[Tennis] Misc. Results for Indians abroad...

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

[Tennis] Misc. Results for Indians abroad...

Post by Dhruv »

Well, I thought I'd start this thread where we can post the results etc. for Indian players across the globe such as the Aussie satellite leg 1 qualies etc. I guess basically a thread to follow on our second line of players after RB,HM,SKS etc.

So here is the first post in this thread

Round 1 of Qualies:
(WC)Tane Rakete (AUS) d. Amit Singh (IND) 6-0 6-1
(3)Vishal Uppal (IND) d. Andrew Roberts (AUS) 4-6 6-4 6-0
Guimaher Singh (IND) d. Chris Lamb (AUS) 7-6(6) 6-3
Robert Phillips (AUS) d. (16)Ashutosh Singh (IND) 6-2 6-4
(8)Jurek Stasiak (POL) d. Rahul Sankhla (IND) 6-0 6-1

Round 2 of Qualies:
(3)Vishal Uppal (IND) d. Jonathan Dean (AUS) 6-3 6-1
Sebastian Swierk (AUS) d. Guimaher Singh (IND) 7-6(3) 6-2

Round 3 of Qualies:
Sebastian Swierk (AUS) d. (3)Vishal Uppal (IND) 6-4 6-0

So basically the Indian challenge was wiped out in the qualies itself. I guess the current "second string" of players needs quite a bit of work but there is some hope. Anyway, stuff like this to help Jay out from time to time would be nice I think. Also we can comment on how we think there progress is coming along. Maybe a separate ones for mens,womens and juniors. I don't know just random thoughts right now. :)
  • [/list:u]
Last edited by Dhruv on Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Misc. Results for Indians abroad...

Post by jayakris »

Thanks Dhruv. I didn't expect any of them to really make the main draw, except for Vishal Uppal who has never been as good in singles as he is in doubles, despite being known as a fighter with good temperament. I was curious about Ashutosh Singh also. He is very inexperienced as yet, so it would be too much to expect him to go too far in the big qualies in Australia.

Jay
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Well the Hindu has Vishal winning in the doubles but tennis australia nd steveG have him losing so I believe he lost

Alun Jones/Damien Ward (AUS) d. (3)Lauri Kiiski/Vishal Uppal (FIN/IND) 7-5 6-2
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I have been waiting to confirm Vishal's double scores too. Tennisaustralia messed up and have another copy of the singles draw posted at their site where the doubles draw should be - so I haven't seen the official doubles scores except at SteveG's. As he is normally right, I guess he lost.

Jay
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Australia #1-Leg 2 qualifying
R1
Andre Bognar (AUS) d. Amit Singh (IND) 3-6 6-3 6-2
Ashutosh Singh (IND) d. Tony Nikolov (AUS) 6-2 6-1
(3)Vishal Uppal (IND) d. Matthew Lucas (AUS) 6-2 6-2
(WC)Aaron Kosub (AUS) d. Guimaher Singh (IND) 6-2 7-6(4)

R2
(2)Yu Wang, Jr. (CHN) d. Ashutosh Singh (IND) 6-3 6-2
(3)Vishal Uppal (IND) d. Thomas Green (AUS) 6-4 6-2

R3
(3)Vishal Uppal (IND) d. Philip Horyna (SUI) 6-4 4-6 6-2

R4
Mischa Zverev (GER) d. (3)Vishal Uppal (IND) 6-4 7-6(3)

Doubles Main Draw
(3)Lauri Kiiski/Vishal Uppal (FIN/IND) vs (WC)Grant Silcock/Robert Smeets (AUS)
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

(WC)Grant Silcock/Robert Smeets (AUS) d. (3)Lauri Kiiski/Vishal Uppal (FIN/IND) 6-1 6-4
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

In the recently concluded Agnel Gladwin and Arnav Jain both (MAH) have been performing quite well in the U-14 ITF South Asian tennis series.
They won a singles title each, beating each one another in the finals, Arnav and Agnel finished No.1 and No. 2 in the circuit with 500 points each. Kaushik Das (ASM) finished No. 3 with 300 points. 24 players showed up and the series was open to South Asian countries apart from the ITF team comprising players from Central and East Asian countries.
On the girls side Ashmitha (TN) took the fourth spot with 280 points. G.K. Shwetha (KAR) was seventh with 150 points while Gayathri Krishnan (TN) was eighth among 20 players with 130 points.

