!!).
I envy you folks who got to see LP and MB face each other...
Peter

Post by Peter »

The semi-final lineup for tomorrow has LP/DR vs the Bryan brothers (Bob & Mike). And an intriguing finals possibility with Bjorkman/Woodbridge.

Just about all the top doubles teams are (were) at Indian Wells. Something about the recent rule change.

Outstanding tennis stadium/facilities out there. And a very polite audience (What the Williams sisters think about racism is simply absurd!). Also, wonderfully warm California nights (in the middle of winter!). And world-class tennis. All this for less than $20. Is this a great country or what? :D
Last edited by Peter on Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

lets not start praising a country whose leader is george Bush. Lets not start praisng a country whose inhabitants all think that cricket is croquet. Lets not start praising a country where you must get a dish to watch the world cup, and if you're building doesn't allow a dish then you're screwed like me!!!!!!!

But don't get me wrong, i am not being predjudice or anything like that, i just don't think that this land of the free is as perfect as it supposedly is. By the way i am refferring to this comment.
Is this a great country or what?
Peter

Post by Peter »

gvhvhg (What kind of a name is that?),

Lighten up, dude. Things must be pretty bleary in NYC :D

Just a gentle reminder about the subject (Indian tennis). And a discussion forum for grown-ups. Nothing in your post seems relevant. What is your point anyway?

Several of our players (LP, MB, Harsh and the upcoming Prakash & Sunitha) made it to the top because of the opportunities they have had here in the U.S.

For the last time on this,

Peter
Last edited by Peter on Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

And it better be or I'll lock this thread or start deleting you guys posts on this matter :D
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Well my live commentary in the chat forum where I was talking to myself.
#8 L.Paes/ D.Rikl trail M.Bryan/B.Bryan 2-4
#8 L.Paes/ D.Rikl trail M.Bryan/B.Bryan 2-5
#8 L.Paes/ D.Rikl trail M.Bryan/B.Bryan 3-6
#8 L.Paes/ D.Rikl trail M.Bryan/B.Bryan 3-6 0-0
#8 L.Paes/ D.Rikl trail M.Bryan/B.Bryan 3-6 1-2 (down a break in the second set)
#8 L.Paes/ D.Rikl trail M.Bryan/B.Bryan 3-6 2-2 (one break each)
#8 L.Paes/ D.Rikl trail M.Bryan/B.Bryan 3-6 3-3 (one break each)
#8 L.Paes/ D.Rikl trail M.Bryan/B.Bryan 3-6 4-3 (one break each)
#8 L.Paes/ D.Rikl trail M.Bryan/B.Bryan 3-6 4-4 (one break each)
#8 L.Paes/ D.Rikl trail M.Bryan/B.Bryan 3-6 5-4 (one break each)
#8 L.Paes/ D.Rikl trail M.Bryan/B.Bryan 3-6 5-5 (one break each)
#8 L.Paes/ D.Rikl trail M.Bryan/B.Bryan 3-6 6-5 (one break each)
#8 L.Paes/ D.Rikl trail M.Bryan/B.Bryan 3-6 6-6 (one break each)
2-2
#8 L.Paes/ D.Rikl trail M.Bryan/B.Bryan 3-6 6-6 (one break each)
tiebreak 3-2
tiebreak 4-2 minibreak
tiebreak 5-2 minibreaks :)
tiebreak 5-4 minibreaks back :(
tiebreak 5-5
tiebreak 5-6
tiebreak 6-6
tiebreak 6-7 minbreak :<
Bryans serving for the match
[SF] #8 L.Paes/ D.Rikl lose to M.Bryan/B.Bryan 3-6 6-7(6)
Rishav

Post by Rishav »

LEANDER!!!LEANDER!!!LEANDER!!! HE is the BEST. mma. He'll always be my hero and I shall always look upto him as my idol. LEander, U are just great. :xmas: :xmas: :xmas: . BUt play doubles for at least 3 years more. For my sake, please. :roll: :roll:
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Well the LP doubles train keeps rolling on this time just barely though but a win is a win. :)

#6 David Rikl CZE/Leander Paes IND d. PetrPala CZE/David Prinosil GER 36 62 76(5)

They next meet up with Donald Johnson and Rick Leach in the 2nd round.
nkoth

Post by nkoth »

Onto the third round!

DavidRikl CZE / LeanderPaes IND (6) d. Donald Johnson USA / Rick Leach USA 6-4 7-6 (7-2)

Bjorkman and Woodbridge (#2 seeds) could be their next opponent...

-neil