They flitted briefly upon the tennis world's stage...

All posts regarding past greats should be made under this heading.

Moderator: Moderators

Atithee

Re: They flitted briefly upon the tennis world's stage...

Post by Atithee »

PKBasu wrote:I think she exaggerates, but the gist of her comment is that junior results are driven by many physical and age-related issues and do not predict future pro success.
Wow, someone let the secret out.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

It's hardly a secret any longer! Laxmi herself reached the second round of the US Open at the age of 15. But, to quote from our extended online conversation, she says she "had too much success too soon, and frankly was too immature to handle it. There does come a point though, where it's a law of diminishing returns in terms of more effort and fulfillment. That's when you know you have to quit."

I don't quite agree with that, although the basic problem with her generation of women tennis players was that they were playing too much when they were too young: Tracy Austin, Andrea Jaeger, Kathy Rinaldi, to name a few. But Laxmi additionally was smart enough to be accepted at Stanford.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

VReddy

Post by VReddy »

On that topic of Laxmi Poruri, hoping to have an interview with her using the opportunity of Vatsal / Jaydeep's facebook page. Hopefully it will happen this Saturday. Incase I am able to do, will share first here before posting it on that page. Jotted down some questions here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cal ... 7pp7uy7lft

She most likely reads this page too, if so, it will be a preview! Any questions that you think can be added? :). Thank you for going through the doc.

Note: Trying to target Uzma Khan, Srinivas Vasudevan (thank you to Sam Ramamoorthy from this forum for calling out that he is based close to Zürich now).
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Wow, Vishnu. That's a pretty comprehensive list. Some questions that I would be interested to know her thoughts on...
1) how does it look for American tennis?
2) what should indian tennis be doing that they aren't currently doing?
3) how has coaching changed over the years? Anything specific that she has seen (in the coaching arena) that really impressed her?
4) what is her view on tennis academies?
5) what specific advice does she have for young tennis players?
punarayan

Post by punarayan »

Love to hear what she has to say, about her time on the tour and her formative tennis years. I watched her play at the USO, and she was not well - never knew the reason. A few years later, I had a long chat with her, as we watched an Indian player try to qualify. She was going to teach in New England, and take a shot at writing. I remember telling her that she might write the next Great American Novel! Her lonely travels through the women's tour as told in the New York Times, was heart-breaking. Hope all is well with her.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Laxmi has become a good Facebook friend since we first connected at the beginning of this year. She takes an interest in Indian tennis, and world tennis more generally (naturally), but I don't think she visits our site. I am looking forward to Vishnu's interview with her!
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Thank you for the ideas / questions, Gautam and Puneet ! Will hopefully be able to get to speak to her for 30 mins to go through those questions. She gave me time at 8 AM Texas time for Saturday - will keep you all posted :)
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

PKBasu wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:24 am Laxmi has become a good Facebook friend since we first connected at the beginning of this year. She takes an interest in Indian tennis, and world tennis more generally (naturally), but I don't think she visits our site. I am looking forward to Vishnu's interview with her!
Thank you for that detail, PKB. I will mention it to her as because atleast personally I see ITD as a social media window of our forum.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

VReddy wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:18 pmThank you for that detail, PKB. I will mention it to her as because atleast personally I see ITD as a social media window of our forum.
This forum is archaic in many ways - and needs a social media presence like that. We started before even Facebook started, and the forum has remained the same all these years. I sometimes wonder if there are any forums out there that is like this, which has never crashed a single browser and has kept on going like nothing changes in the world!
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

jayakris wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:45 am This forum is archaic in many ways - and needs a social media presence like that. We started before even Facebook started, and the forum has remained the same all these years. I sometimes wonder if there are any forums out there that is like this, which has never crashed a single browser and has kept on going like nothing changes in the world!
Jay the sucess of this forum is all due to your and Dhruv dedication and hard work and those of the loyal members who have been around for over a decade.

Many a alternatives were floated in the past but none succeeded , but this one I am sceptical of this alternative platform formed by our own guys who in the end are simply plagiarising and taking inputs and ideas from this forum and peddling as their own, which I feel does marginalise our forum , and the one of the promoters is totally quite now and rarely contributes , but comes frequently online to see what is happening , where as in the past not a day passed without any comment from him

This forum is our religious passion and even if I don’t have a FB account , I would gladly have one if SPORTS-INDIA has its own FB page.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

I know what you are saying, Rajiv, but since a lot of the opinions on this forum are well-informed and are only helpful for Indian sports (tennis, especially), it doesn't hurt anybody in the end if it gets out there for a lot more people to see. So we probably don't have to feel too bad about it, if similar things appear in social media. Right opinions are right opinions, whoever it comes from, and whoever has original ownership, after all...

But then again, I am a "lOkA samsatA sukhinO bhavantu" guy in these things :)

You're right that it would be good to have a Facebook counterpart to this forum, but somebody has to take up and do it - and it again becomes problematic when somebody has to decide on what posts here should go on the Facebook page etc, which is why we never really pushed for doing it. The beauty of this forum has always been that it has been equal-opportunity and equal-rights, with rarely any cases of any censorship or moderator influencing of opinions. Better to leave things as is, as we continue to enjoy the forum. Hey, we all read posts from even saniapower, with whom nobody except me ever agrees :)
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I enjoy this forum as it is. I do nonsensical things on FaceBook actively too. But, my FaceBook feed is filled with junk that I don't read fully. I do check out some friends and family's personal/family related posts/photos. I would at least request that this forum stay as is. If the FB account is over and above it, then I don't mind. If the FB account means that all of you go there and post and nobody posts here, I will be a bit dejected and may not follow it fully because FB is mired with so much junk. But, I believe that people should be allowed to do what they are most comfortable with. If most of you prefer FB, then who am I do try to prevent that by trying to stop having that option.

Again, these comments perhaps need to be moved to some other thread.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

I like this better than FB/Twitter. Much better
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Omkara wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:53 am I like this better than FB/Twitter. Much better
Ofcourse this is definitely better :D , and I am surely not against individual choices or preferences , everyone and anyone is free to do whatever one wishes.
I am only concerned that a clear line should be marked between the two and no attempt should be made to forcefully integrate the two outlets so that the boundary lines get blurred , and the guy involved should not resort to plagiarism or borrow the inputs from here to further his or her platform.