Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Leander Paes thread...

Post by sameerph »

Looks like AITA has taken a decision not to consider him for davis cup after his Asiad pull put -

AITA takes tough stance on Leander Paes
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Ridiculous logic, and a rather silly article full of false information. Leander stopped playing during the clay and grass season (perhaps because of personal issues), but was focused on the Asiad -- until it became clear that he wasn't going to get a proper doubles partner for the Asiad. So he pulled out and has returned to the circuit, making an ATP tournament final (at Winston-Salem three weeks ago) and now a Challenger final. "Leander's performance on the ATP tour this year hasn't been good" is just utter trash; that a reporter can write such tripe is astonishing.
kaustav

Post by kaustav »

Agree with PKB ...Leander should end his career with grace and avoid Indian team all together...He doesn't need to prove anything to the reporter and AITA...Just focus to end his career on high...
Ravishankar Krishnan

Post by Ravishankar Krishnan »

I disagree with PKB sir. Why would he withdraw a couple of days prior to the Asian Games? He evidently signed up for wildcard at Winston Salem, so obviously it was a premeditated decision. Him withdrawing a day before the games was awful. It's unfair to not criticise him simply because he is a legend, which he absolutely is.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

It's time to move on from LP. we have younger players that have similar rankings and he does not pair up well with Rohan, so we don't gain much by having him as a player. We do lose the drama though :p
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Leander/Miguel have lost the first set in the final 3-6 to Bambridge/Skupski.

At $150K+H Chicago Challenger 2018, USA

Doubles Final
(1) Leander Paes (IND)/ Miguel Angel Reyes-Varela (MEX) l (2) Luke Bambridge (GBR)/ Neal Skupski (GBR) 36 46
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

arjun2761 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:06 pm It's time to move on from LP. we have younger players that have similar rankings and he does not pair up well with Rohan, so we don't gain much by having him as a player. We do lose the drama though :p
I have no problem with picking Divij ahead of Leander. But we need to win the doubles against Serbia. It shouldn’t be too difficult to remember that Leander/Rohan turned around the tie against China with an epic doubles win.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

arjun2761 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:06 pm It's time to move on from LP. we have younger players that have similar rankings and he does not pair up well with Rohan, so we don't gain much by having him as a player. We do lose the drama though :p
Do we have any data to support the claim that a younger player/Rohan is/was better than LP-Rohan? Except for Divij, who is injured, who has a better record (including playing at the ATP, challenger, level etc.) and against what opposition?

I don't see an obviously young, promising player whom we should invest in. We have a bunch of retreads whose best can be around #40 or so in doubles ATP. So, the argument that we are doing some team-building by getting a younger player who has not done much and is not that young either is iffy. I am willing to be proven wrong by their records (as opposed to subjective opinions).

If he was not included because of disciplinary reasons, I support that. But, we have to use the same yardstick with Sumit. Also, since we do not have that many star players, we have to have a policy allowing some players to pull out but give them a deadline to commit or not. And, maybe something like they can take one match off, or they have to be available for 75% of the matches, etc. instead of demanding 100% attendance to allow players to balance their tour careers, which is their livelihood, with DC/AG, etc.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

PKBasu wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:55 pm I have no problem with picking Divij ahead of Leander. But we need to win the doubles against Serbia. It shouldn’t be too difficult to remember that Leander/Rohan turned around the tie against China with an epic doubles win.
I actually remember that as a tie that those two almost lost, when they had no business losing it or coming anywhere close to losing it. It took all of LP's grit to turn it around, if I am to guess.

The point is that LP and Rohan just do not play well together. That is the fact. There was really no point in LP to beat that dead horse, wanting to play with RB. I don't even know why LP makes it worse for himself and makes himself look bad, rather than move on with what would be best for himself. I wanted Lee to play with RamK, and I can swear on my life that Lee would have won an Asiad medal with him... and he could have retired with some respect that he richly deserves. I don't even know if he asked for that team. Had he pressed for an LP-RR pairing and AITA refused, I would be fully on LP's side, but I am not with LP when he keeps complaining about RB not playing with him. But he has only himself to blame for messing things up and picking up ill will for no reasons.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

When it comes to the national team, players should not be picking and choosing their partners. The coach/selectors should be doing that. If this is Mahesh's call, I am fine with that although I may disagree with his choice. But, if it is RB's call, then that is a poor system.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Leander is playing in the St. Petersburg Open partnering Miguel ... They r facing the top-seeds Inglot and Skugor.

At $1.2M St. Petersburg Open 2018, Russia

[R1] Leander Paes (IND)/ Miguel Angel Reyes-Varela (MEX) vs (1) Dominic Inglot (GBR)/ Franko Skugor (CRO)
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Leander and Miguel have an excellent stat as they defeated the top-seeds Inglot and Skugor in two tie-breaks ... Next, they r facing the Italian pairing of Berrettini and Fognini.

[R1] Leander Paes (IND)/ Miguel Angel Reyes-Varela (MEX) bt (1) Dominic Inglot (GBR)/ Franko Skugor (CRO) 76(5) 76(5)

[QF] Leander Paes (IND)/ Miguel Angel Reyes-Varela (MEX) vs Matteo Berrettini (ITA)/ Fabio Fognini (ITA)
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Leander and Miguel lost in straight sets against the Italian pairing of Berrettini and Fognini ... They failed to build on their upset win over the top-seeds.

[QF] Leander Paes (IND)/ Miguel Angel Reyes-Varela (MEX) l Matteo Berrettini (ITA)/ Fabio Fognini (ITA) 67(4) 36
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Leander is traveling all over the world with Miguel ... They r back in the US and playing the Charlottesville Challenger.

At $75 Charlottesville Challenger 2018, Virginia, USA

[R1] (1) Leander Paes (IND)/ Miguel Angel Reyes-Varela (MEX) vs qualifiers
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Lee and Miguel needed to fight back against the qualifiers for completing win in extra points of the match tie-break ... Next, they r facing Kings for a place in the quarters.

At $75 Charlottesville Challenger 2018, Virginia, USA

[R1] (1) Leander Paes (IND)/ Miguel Angel Reyes-Varela (MEX) bt (Q) Evgeny Karlovskiy (RUS)/ Nino Serdarusic (CRO) 46 76(0) 13-11

[QF] (1) Leander Paes (IND)/ Miguel Angel Reyes-Varela (MEX) vs Darian King (BAR)/ Evan King (USA)