Doha ATP 250/Dubai ATP500- February 18-March 5, 2023

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Doha ATP 250/Dubai ATP500- February 18-March 5, 2023

Post by jayakris »

I think YukiSaki can get into a few ATP events from now on. The transition to ATP tour level doubles is going very well right now.
Rajiv
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Rajiv »

^^^ Next week are the biggies at IW & Miami where the the entry field will be larger so they will not have any problems getting in to them , and with this form can surely notch up few wins in the early stages at those big tournaments which can only help their planned accent and fingers crossed a top 50 by the next quarter as after IW & Miami , comes the clay court season with the 500 / 1000 starting in Monte Carlo , Barcelona , Madrid etc.

Yuki /Saki & Chandrashekar/VSP these two pairings I really admire the manner in which they have planned their respective doubles career , there is a clear systematic method and approach in it which is very much visible ,unlike Ram who at #58 was looking over all of them , and first thing I told him when he reached a CH of 58 was to maintain and stabilise that position to move forward and form a stable partnership and choose from the possible 3 choices I suggested (one of which was Quereshi) and when you are # 58 players will come to you and willing join you as at that stage even the last person on the circuit who would have paired with Ram , which was Yuki had no problem in pairing with a player who had just won Two 250"s but instead of planning, went on to play with nearly 25 different random players in the past 14 months and now like his singles , his doubles too is not looking good , and as the "Prof" rightly said he (Ram) has created his own cesspool ..let him swim in it.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Rajiv wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:32 am ^^^ Next week are the biggies at IW & Miami where the the entry field will be larger so they will not have any problems getting in to them
Entry fields are larger but lot of singles players also play doubles at ATP 1000 tournaments. So, impossible for Yuki-Saki to get entry there unless they get a wild card. Cut-off as per the entry list at Indian Well is combined ranking of 69.

Hope they get a wild card at one of those masters tournaments, else they will have to play some challengers in March to earn points.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

jayakris wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:39 pm
Omkara wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:23 pm Ever since Karan lost out on his Lucky Loser spot, I feel relieved everytime, one our player/players gets one!!!
Karan? You mean Karan Rastogi at the LA ATP? Man, good memory if so...
Yes. That one. I remember it was you or PKB who kept hoping he hasn't left for the airport, whereas later we realised he was almost halfway to his new destination.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ You have good memory. It was me. He was staying with me. Tried my best to get him to stay one more day (actually till late afternoon on Tuesday or something) to make sure that there wouldn't be a couple of extra LL spots. He didn't want to change his ticket and left. Big mistake :(
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

These things keep happening. When lady luck smiles we don't know. Hope Yuki/Saki go deep and make use of this lucky break.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

[QF] (LL) Yuki Bhambri (IND) / Saketh Myneni (IND) l. (3) Lloyd Glasspool (GBR) / Harri Heliovaara (FIN), 26 26
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Glasspool and Heliovaara are ranked 11th and 12th in world rankings. Shows how far Yuki and Saki have to go still to match these pairs ranked inside or close to top 10.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Poor performance none the less. My take is that Yuki-Saketh have strengths and flaws different than most top doubles teams, so there will be matches like this that can happen somewhat predictably.

Most top doubles teams are strong at the net, strong servers, and average back court players (often 200-500 singles quality).

YukiSaki are strong at the net, but have a weak server in Yuki. Conversely, they have one of the best back court players for doubles in Yuki. So, they will lose more than their share of service games especially when Yuki serves but can compensate by doing better than most in their return games. If they can't break the others serve, they will lose most of those matches.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

^^^If you can’t break the serve, everyone will likely lose matches unless you are a serve monster who can win tie-breaks regularly. Even those don’t always win.
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

Pretty bad loss.... and I guess Yuki/Saki will have to take a break for the next 4 weeks during IW and Miami masters...., unless they're planning some challengers....