Tennis Hall of Fame

All posts regarding past greats should be made under this heading.

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Tennis Hall of Fame

Post by jayakris »

sbasu -- you DO know that Ramanathan was in the top five and is still well-respected by a lot of folks for what he could do on court, right? .. That may not be enough, but to say that he is NOT WORTHY is not correct. He still remains the highest ranked tennis player Asia has produced.

Jay
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Tennis Hall of Fame

Post by jayakris »

That reminds me, I was supposed to get moving on this matter by now .. :(

Jay
sbasu

Tennis Hall of Fame

Post by sbasu »

jayakris wrote:sbasu -- you DO know that Ramanathan was in the top five and is still well-respected by a lot of folks for what he could do on court, right? .. That may not be enough, but to say that he is NOT WORTHY is not correct. He still remains the highest ranked tennis player Asia has produced.

Jay
Yes, I am aware. I didn't mean "not worthy" in a negative sense - the Hall of Fame is simply for the best of the best.

Are there are a good percentage of players in the Hall who have never won a grand slam?
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Tennis Hall of Fame

Post by Dhruv »

Surprisingly, I hadn't paid much attention to this post until today. If I understand the rules orrectly if RK is to be inducted he would have to be in the Master category

Master Player Category Eligibility Criteria

Competitors in the sport who have been retired for at least 20 years prior to consideration.
A distinguished record of competitive achievement at the highest international level, with consideration given to integrity, sportsmanship and character.

To be inducted as a Master Player, an affirmative vote of 75% or higher is necessary. The International Masters Panel, which consists of Hall of Fame Enshrinees and other individuals who are highly knowledgeable of the sport and its history, selects the Master Player Enshrinees.

I would be difficult to build up a case for RK simply because the best selling point that we do have is that is will be the first from Asia and I don't think that will be enough(and nor should it be). We probably have a better shot with Vijay Amritraj than RK sr. just because he has been so active outside the tennis arena as well. He could be eligible for any of the 3 categories and due to his name recognition will quite possibly be a better shot to get in than RK sr. It is kind of difficult to justify someone by saying he will be the first from Asia. In that case someone can claim to have to have a case as first from Africa or first from a particular country etc etc.

If you look at the list, most of the players are easily recognisable, which is why I think Vijay Amritraj is probably easier to establish a case for as he is recognisable and he has done a lot for tennis popularity in general. For him we would be trying in the development category which I think has a lot more leeway than just performance as a player. I agree with sbasu that based on pure tennis performance on court it will be extremely difficult if not impossible to build any sort of case for any Asian player so far. You can't have two sets of rules, one for everybody else and one for Asians. Later it will be the Africans who want in the same route etc etc.

Just MHO.

/me waits to get flamed.
gvhvhg
Please enter the middle number: 1

Tennis Hall of Fame

Post by gvhvhg »

That is all true

but we feel rk has a good shot and although the hof might not they may still give him consideration as more and more sports these days look to expand more internationally

sbasu.....................read "a touch of tennis"............at my age i had not heard of rk sr until i read the book a few years ago............mabye it can convince you that RK IS worthy.
PKBasu

Tennis Hall of Fame

Post by PKBasu »

I've said my bit on this, and would tend to agree with much of what Dhruv is saying. Ramanathan had some magnificent achievements all over the world -- but not quite at the "highest international level" (he didn't win Wimbledon, the US Open or Roland Garros, although he had some stirring victories in the Davis Cup, including winning a doubles match in the Cup final). But on integrity, sportsmanship and character, there is absolutely no doubt that he qualifies. As a pioneer of tennis in Asia, with 58 titles around the world and two Davis Cup finals to his name, one can make a fairly good (if uphill) case for RK. Let's do it!
gvhvhg

Tennis Hall of Fame

Post by gvhvhg »

When i was on holiday in paris i visited Roland Garros. THe museum there is sensational, a must. The only multimedia tennis museum in the world. YOu can watch highlights from all matches in the ninties, and finals dating back to the 60s!!!!!!!!!!

IThe library is also amazing and i took down these old books from the 50's, and took some notes on indian players and RAMANATHAN. I will post hsi info here and the rest in golden oldies.

