College Tennis Thread

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

College Tennis Thread

Post by jayakris »

The fall collegiate regionals were going on this past weekend. No great results by Indians that I have been able to find so far. The only interesting items are,

South Central region
Amanjot Singh had to concede a first round main draw match at 06 36 (illness?) but he has won 4 rounds and reached the final of the consolation draw, with a win over a top-75 player as well.

Midwest regional
9th seed Ravishankar Pathanjali (Western Michigan) lost in the QF to unseeded Pramod Dabir (Ill.) who had also upset the 4th seed along the way. [Three of the 4 semifinalists are from Univ Illinois, and that stinks! ;) --- ooh, does the midwest miss Harsh Mankad to give some opposition to those blasted Illini!]

Central Region
Rohan Gajjar lost in the final-16 to a guy who upset the top seed and reached the smifinal. Two of Rohan's team-mates at U.of.Arkansas (I believe a program doing well under a good coach) played the final there.

Stephen Amritraj, though he has a top-100 win this year, has still not made any serious noises..

Nothing much to talk about on the women's side ether -- nandita chandrasekhar (NCSU) and Nischella Reddy (Minnesota) could not do much...

The 16 links to the draws/results can be found for the 8 men's regionals and 8 women's regionals at
http://www.itatennis.com/2003_ita_fall_ ... mpions.htm

If any of you have the time to wade through all of those draws and find any interesting results I missed, please post them here...

Jay
gbelday
Please enter the middle number: 1

College Tennis Thread

Post by gbelday »

Whatever happened to Uzma Khan? I stopped following this site for a bit last year and suddenly there is no news on her!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

College Tennis Thread

Post by jayakris »

She finished her college career last year and has disappeared back to oblivion again. What wasted talent!

Jay
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

College Tennis Thread

Post by jayakris »

Somdev's great start in college tennis is being covered separately in the thread under his name (in the players area)

Here is some news on Rohan Gajjar, who did a great job in finishing runner up at the central region including an upset of the 10thr anked player! .. With that he qualified for the National Indoors tournament.

10/18/2004 ITA Central Regional Championships

#119 Rohan Gajjar (U.of.Arkansas)

F l. Marek Velicka (U.of.Oklahoma) 46 26
SF d. #10 Adrians Zguns (U.of.Arkansas) 26 63 61
QF d. Diego Camacho (U.of.Tulsa) 36 61 62
R16 d. Ondrej Fukala (U.of.Oklahoma) 62 61
R32 d. Tom de Larzac (St. Louis U.) 62 62
R64 d. Carlo Contente (Wichita St.U.) 62 62

Jay
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

College Tennis Thread

Post by jaydeep »

Very heartening scene to see Rohan Gajjar is showing improvement inhis game ... Thats very good result to qualify for National Indoors tournament.

Jaydeep.
prasen9

College Tennis Thread

Post by prasen9 »

I had enquired a few years ago about Uzma Khan here. I think that she was coming back after a few injuries. She just got lost thereafter. What rankles me is that she could at least have played a few futures and tried. Maybe it would have been better off if she did not come to play college tennis in the U.S. She was belting everyone in India during her heydays.

-PM
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

College Tennis Thread

Post by jayakris »

OK, I just went through almost all the draws (8 regions on the men's side and 8 on the women's side) for the ITA regionals in the US ... The only results of susbtance I could find are -

Central Region:

6th seed Gajjar upset the 2nd seed in the SF and finished runner-up.

Northeast Regional Championships

12th seed Akashay Vishal Rao (Columbia) lost to the 8th seed in the Quarterfinals.

MidEast Region:

Unseeded Stephen Amritraj upset the 9th seed in the R64 and lost to the4th seed in the QF
9th seed Somdev DevVarman lost in the final-16 to 17th seed Sergi Arumi (what happened I wonder? - a cheap score there)

Hardly any Indian played on the women's side. Nischella Reddy ( a decent player at Minnesota) had the misfortune of drawing the top seed in a field of 64 at the regionals which were conducted on her home field in Minnesota!

Jay
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

College Tennis Thread

Post by jayakris »

Rohan is clearly playing at a higher level this year .. That is really nice to see. Go RG!!

Jay
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

College Tennis Thread

Post by jaydeep »

Great showing by Rohan ... He is definetly improving ... Go Rohan.

Jaydeep.