All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Rohan Bopanna thread...

Post by jaydeep »

A straight-sets win for Rohan and Shapo against Fritz and Edmund ... In the quarters, they r facing a pairing of Benoit Paire and Stan Wawrinka.

At $6.3M Rogers Cup 2019, Montreal, Canada

[R2] Rohan Bopanna (IND)/ Denis Shapovalov (CAN) bt Kyle Edmund (GBR)/ Taylor Fritz (USA) 63 64

[QF] Rohan Bopanna (IND)/ Denis Shapovalov (CAN) vs Benoit Paire (FRA)/ Stan Wawrinka (SUI)
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Rohan and Shapo received a walkover due to Wawrinka knee injury ... Next, they r facing a Dutch pair, who scored a tight upset win over Bryans.

[QF] Rohan Bopanna (IND)/ Denis Shapovalov (CAN) bt Benoit Paire (FRA)/ Stan Wawrinka (SUI) w/o

[SF] Rohan Bopanna (IND)/ Denis Shapovalov (CAN) vs Robin Haase (NED)/ Wesley Koolhof (NED)
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Rohan and Shapo lost in close two tie-breaks against a Dutch pair.

[SF] Rohan Bopanna (IND)/ Denis Shapovalov (CAN) l Robin Haase (NED)/ Wesley Koolhof (NED) 67(3) 67(7)
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Rohan playing with Shapo as an alternate pair in the Cincinnati Masters ... They started with a tight win over Rajeev and Salisbury ... Next, they r facing a WR #1 Colombian pair.

At $6.7M Western and Southern Open 2019, Cincinnati, U.S.A.

[R1] (Alt) Rohan Bopanna (IND)/ Denis Shapovalov (CAN) bt Rajeev Ram (USA)/ Joe Salisbury (GBR) 76(6) 75

[R2] (Alt) Rohan Bopanna (IND)/ Denis Shapovalov (CAN) vs (1) Juan Sebastian Cabal (COL)/ Robert Farah (COL)
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Rohan and Shapo lost a very close match against the WR #1 Colombian pair.

At $6.7M Western and Southern Open 2019, Cincinnati, U.S.A.

[R2] (Alt) Rohan Bopanna (IND)/ Denis Shapovalov (CAN) l (1) Juan Sebastian Cabal (COL)/ Robert Farah (COL) 67(3) 76(5) 8-10
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Interview with Bopanna after his MxD match. He is super nice and very easy to talk to. I wasn’t sure if he was going to agree to the interview but I put in a request through the media desk and he accepted!!

This is the last one for me. Had a great time doing these but it’s time to get back to work :)

Asked Rohan on what it takes for us as a nation to develop players who can succeed at this level..

https://indiantennisdaily.com/2019/09/0 ... -requires/
punarayan

Post by punarayan »

Gautam, Great reporting! Maybe a new line of work? I was hoping that you would be there this Monday - the first time that I am able to get there. Will check out Nanda, who you reported on. Yes, Rohan is very casual and open. Nice going.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Gautam, great reporting. I read all the interviews you posted. On Rohan’s suggestion that government needs to do more—I fail to understand why a government should do all this in a country like India, where private sponsorships can barely fund the enterprise, and yet the charters of the world sports bodies promulgate rules that government cannot interfere. You can’t have your cake and eat it too.

On telecasts, the fact of the matter is that absolutely no one cares about doubles as much as India does. There’s very little (and I’m being generous) international appeal for it on TV simply because there is so much marketable singles to telecast. Perhaps, there isn’t even infrastructure available to telecast/stream these matches, even if an Indian broadcaster wanted to cover it.

Frankly, I wish there were a way to have separate doubles thread on this forum and ability to suppress them. I have no interest in following doubles tennis as much as I enjoy playing doubles in real life. MxD, as you point out in the interview, is played only at Slams. It’s TV appeal is minuscule.

What do you think? What do others think?
S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by S_K_S »

:Offtopic: but the below link shows you what £70m gets you

https://www.lta.org.uk/globalassets/abo ... t-2018.pdf
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Atithee wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:21 pm What do you think? What do others think?
Thanks for the kind words. I had a great time meeting and talking to our players and also having access to the player zones. My highlight however was getting tapped on the shoulder by Sharapova who wanted me to move out of her way. I was blocking the path in one of the tunnels and she tapped my shoulder and said “please excuse me :)

Coming to your question, Bops comment wasn’t about doubles or singles but to build up awareness in general. There does seem to be a lot of interest whenever our players play. All of Rohan’s matches (doubles and mxd) were packed with “Indian” fans. Lots of Shapo fans but also enough support for Rohan. Eurosport was telecasting all of his doubles matches and even the mixed doubles matches live. I think there’s definitely an appetite. A couple of clips that I posted in ITD had thousands of views. I personally don’t care much about doubles or MxD though :)
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

punarayan wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:33 am Gautam, Great reporting! Maybe a new line of work? I was hoping that you would be there this Monday - the first time that I am able to get there. Will check out Nanda, who you reported on. Yes, Rohan is very casual and open. Nice going.
Thank you. I wasn’t there for the Labor Day weekend but I am here today (Tuesday) to watch Fed! Are you here today?
punarayan

Post by punarayan »

Gautam, No - I cannot make the night matches. Live too far away. Federer was not himself yesterday, and an era is coming to an end. I saw Monfils and Berratinni up close and enjoyed their tennis. One of them can give Nadal a run for the money.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Rohan and Shapo r facing a Russian pair in the first round.

At $8.3M Rolex Shanghai Masters 2019, China

[R1] Rohan Bopanna (IND)/ Denis Shapovalov (CAN) vs Karen Khachanov (RUS)/ Andrey Rublev (RUS)
meyyis

Post by meyyis »

At $8.3M Rolex Shanghai Masters 2019, China

[R1] Rohan Bopanna (IND)/ Denis Shapovalov (CAN) d. Karen Khachanov (RUS)/ Andrey Rublev (RUS) : 6-1, 6-4
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Good commanding win for Rohan and Shapo.