Sumant C (Tiny) Misra

All posts regarding past greats should be made under this heading.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Sumant C (Tiny) Misra

Post by PKBasu »

I am a little surprised that I hadn't created a thread for Sumant Misra, who was one of our greats from the 1940s, but I did mention him in the original Golden Oldies thread, in particular his Wimbledon performances:

Sumant Misra made the third round of men's singles at Wimbledon in 1947 and 1948, and also made the QF of men's doubles (with Subba Sawhney) in the year of our Independence (ie, just a month and a bit before the big day). A few weeks after Independence, he made R3 of the US national championships as well, and he and Jimmay Mehta made the doubles QF -- taking a set off the top-seeds and eventual champions, Kramer/Schoder (the only pair to do so). He only played three years at Wimbledon, but this is his file:

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/d ... index.html

He had an Indian partner (HE Cargin, who seemed to specialize in MxD in the two years she played at Wimbledon) when he made R4 (PQF) of the MxD in 1950.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Sumant C (Tiny) Misra

Post by PKBasu »

In 1947, Sumant Misra also made the singles SF at Queen's Club and at the British Hard Court championship, and won the singles title at the West of England championship. He made R2 at Roland Garros, R3 at Wimbledon, and R3 at the US championship that year.
In 1948, he won the London Hard Court singles title (beating fellow Indian Narendra Nath in the final), but was runner-up in the West of England championship and in the Irish championship (losing both finals in four sets to Eric William Sturgess, that year's US Open singles runner-up).
In 1950, Sumant Misra reached the final of the Asian championship, losing there to compatriot Dilip Bose.
In 1950, he reached the QF of the Swiss International championship, and was singles runner-up in Gstaad.

Sumant Misra was a dashing player with a booming serve that made him a big favourite among young women (as my mother, a teenager during his heyday, still recalls with a smile).