[Tennis] Misc. Results for Indians abroad...

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: [Tennis] Misc. Results for Indians abroad...

Post by sameerph »

Dinesh wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:46 pm SDPD has reached the semifinals this week at the M15 Kish Island (I love the name of this island :D ) Futures in Iran.

R1 (5) SD Prajwal Dev (726) 6-1 6-2 Ivan Kazakov (RUS, NR)
R2 (5) SD Prajwal Dev (726) 6-1 6-2 Alexander Chepik (RUS, 1504)
QF (5) SD Prajwal Dev (726) 7-6 4-6 6-3 Filip Apltauer (CZE, NR)
SF (5) SD Prajwal Dev (726) versus (6) Hazem Naw (SYR,775)

Hazem reached the finals last week at the same venue. Hope SDPD wins. :goodluck:
SDPD lost in straight sets against Syrian player in SF.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Manas Dhamne has a junior exempt entry to the main draw at the Monastir M15 this week.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Riya Bhatia went and qualified into the W25 in Sopo, Colombia. Beat a 16 year old, Juliana Figueroa Teusa (COL,NR) 60 60 and had a really good upset win over the top seed in the qualies, Marine Partaud (FRA,425), 26 63 [10-5] .... She plays Martina Colmegna (ITA,360) next in the main draw R1.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

At the W25 in Sopo, Colombia (clay)

[R1] (Q) Riya Bhatia (IND,731) l. Martina Colmegna (ITA,360), 36 63 46

I saw the second and the third set. It is the same old Riya. Nothing ever changes. No coach fixes anything (but at her age of 25, she needs to take responsibility and can't blame coaching). She can play tennis at a high level, even dominating tennis, but can make unforced errors at any time, look unintelligent on court, and mess things up. She was all over Martina very often in this match and had better abilities than her opponent, but was not going to win the match. She was up 2-0 in the third but proceeded to get broken twice. I had no doubt that she would make mistakes and choke in that final game, trying some over-aggressive impatient shots. Just what she did. Serving at 5-4, she lost 4 points in a row. The match point was really pathetic. She hit a great return, was at the net, had pulled Martina to the right corner, had the whole court in front, and she hit a lollypop volley drop to right in front of Martina. Even my mother would hit thar for a passing shot winner. What kind of choking is that?

I give up. When will Riya start playing like she can? It has been a very long wait. She was ranked 338 at age 22 three years ago, but is now ranked near 800 and losing one match after another. She looks a little out of shape and she is not moving all that well either. When she hits a shot after any hurried movement, it will be an error 3/4th of the time. You can't win in tennis like that. She needs to do the right kind of practice and get her form back.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Sowjanya, Riya, Sharmada and Sravya will be at the W25 in Bujumbura, Burundi next week. The first three are in the main draw, and Sravya is 2 out (but should make it in directly).
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

:Offtopic: There are a few W15 tournaments in Singapore and I was hoping to see Vaidehi, SS Rao in the entry list. There are no AITA tournaments until mid-April and I don’t see SS Rao’s name there either (except there’s a 1L tournament in Jhajjar which she seems to play usually, for which the EL has been released yet). Are these players struggling to find sponsors/funds to travel outside of India, even if the tournaments are in the Asian continent? Can we do something to help?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I am with you Dinesh. really sad after seeing the Singapore entry list. I was looking forward to that and thought many (including even those like Sahaja who badly needs some wins) would go there... Especially Vaidehi and Sadeepti. I mean, there is a direct 4 or 5 hour flight from pretty much any Indian city to Singapore, and normally not too expensive either. But no...

There are very few events on the calendar, especially as China is still not conducting any ITF events. It is tough. Where are our players planning to play?
VReddy
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by VReddy »

jayakris wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:13 pm I am with you Dinesh. really sad after seeing the Singapore entry list. I was looking forward to that and thought many (including even those like Sahaja who badly needs some wins) would go there... Especially Vaidehi and Sadeepti. I mean, there is a direct 4 or 5 hour flight from pretty much any Indian city to Singapore, and normally not too expensive either. But no...
I think you missed BJK Cup, Jay. If not, don't you think it's fair that they prioritize their debut representation for India over this. BJK Cup is starting week after next Tuesday as you know and I am sure they might have been called to show up few days in advance.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Yes, I didn't think of the BJK cup the week after. That would make sense. They might have set up a few days of practice in Delhi. Vaidehi and Sahaja would need to be there if so.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

