Highest rankings of all the former Indian players please????

All posts regarding past greats should be made under this heading.

Moderator: Moderators

Rishav
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Rishav »

hi guys,
Can U give me the highest rankings of all the former Indian players ? I know of a few like-
Ramanathan Krishnan-3
Ramesh Krishnan-23
Vijay Amritraj-16
Leander-73
I would like to know of- anand amritraj,premjit lall,jaideep mukherjee and sumant mishra and mohammad ghouse?

Edited by Dhruv: I changed the topic name so that more users might respond
sbasu

Krishnan

Post by sbasu »

USA Sports keeps on saying that Paradorn was the first Asian-born player to reach the top 10. Is there any particular reason they are excluding Krishnan, or are they just ignorant?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Technically they are right, because the proper world computer rankings has existed only over the last 25 years or so.

The Ramnathan Krishnan ranking above is something that was semi-official. There used to be some well-known top-10 listings in the 50s and 60s.

Yes, Paradorn is the first top-10 Asian in the ATP computer singles rankings.

Jay
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

this is what i was talking to that journalist about

the reason these ignornat and arrogant americans say this is that when they say asian, they mean oriental.......... :mad: :rofl: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

they dont raealize that india is in asia

:damn: :damn: :damn:

what would be a legitamite thing to say is first asian in top ten in the open era (which began in 68)

I think i rubbed off on him because in the article he wrote first asian in top 10. There is a paragraph on me in the article!!!!
Rishav

oh no...

Post by Rishav »

hi,
I don't believe that. I mean what if no comp rankings were there? So does that make ramanathan sir drop down his rank? :mad: :mad: :mad:
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I agree with the sentiments regarding Ramanathan Krishnan. His ranking in the top 5 for about three years should not be overlooked.
But it is still worth remembering that many of the best players of Ramanathan's time turned professional and were barred from the major tournaments (including Wimbledon, US Open, French Open, etc.). Among the professionals (Rosewall, Hoad, etc., plus Laver after 1962), there were at least 4-6 players who would have qualified to be among the top 10 players in the world at that time. So it is legitimately difficult to compare Ramanathan Krishnan's ranking in the 1960s with that of Paradorn today. (But by the same token, one could argue that someone like Sampras -- whose ranking was around 15-30 in the past 15 months -- was actually deserving of a much higher rank...). The argument is potentially endless!
Rishav

Post by Rishav »

ugh! That reporter is still making me angry :damn: :mad: :mad: :mad:
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

I have always been a strong advocate of the fact that you cannot compare era's. It just can't be done....but with that in mind, i still believe that Ramanathan is the best asian ever, until MR 56 proves otherwise. In fact im not sure whether to put Paradorn in front of Vijay.....not just yet atleast.
Rishav

Post by Rishav »

nod ghv- i completrely agree with u!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Also Sashi Menon (87). I would caution, though, that the ATP rankings for Jaideep Mukherjea and Premjit Lall only refer to their rankings in the 1970s, when they were at the fag end of their careers. Had ATP rankings existed in the late-1960s, Jaideep Mukherjea would probably have been ranked in the top-30 or 35, as he made the pre-quarterfinals at Wimbledon in consecutive years.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

And, of course, we should not forget Jasjit Singh. He had a career-high ranking of 89 (in June 1974), around the time when he was the hero in the Davis Cup semifinal against the Soviet Union. But his career was a lot shorter than Sashi Menon's.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Incidentally, Ramanathan Krishnan stopped playing serious international tennis by about 1969 (when he was 32). But the ATP (which started computer rankings around 1973) lists the senior RK's highest ranking as being 136, which he attained on the last day of 1978 -- when he was 41 years, 8 months and 20 days old. Although semi-retired, Krish could still beat most of India's top players (except Vijay) through the 1970s, and usually won a round or two in the Indian Open.