Ramanathan Krishnan Thread

All posts regarding past greats should be made under this heading.

Moderator: Moderators

S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Ramanathan Krishnan Thread

Post by S_K_S »

Happy 80th birthday to the legend
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

The ATP website has stopped showing Krishnan's highest ranking as 136. It has also credited him for the win at the 1968 Canadian Open. So as per their website there are 4 Indians who have won titles in the professional era.
I think the most authentic way of looking at Krishnan's highest ranking would be to look at Lance Tingay's annual rankings. As per that in 1961 he was No. 6 among amateurs and No. 17 among all (pros and amateurs).
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Krish was runner-up at the Canadian championships in 1957 as well. The guy he beat in the 1968 Canadian Open singles final, Torben Ulrich, made the US Open last-16 that year; Krish lost to Newcombe (the holder) in R2.

Here's the Canadian Open page from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Open_(tennis)
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Krish hardly ever played the US championships. He played in 1957 and 1959 (making R3 both times), and then only returned in 1968 (when it was the US Open). 1959 was the year Krish had won the US Hard Court championships, so was seeded 5th at the US championships (on grass).

I don't think he ever played the Australian championship/Open. Frankly these weren't really world-class tournaments in those days. The 1960 Australian championship had just one foreign player (from South Africa) in the entire draw! And the US championships draws also largely comprised American players -- but with a much greater smattering of non-Americans than the ridiculous draws in Australia.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I do not think we should consider anything before the '60s wrt the Australian as a Grand Slam. Maybe even nothing before the '70s. The '70s may have been fine but still people regularly cared not to go. Went on until the '90s I think. Or mid '80s. Sorry my memory is not my strongest suit and I am lazy not to be checking this out.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

It is worth recording here that Ramanathan Krishnan was ranked in the top-10 in the world for 4 consecutive years (1959 to 1962 both years included) by the best-recognized ranking systems used for 'amateurs' (i.e., those eligible to play the Slams) -- the annual ranking lists produced by Lance Tingay and Ned Potter. His highest rank on Tingay's list was #6 (1961) and he was also ranked #17 in Tingay's combined list for amateurs and pros that year. However, the other prominent such list (Ned Potter's, often considered more authoritative) had Krish ranked #3 in the world among amateurs in 1959, the year he won the US Hard Court championships and the Queen's Club tournament on grass (at that time the US championships was played on grass, not hard courts). That ranking also put him in the top-10 in 1965 (in 9th place):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_ten ... %931972%29