jayakris wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:24 pm Sowjanya, Riya, Sharmada and Sravya will be at the W25 in Bujumbura, Burundi next week. The first three are in the main draw, and Sravya is 2 out (but should make it in directly).
Riya withdrew. Sravya was not in the qualifying draw, so she must have made the main draw (not out yet). But three Indians made it through the qualifying rounds which had an etremely poor field. Ashmitha.E took a wildcard and was the 2nd seed in the qualies. She had a bye and then an easy match. 19 year old 10th seed Lalitya Kalluri (IND,NR/ITF-1053) beat a 27 year old 6th seed Nessa Pratt (AUS,NR/ITF-703), 61 75 in Q2... 23-year old Priyanka Rodricks (IND,NR/ITF-1469) beat 8th seed Akua Akoma EJ Hansen (GER,NR/ITF-891), 06 61 [10-8] in Q2.

So, Sowjanya, Sharmada, Sravya, Ashmitha, Lalitya, and Priyanka are in the main draw of the W25 in Bujumbura.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

jayakris wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:45 pm
So, Sowjanya, Sharmada, Sravya, Ashmitha, Lalitya, and Priyanka are in the main draw of the W25 in Bujumbura.
Wow, that is such a weak field for a W25. Ones who are not in BJK cup team and could have made it here are Zeel Desai and Sandiptee Singh Rao. They should have played either here or if not here Singapore. After being so good in 3 weeks in Indian series, Sandiptee has not played anywhere. Hope she is all ok.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

There weren't enough players in the qualifying rounds at Singapore W15 either, and only 2 or 3 qualifying matches were even needed there. Qualies 3rd seed Komal Nagare (IND, NR/ITF-1469) made it in without a match. 5th seed Snehal Mane (IND, NR/ITF-1602) beat a 14 year old Russian girl... 17 year old 7th seed Madhurima Sawant (IND,NR/ITF-1602) beat a 16 year old Malaysian girl to make the main draw too.

Smriti Bhasin, Soha Sadiq, Sharanya Shetty, Nidhitra Rajmohan, Komal, Snehal, and Madhurima are the 7 Indians in the main draw.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:59 pmWow, that is such a weak field for a W25. Ones who are not in BJK cup team and could have made it here are Zeel Desai and Sandiptee Singh Rao. They should have played either here or if not here Singapore. After being so good in 3 weeks in Indian series, Sandiptee has not played anywhere. Hope she is all ok.
It is just sad that we have 13 players in the W25 in Burundi and W15 in Singapore, and almost nobody (except Madhurima because she is only 17) is exciting us. Vaidehi, Sahaja, Zeel, Riya, Sandeepti, Sreevalli, Sanjana, Tanisha, Humera, Mihika, Mahak... They are all missing. Actually Sreevalli was there in the Burundi list but withdrew a few days ago.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

jayakris wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:10 pm Vaidehi, Sahaja, Zeel, Riya, Sandeepti, Sreevalli, Sanjana, Tanisha, Humera, Mihika, Mahak... They are all missing. Actually Sreevalli was there in the Burundi list but withdrew a few days ago.
Btw, Mahak Jain seems to be doing better this season in college tennis. Upto #65 in ITA rankings now. Not great but not bad either I guess. But, Mahak has not played any pro tennis at all during her breaks or anything. So really not sure if she in interested in getting back to pro tennis at all.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yes, she has finally made it into the top-75 rankings. It took a long time. But she actually lost a few days ago to Nandini Sharma though. Nandini also threatened to get into the college top-100 but never really made it in. Realistically though, if they don't get to the top-30 or so in college, they are probably not going to make it into the pro 500s. Even a top-10 college player would sometimes struggle to get to top-300. A college top-100 player would normally be at least a top-750 player though. Just my feeling...

I suspect that Mahak is not planning on a pro career. Otherwise she would have tried to play some ITFs along the way. Once we see them not trying to play ITF events at all, we should conclude that they might not get back to pro events - quite often because they get a sense of their ceiling or floor.