ITF Victorian Junior Championships 2003

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Somdev and Karan currently playing in Aussie land. I have been reaaranging the forums so now these results will be posted here.

Singles
R(1)
#15 Somdev Dev Varman(IND,76) d. Nathan Byrnes(AUS,???)  6-3; 6-2
#14 Karan Rastogi(IND,73) d. Alexander Petropoulos(AUS,122) 6-3; 4-6; 6-3

R(2)
Ross Hutchins(GBR,99) d. #15 Somdev Dev Varman(IND,76)  6-3; 2-6; 6-4
#14 Karan Rastogi(IND,73) d. Ervin Eleskovic (SWE,148) 3-6; 6-0; 6-4

R(3)
#4 Gael Monfils(FRA,24) d. #14 Karan Rastogi(IND,73)  7-6(4); 6-3

Consolation Round
#15 Somdev Dev Varman(IND,76) d. Daniel Osborne(AUS,???)  3-6; 6-3; 10-6

Doubles
R(1) #6 Somdev Varman(IND)/Karan Rastogi(IND) d. Todd Ley(AUS)/ Andrei Radulescu(CAN)  6-0; 6-2
R(2) #6 Somdev Varman(IND)/Karan Rastogi(IND) d. David Brewer(UK)/Richard Irwin(UK)  4-6; 6-1; 6-1
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Consolation Rounds SF:
(15) Somdev Dev Varman d. David Jeflea  6-2 3-0  Ret (inj)

Meanwhile for informations sake
the people who beat Somdev/Karan entered the finals after
(1) Juska/Zverev d. (7) Kerley/North  6-3 6-1
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Finals of the Consolation Rounds
(8) Andis Juska d. (15) Somdev Dev Varman  6-2 3-6 10-6

Oh well at least he took the higher ranked (#49, 17 year old Latvian the supertiebreak)

Still with these results though promising I do not see something like a future RK(Jr or Sr)/VA or LP on the boys side like a Sania may turn out to be. Karan,Tushar and Somdev are still young so they can still improve. The 13 year old Rupesh Roy looks like the best young prospect at this point.

Hopefully he is 13 and his parents/state are not fudging his age or something like that. :devil: I know a lot of cases in India in the juniors where players put their age down a year or two less than they actually are. No, I am not accussing them of anything, just saying I think and believe all things are on the up and up.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Karan may be the best among the lot but he seems to break out and start playing consistently well like he can. It's been up and down from him. Somdev is a bit of a late-bloomer, at least in terms of opportunities to play abroad etc. At least he will get to play some good events this year in his last year of eligibility. I am VERY happy with his work in the back draw at Victoria, the first time he has left the sibcontinent if I am not mistaken. I get the feeling that he is a pretty good fighter with good mental strengths and temperament.

As for Rupesh's age, I have heard rumblings, and that is the kind of stuff we may never know the final word on. I would say one thing though - even if we assume that he was born say two years earlier (makes him 15 till this february) than he is listed to be, his record so far would still put him right at the top (4th in 18's rankings and 1st in 16's)!! The guy seems to be super-talented, whetver the age. So, I will leave that alone and simply follow how he does. He only plays higher age group events, so there is no problem in my mind. Also, I have always been amazed at the Indians' ability to put down and doubt anybody good amongst us ("hey, he is an Indian - he cannot be that good", seems to be the psyche!), so what you and I may hear may be just that and there may be no substance to the age questions .. So, I say, GO RUPESH!!!!

Hey, a girl of almost exactly his age (Michaela Krajicek) just reached near the top-5 ranking in the world in the juniors! .. So, these things are not impossible.

More of my thoughts are about how he is improving. So far so good. I have not seen somebody from the east really break out and play modern tennis at the highest level lately - I hope Paes en Sport is taking care of properly coaching him.

Jay
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

TBE just posted recently that Isha Lakhani has also withdrawn from the Aussie circuit.
Why Why Why oh Why :( :-?
All these players need practice and if they won't go then maybe the AITA can spend their money on others who are willing and able to go.

To participate at the highest level of tennis worldwide you have to make some sacrifices.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Just bringing this post back up to the top, as there was a comment on Rupesh.

Jay