1954 Roland Garros

Krishnan-Jansco (HONG) lose in 1st rnd

1954 Wimbledon

R128 R.Krishnan def G. Garnett (USA)
6-3 6-3 6-2
R64 R. Krishnan defD. Scharenguivel (CEY)
6-2 6-3 6-2
R32 R.Krishnan l. MG Rose (AUS)
6-3 6-1 6-3

1958 Roland Garros

R.Krishnan def E.Aguirre (CHI)
6-0 9-7 8-6

R.Krishnan l. A.Maggi(ITA)
6-2 6-4 3-6 6-1

Krishnan- Kumar doubles QF
1958 Wimbledon

R128 Ramanathan Krishnan (IND) d. JM Cranston (USA)
6-3 6-4 1-6 6-3
R64 R. Krishnan (IND) d. IJ Warwick (GB)
6-1 14-12 6-0
R32 R. Krishnan (IND) d. JC Molinari (FRA)
8-6 6-1 6-0
R16 R. Krishnan (IND) l. (8) B.Mckay (USA)
6-3 11-9 6-2

Doubles Krishnan-Kumar reach QF

AND NNOWTHE BIGGIE

1960 Wimbledon

R128 (7) Krishnan def.JE LIndquist (SWE)
6-4 6-3 2-6 3-6 6-1

R64 (7) Krishnan def.A.GImeno (ESP)
2-6 6-3 6-0 2-6 6-3

R32 (7) Krishnan def. W.Stuck (GER)
6-0 6-1 6-1

R16 (7) Krishnan def. IC Vermada (SA)
3-6 8-6 6-0 5-7 6-2

QF (7) Krishnan def. (4) L.Ayala(CHI)0
7-5 10-8 6-2

SF (7) Krishnan l. (1) N.Fraser (AUS)
6-3 6-2 6-2

1958 Yugoslavia final b. Haillet
8-6 6-2 3-6 6-2
doublesw/skonecki b. haillet and sirolla

:D
gvhvhg

Tennis Hall of Fame

Post by gvhvhg »

will we go any forther with this project?
IndiaFan1

Tennis Hall of Fame

Post by IndiaFan1 »

The only way this will move forward is that some one in US takes the ownership and directs the efforts of other fans/forumers towards that.

Granted that Ramanathan did not have GS championships to show, but then in the list of hall of famers are included several who have accomplished a lot less than the our senior Krishnan!

India Fan # 1
Rishav

Tennis Hall of Fame

Post by Rishav »

hi,
Ramanathan was ranked no.3 in world rankings and was one of the best players to nbot have won a gs. ive read his book anbd its quite interesting... if u are interested, check my thread on this page about a prfile page. u will know the details!
gvhvhg

Tennis Hall of Fame

Post by gvhvhg »

i hate to nag every now and then but i do WANT this project to go somwhere. I have put forth lots of information, but i feel i am too young to take ownership of this, as IndiaFan correctly said somebody has to.

Mabye Vijay has an outside chance, as he won the tennis hall of fame tourney 3 times, including the inaugaral event. But it is and outside shot

Ramanathan DOES have a shot........mabye we could get him involved, or atleast Ramesh.
Last edited by gvhvhg on Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Thanks gvhvhg

Post by BSharma »

The good thing about today's children is that they are persistent and passionate about a cause. And I admire gvhvhg for keeping this discussion going :D .

What is the best or appropriate way to get an Indian player into the Tennis Hall of Fame? Perhaps the Indian tennis forum members could be the spark that lights the fire and let an organization then do the main work.

My suggestions are the following:

- Get Jay (and other people Jay feels appropriate e.g., Sunil Y. in Delhi, sports reporters like Basra, etc) to contact Ramesh Krishnan to see if India could lobby for Ramanathan's inclusion into the Hall.

- Get AITA and other Indian tennis authorities to sponsor Ramanthan's bid. It will take money, time, effort, etc to launch a campaign. The marketing people can make brochures, CD presentations, etc to highlight Ramanathan's contribution to tennis and then flood the voting members with the information.

- Get people who know the voting members to contact them with information about Ramanathan. A few words from Vijay, Leander, Mahesh, etc to the voting members will go a long way.

- After learning from this campaign we can make similar efforts for other Indian tennis players in the future.

Today is Diwali and what can be a more auspicious day to launch this campaign. Can the members of this tennis forum be that spark on a sparkling Diwali Day?

Happy Diwali.
gvhvhg

Tennis Hall of Fame

Post by gvhvhg »

And I admire gvhvhg for keeping this discussion going
thanx. :D :bounce:

yeah, all ican say is why not?

HAPPY DIWALI
PKBasu

Tennis Hall of Fame

Post by PKBasu »

Let's do it. Happy Diwali everyone!
gbelday

Tennis Hall of Fame

Post by gbelday »

Thanks gvhvhg...I am posting this again here ...

The Tennis Hall of Fame Is Getting 4 New Members

Jim Courier, Yannick Noah and Jana Novotna are three retired players who made their reputations over the last two decades, and their election into the International Tennis Hall of Fame is expected to be announced today.

A fourth new member, elected by a separate voting panel as a contributor, will be Earl Buchholz Jr., once an outstanding player and later an administrator in professional and amateur tennis.

Full article at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/11/sport ... oref=login