Davis Cup 2023 - India

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Davis Cup 2023 - India

Post by sameerph »

2-2 in third set. Sumit had bp chances in both service games of August in this set but could not convert.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

And this time Sumit breaks for 3-2 coming back from 0-30 down. August served a double fault at 30-40.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sumit holds at 30 for 4-2.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Tough hold for Sumit after a few duces to make it 5-3.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

August holds for 4-5 and now Sumit will have to serve it out for the match.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

And Sumit wins it. :bounce: :bounce:

Excellent comeback for 46 63 64 win and he makes it 1-1 and this match is still alive.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

Excellent win from Sumit. Curious to see who will feature in our doubles team. Bops/Yuki or Bops/Ramk or Ramk/Yuki?

Will the Danes field Holger Rune in doubles? The guy is no slouch when it comes to doubles play, either.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Wow, "captain Rajpal" (whom I never acknowledged as deserving of that title, and still don't) rolled the dice and came up trumps! Congrats to him. Now we have put some pressure on the home team, and let us see how they respond!

Great job, Sumit. Good to see an upset win after quite a while in Davis Cup. Hope this also gets Sumit back on track on the confidence matter.
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

Yes, very good last two sets played by Sumit..... :clap: The Dane was under too much pressure of his own doing after the initial high of being two breaks up in the first set...
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

I missed the first set, but managed to watch the final two sets of Sumit's match (having watched most of Yuki's match as well). DD Sports was showing Judo or Karate (local events), and there was no indication of when Sumit's match would begin :cry:

Sumit was still defensive and tentative until 2-2 in the second set, seemingly just putting his returns back into play without any zing (although he was serving well). I was wondering where the swivel forehand that worked against Yuki and Jay Clarke at Bangalore in 2017 had gone. Then he stepped it up, with some great returns, and superb rallying from the baseline to create two BPs in the sixth game, the second of which he converted (via an unforced error at the net by Holmgren -- off a soft Sumit service-return). Sumit then held comfortably at 15 for 5-2, Holmgren held at 30, and Sumit served out the set to win it 6-3.

In the final set, Holmgren was under pressure in all his service games, while Sumit did not face a single BP against his serve. That sums it up. In game 1, Holmgren served his way out of trouble. In the third game (Holmgren's second service game of the 3rd set), Sumit again created a BP, Holmgren served a relatively weak 2nd serve on BP, but Sumit over-hit and missed a big chance. Holmgren then managed to hold. In the fifth game, Sumit again had a BP, and this time he won it the easiest way -- via DF from Holmgren! That was the key break Sumit needed. He held his own serve at 15 to make it 4-2. Then pressured Holmgren's serve but couldn't break (with a couple of UFEs letting Holmgren fight back from 0-30), 4-3. Held at 30 for 5-3, had a few chances to finish it off in the next game but Holmgren managed to hold, and then served out a love game to take the final set with consummate ease.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Nice win by Sumit! So, the gamble of having him having first shot at Holmgren paid off.

Dinesh wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:17 pm Excellent win from Sumit. Curious to see who will feature in our doubles team. Bops/Yuki or Bops/Ramk or Ramk/Yuki?

Will the Danes field Holger Rune in doubles? The guy is no slouch when it comes to doubles play, either.
We have to play Bops in the doubles. Based on court side preference, he should be fine with either RamK or Yuki. Rune did play a fair bit of doubles in the pre-Australian open tournaments and was very effective, so he's very good in doubles as well.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The question for Denmark is: can Rune play both singles and doubles in pressure situations tomorrow?

For India, I would pick Bopanna/Ramkumar for doubles, Sumit to play Rune in the reverse singles, and Prajnesh (or Yuki) playing the final singles. His heroics in the decider against China in Tianjin (where Prajnesh beat Wu Yibing, the then-reigning junior US Open champion) gives me confidence about his abilities -- especially since Prajnesh is coming straight from his title triumph in the Kuwait M25.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

PKBasu wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:35 pm The question for Denmark is: can Rune play both singles and doubles in pressure situations tomorrow?

I doubt if Rune is going to view playing singles as a pressure situation given the vast gulf in quality versus whoever he plays. :D

The pressure match is going to be the doubles.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Rajiv wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:08 am and if there is a provision for the reserve player to be considered for the opening singles then it could be a toss up between Sumit & Ram.
Even before the tie started, knew that Sumit was going to figure in the plans and not at all surprised by his inclusion and how well it turned out to be.

Now Prajnesh will surely play the reverse singles in place of Yuki, but all of this depends on the all important doubles a must win match, to make Prajnesh's match relevant.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

Rajiv wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:52 am
Rajiv wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:08 am and if there is a provision for the reserve player to be considered for the opening singles then it could be a toss up between Sumit & Ram.
Even before the tie started, knew that Sumit was going to figure in the plans and not at all surprised by his inclusion and how well it turned out to be.

Now Prajnesh will surely play the reverse singles in place of Yuki, but all of this depends on the all important doubles a must win match, to make Prajnesh's match relevant.
I too like this scenario of Prajnesh playing reverse singles in Yukis place. I hope that moron Rajpal makes the right decision.

Sumit kept the pressure on in the third set with his consistency. If he is able to improve his depth on his shots, he can be competitive with Rune too! Zeeshan is a lazy loser of a player and coach and frankly I don’t know how and why he is there, but it is what it is. I wish I could be there to advise these guys as a coach - senior Mr Krishnan Sir has mentored me and my brother so much in this area. But it won’t happen. Doubles and Prajnesh is the best option for us moving forward. They need to leave Yuki out of it from now on. Watching him play against Rune was painful for me. Such a waste.

Prof