2004 Olympic Tennis Event Surface

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

shashi
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by shashi »

Any idea on what surface the Olympic tennis event next year is going to be played on?LP/MB have always played well on clay.Even after they split for the first time and joined forces temporarily,they managed to win the French open together without much practice.I guess clay should be the most favourable surface for our duo :D .
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

I think they will go for hard courts, most probably, at Athens. Some countries (definitely US) will complain if European clay is used, and hard courts is considered the most unbiased surface.

You are right, if this were on clay, I would have counted in a Gold for us straight. Our guys quite something on European clay.

Jay
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Jay, whether US likes it or not, the court surface will depend on the host country. Spain chose the clay courts in the 1992 Olympics and a Frenchman beat a Spaniard to win the gold in men's tennis and Jennifer Capriatti defeated Steffi to win the gold in women's tennis. Both Leander and Ramesh Krishnan lost in the first round of singles but teamed to get to the quaterfinals in doubles. Ramesh lost to Jim Courier while Peas lost to Jaime Yzaga of Peru.

Spain chose the clay court because its players do well on clay but Greece may base its decision on other factors. I hope Greece chooses clay. May be the Indian tennis forum should start a letter writing campaign to the Greek Olympics authority urging them to choose clay (just kidding). I certainly agree that LP-MB combination is lethal on the clay courts of Europe.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Your are right. They *could* choose clay. I had forgot that the Barcelona surface was clay. I was not saying that USA's opinion would count much (normally the world reaction is anyway to "stick it to" the US given a chance, unless US decides to pull their weight around - which they don't always do).

On the other hand, the host country (Greece) itself not seeing much of a chance for themselves for any medals in tennis, they may not go for clay. Depends on how much weight ETA has, I guess. Probably not much. I will try to find out what is planned for the surface at Athens 2004.

Jay
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

OK, looked for official info. It will be on HARD COURTS at Athens.

I had some hope that it might be clay, when I saw the picture of the courts at this page -
http://www.athens2004.com/page/?la=2&id=793

But then I found on this page that it will be hard courts.
http://www.athens2004.com/page/default.asp?la=2&id=5332

I suppose the pictures are just showing the construction. They should be putting in some synthetic surface in there.

Jay
shashi

Post by shashi »

Thanks Jay...So it is going to be on hard courts.
The only pair our guys found difficult to beat when they were on their prime was the Woodies.Remember in 1996 and 2000 they had lost to the woodies.
Since the Woodies are no longer a combo,I feel the greatest threat should come from the Canadian pair of Nestor/Laureau.I think LP/MB should set aside all differences and come together again the beginning of next year and win the Gold medal.
Go for it LP/MB!!!!!!