All these players are ranked in the top 10 juniors (U-14) in India. Now I don?t know how strong the competition was but it a reasonably strong performance anyway.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Australia Sat 3 Qualies

R#1
Mark Hiscoke (AUS) d. Amit Singh (IND) 6-1 6-0
Gurmehar Singh (IND) d. Ashutosh Singh (IND) 6-4 6-3
(13)Vishal Uppal (IND) Bye

What's the chance of that a draw of 64 and two of the 4 Indians play each other in the first round. pfffffff.

R#2
(13)Vishal Uppal (IND) d. Tim Grobby (AUS) 6-2 6-2
(8)Shannon Nettle (AUS) d. Gurmehar Singh (IND) 6-0 6-0 :roll: ouch ouch ouch

R#3
(13)Vishal Uppal (IND) d. Gareth Keating (AUS) 3-6 6-0 6-4

QLFR Round
Matt Daly (USA) d. (13)Vishal Uppal (IND) 7-6(7) 3-6 7-5 so close yet so far... again.

Doubles QLFR R1
(2)Philipp Mullner/Herbert Wiltschnig (AUT) d. Lauri Kiiski/Vishal Uppal (FIN/IND) 6-4 0-6 (10-7)

Oh well Not a great Aussie trip for the Indians so far. Not much to show for it :( Well the last week of the tour of next week so hopefully one of them makes it to the main draw :frown:
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Thanks Dhruv. I guess they all come back now. The fourth week is the masters week and entry is solely based on points till now. You would never have enough points to make it into the smaller masters field without at least one main draw win. So I guess it is a trip back for Vishal and company. I am glad to see Vishal making an attempt, though I wish he were doing this some thre or four years back... Oh well, can never blame those who try.

Jay
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Results so far from NZL
R1
Rishi Sridhar (IND,848) Bye
Jaco Mathew (IND,961) Bye

R2
Rishi Sridhar (IND,848) d. Scott Eaton(AUS,1331) 76(8) 64
Darren Emery (GBR) d. Jaco Mathew(IND,961) 1663 76(2)

R3
Rishi Sridhar (IND,848) vs Matt Daly (USA,1185)
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Mark Hlawaty (AUS) d. Sunil Kumar Sipaeya (IND) 7-5 6-1

So that ends the Indian challenge at the NZ open in the first round itself !!!! :(
Sameer

Post by Sameer »

I think we will just have to accept that we have a much better future in the Women's category than in the Men's! :(

Sameer
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

It gets really cold in New Zealand by late February, so it is usually a disastrous place for Indian playing any sport. I remember the 1976 Wellington test where we were walloped at cricket around the same time -- a month after an equally facile win in that year's Auckland test.

Ramesh Krishnan won at least two ATP tour events in New Zealand -- the New Zealand Open one year (I think it was 1987) and the Auckland Open (in 1988 if I remember right) -- but those were all in early January (right in the middle of summer) when it's much more bearable for Indians. It is little wonder that Onny Parun, Chris Lewis, etc. gave us so many problems in the Davis Cup during the 1970s.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

This pairing has looked steadily better with each tournament -- and continues to make steady, consistent improvements. To have beaten Woodbridge/Bjorkman is of course the ultimate announcement that they have arrived as serious contenders for the top spot in Men's Doubles. A nice 6-2, 2-6, 6-4 victory that possibly sets the stage for a final with MB/Mirnyi, who are up 4-6, 6-0, 3-2 against Black/Ullyett in the other semi-final.

Also a spectacular day for Indian cricket, with a comprehensive 6-wicket victory over Pakistan in the World Cup, which takes India into the Super Sixes (and, with Kenya making that stage too, virtually assures India of a berth in the semi-final...Tendulkar's batting today was sublime, and so was the bowling of Zaheer Khan, the entire fielding effort, Ganguly's captaincy in the field, and the solidity of the middle-order batting of Yuvraj, Dravid and Kaif).
With Atwal, LP and MB (separately in doubles), and now cricket -- the past month has been a pretty good one for Indian sport! Now for football to come to the party...!