Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Rohan Bopanna thread...

Post by jayakris »

In live doubles rankings, Koolhof and Skupski are now at #1 and #2 spot... Ram and Salisbury have dropped two spots to #3 and #4, though they are at the top based on this Monday's ATP rankings. Not sure how that happened when both these teams are in the QFs at the Paris Masters! Anyway, Bops and Matwe will have their hands full tomorrow, against Kool-Ski.
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

jayakris wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:40 pm In live doubles rankings, Koolhof and Skupski are now at #1 and #2 spot... Ram and Salisbury have dropped two spots to #3 and #4, though they are at the top based on this Monday's ATP rankings. Not sure how that happened when both these teams are in the QFs at the Paris Masters!
If I am not wrong, Ram and Salisbury are the defending champions and those 1000 points would drop off at the end of Paris masters. On the other hand, Skupski/Koolhof were defending 90/0 points giving them the upper hand. If I understand the numbers correctly, they just have to reach the finals here to keep that #1 spot in next week's official ranking list...

:goodluck: to Bops. A title here, although far fetched, will get him back into Top-10
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ No such miracles today against the #1 team...

At the €6,008,725 Rolex Paris master ATP (Hard):

[QF] Rohan Bopanna (IND)/ Matwe Middelkoop (NED) l. (2) Wesley Koolhof (NED) /Neal Skupski (GBR), 36 46

Hey, they got some points and ~$22K each at Paris. Can't complain.
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

Apparently, Rohan is a two-time winner in this tournament although it was several years back. Good show overall though to make top 8 at his current age.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I think he and Aisam Quereshi are the only 42 year olds in the top-100. Not sure who is older. They are almost the same age. But Bops being #19 at this stage is simply amazing. Aisam is in the top-75

...And one of Bops' Paris titles was with Aisam, and the other was next year with Mahesh, beating Aisam!

What I will always remember is Lee and Hesh destroying the Flying Dutchmen Eltigh/Haarhuis back in 1998 in Paris.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

As per Vatsal's interview article at ITD, Matwe Middlekoop won't be playing with Bops next year. He says he really likes Bops and all the advice he got from him in becoming a top doubles player (his best season so far was this year with Bops) - but he is looking for a longer term partnership with a much younger (though still 35!) Robin Haase, also from Netherlands.

Not sure whom Bops will be playing with, next year. I would have loved to suggest RamK, but I just don't know where RamK is these days, in his tennis and in handling his mental demons.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

That's the problem with age in sports. But Rohan has proven that if a young guy wants to scale up, he is a good partner to bank on. As for Matwe, it would interesting how he fares post his partnership with Rohan. I wish him well. Did Lee's many young partners (not the personal ones ;) ) do well eventually?
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I’m starting to think that an Indian maybe better pairing with a non-Indian for success in tennis doubles. Sure, travel cost sharing with an Indian helps, but that’s all there seems to be the yield. I used to think the other way, but I’ve come around to change my thinking.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

jayakris wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:01 am
Not sure whom Bops will be playing with, next year. I would have loved to suggest RamK, but I just don't know where RamK is these days, in his tennis and in handling his mental demons.
It is looks unlikely that Rohan will partner Ram, and as things have panned out this year, in all possibility Rohan would end up most likely teaming up with a top 20 or 30 foreign player in 2023.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Rohan is organizing a doubles camp in Dubai -

Rohan Bopanna hosts doubles camp in Dubai
“Ramkumar has his own reason. Saketh and Yuki were scheduled to join but are injured”, observed Bopanna, who has channelised support from Pune Metropolitan District Tennis Association (PMDTA) and KPIT for the camp.
Ok, that may be the reason why Yuki and Saki wound up the season early. Hope they get fit and ready for Pune ATP.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:58 pm
“Ramkumar has his own reason.”, observed Bopanna
That fits with what I expected. Pretty much like saying, "I have no clue what that dude is up to" :)

But it is good that Bops and Sania are doing this. It can only help.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

IMHO, feel these camps serve no real purpose except for a year end retreat for the doubles gang paid up by the sponsors.

If Rohan was really keen to help out these guys like what Vijay & Ramesh did , the least he could do was to partner anyone of them for Pune if not Ram, but he still went for a foreign Dutch partner Zandshulp for Pune in absence of Ebden his partner for Y23.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Rajiv wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:38 am IMHO, feel these camps serve no real purpose except for a year end retreat for the doubles gang paid up by the sponsors.

If Rohan was really keen to help out these guys like what Vijay & Ramesh did , the least he could do was to partner anyone of them for Pune if not Ram, but he still went for a foreign Dutch partner Zandshulp for Pune in absence of Ebden his partner for Y23.
Yes and Bops/RamK are defending champs at Pune. They would have got in too based on their combined rankings but they are not playing together which is strange. Is that the reason why RamK did not turn up for this camp ? I mean I am just speculating.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

This camp in Dubai is nothing but self aggrandizing. Serves no purpose. And, Sania has an academy in Dubai? Does she have one in india too? What has that academy produced so far? Junkets like these?
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Looking more closely about Rohan's partner at the Pune Open , Botic Zandschulp , this Dutch Guy is not even ranked in top 100 for the Doubles.
And here was was the perfect opportunity to partner a Indian in a flagship Indian open and with Ebden not available , but still Rohan goes out of his way keeping with his mantra of not partnering any Indian and finds a 121 ranked foreigner.

Forget Ram ,Saki, or Yuki , even Jeevan & Bala are higher ranked than Botic , and then to cover up the transgression , organises some inconsequential camp to show the naive targets in India that he is doing a lot in supporting Indian players , when a simple act of partnering an Indian player in a major home event would have gone a long way in terms of help and support.