Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Rohan Bopanna thread...

Post by jayakris »

Atithee wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:37 am This camp in Dubai is nothing but self aggrandizing. Serves no purpose. And, Sania has an academy in Dubai? Does she have one in india too? What has that academy produced so far? Junkets like these?
Why do you say it serves no purposes? A gang of top Indian players are out there and spending a few days playing some doubles and (maybe) picking up something from each other in terms of techniques or tips to improve their games. Better than their going and sitting in India, watching Bollywood movies and eating vada-sambar. Why should we criticize if those players are all interested in going and doing it? It serves whatever purpose they all have. As long as our taxpayer money is not spent on it, I won't complain. If that were the case, there were certainly better things to do with Govt money in tennis.

Yes, Sania has had an academy in Hyderabad for quite some time, and the Dubai place is new - as she lives there, and not Hyderabad. A smaller place in center Hyderabad and a larger place with some 12 courts at Murthuzaguda in the outskirts. Imran Mirza runs it. Not sure who the coaches are. Imran himself was doing some, I believe.

The Hyderabad region (Telangana and AP) are producing a good number of decent tennis players in the juniors these days too. More than what we see from say Kolkata and Bengaluru (I think). I don't think Sania is directly responsible for any of that. Maybe some players do get indirectly motivated by her, still.

You are just too negative these days :) .... But then again, seeing where we are in tennis now, I can't blame you either!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Rajiv wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:38 am If Rohan was really keen to help out these guys like what Vijay & Ramesh did , the least he could do was to partner anyone of them for Pune if not Ram, but he still went for a foreign Dutch partner Zandshulp for Pune in absence of Ebden his partner for Y23.
Rajiv, other than RamK, others are all with their partners, right? He may not want to pick any of them and cause frictions. They are all relatively similar in abilities (except Yuki, but he may be set with Saketh, so asking him would put Yuki in a tight spot). It would be the same for other regular parings. Maybe Arjun was available?... It may be just to stay out of trouble from upsetting others by picking some one guy in his gang at Dubai that the "gang-leader" might have decided to go for a foreigner. I don't know. Just saying...

Bops has played with other Indians before - including RamK last year. I was not happy at all that he did not play more with RamK to help him out last year. Actually pretty upset then. But frankly now, seeing RamK's behavior on court lately, I don't know if I would blame Bops (or anybody) anymore for deciding not to play with him. RamK seems to have become that "toxic" on the tour, and there is no way to correct it unless he himself gets a grip on things wrt court behavior.

Who knows? I am just guessing. You may know more. But other than RamK (and Yuki), I don't really care if Bops played with other Indians, who can't really do much with such help from him anyway. Sumit also, of course, but he is not focusing on doubles yet.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

^^ Jay, yes my pessimism is clouding my emotions and hence the recent negativity in posting. I need some “Basuade” pronto.

The players can just watch film at home eating vada-sambar. It’ll do them a lot of good. They can self-analyze or sit with a local coach to evaluate their decision making at key moments, positioning to play a return of serve or shot making, serve mechanics, etc. More than they would do on this trip, which will surely be a large part eating and shopping.

I still maintain, without any negativity, that this trip is just a shameless self aggrandizing attempt by Rohan to make him feel important and as if he’s doing a huge service to Indian tennis. He is not.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

I don't know why being so negative about it. He never said that he is doing any great service by doing this. From what accounts I have seen in press he is not charging much on this and has also managed to rope in sponsers. I feel at least the younger ones there like say Aniruddh Chandrashekhar or Arjun will benefit if not anything by getting to hit with some pretty good doubles players at one place for few days.

Btw, Rohan also his acadamy in Bengaluru and have seem some juniors mentioning about that . This is one of the articles-

Rohan Bopanna Academy excels in Nationals

Rethin Pranav is one of the better upcoming under 16 players. Lets see how he progresses from here.
Rajiv
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Rajiv »

sameerph wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:38 pm From what accounts I have seen in press he is not charging much on this and has also managed to rope in sponsers.
Oh ..So he is even making money from this,I was under the impression it was a noble gesture by him to organise this gathering , which means his coach,other coaches and the ever present Physio who is every where , too must have demanded their pound of flesh.
To these costs add the air tickets (Business Class for some), Hotels , all this must have cost a big amount to the sponsors.

Feel if the same amount was spent on a bunch of Juniors in funding their trip abroad would have produced a better end result than this Vada Sambar :D conference.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

@Rajiv—let Rohan have his moment in sun. The chamchas will come back admiring how generous Rohan “sir” was and how much they benefited from this camp. At least it can’t hurt much. If sponsors want to pay for this, more power to Rohan. No one forced anyone to attend the camp. If people want to spend their money to buy the air ticket, so be it. Who are we to question their expense and intent.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Atithee wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:13 am If sponsors want to pay for this, more power to Rohan.
That is the bottom line. I mean, this is doubles. In this world where nobody cares for it, here is Rohan finding somebody to pay for this many players not even in the top-100 to fly to Dubai and do this. More power to him!
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Yeah absolutely. We always complain about lack of opportunities and sponsorship.

Anyway, the juniors in India have enough opportunities I feel. Lots of tournaments, quite a few camps, dedicated training center (NTC). Believe it or not, there are more opportunities in India than what most players outside India have.

Rajiv - any inside info on why RamK didn’t go? The camp could have benefited him I would think.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Nice ego trip for Rohan to host this doubles camp for Indian players, particularly those just outside the top 100. RamK isn't attending presumably because he also needs to work on his singles game (and Bopanna ditched him after they had won two tournaments as a pair at the start of 2022). Yuki-Saketh presumably think they have better coaching help elsewhere -- and perhaps Yuki is secretly doing some singles drills too :)

As for the near future of Indian tennis. Let's not be unnecessarily depressed by the current low in rankings (about to get a lot worse for RamK in doubles, unless he can win a couple of ATP tournaments at the beginning of 2023). India has just the answer in the Maharashtra Open, followed by the 3 100K Challengers -- the perfect fora to regain form and ranking through home tournaments. So, all the best to the Indian contingent at those events -- and to Rohan and his acolytes in Dubai.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 725430.cms

Is Rohan really doing something or is this cheap publicity?
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

^^It’s the same program we discussed earlier. Some audacity to mention it’ll help RR, who chose to skip this “camp.”
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Yes, good on Rohan. Nobody is forced to come. If players are willingly going and getting some coaching and connections, good on them and thanks to him for doing this. I do hope that Rohan and Ramk pair up and play a bunch of things together. And Saketh/Yuki keep it flying high.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Rohan lost in second round at Adelaide-2.

At Adelaide-2 ATP 250

[R1] (5) Rohan Bopanna (IND) / Mathew Ebden (AUS) bye

[R2] (5) Rohan Bopanna (IND) / Mathew Ebden (AUS) l. Nicolas Mahut (FRA) / Tim Puertz (GER) 67(4) 57

So, bad start to the year for Bops- losses in first match in Pune and Adelaide.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

And now this is going to put pressure on him as all of a sudden has lost 500 points.

Might affect his game as will be cautious and might put him under pressure and won't be able to play freely compared to last year which he started with 2 tournament wins which built up the confidence momentum for the rest of the year.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Well, he can serve Indian tennis better by holding more camps.