ITF Junior circuit 2023 India

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: ITF Junior circuit 2023 India

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:24 am Are you sure ? I noticed 140 points for runner up here. Net of 10 points ( which are his 6th best points) he will gain 130 points. So, he should go up to 303 points which is a ranking of around 190 and to India #5 behind Kriish Tyagi. Unless I missed something.
Yeah, I added wrong. Arithmetic is hard :)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

gbelday wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:32 pm Of the other Indian junior boys, Pranav and Hitesh are really good ball strikers. Madhurima Sawant in the girls.
Thanks for the update on Adi, Pranav and Hitesh. I was wondering if any of the current crop of junior girls in the 15+ age range was worth keeping any hopes on, except Shruti. Will keep an eye on Madhurima. She has not done a whole lot in the juniors...
gbelday
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by gbelday »

jayakris wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:17 pm
gbelday wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:32 pm Of the other Indian junior boys, Pranav and Hitesh are really good ball strikers. Madhurima Sawant in the girls.
Thanks for the update on Adi, Pranav and Hitesh. I was wondering if any of the current crop of junior girls in the 15+ age range was worth keeping any hopes on, except Shruti. Will keep an eye on Madhurima. She has not done a whole lot in the juniors...
Madhurima strikes the ball so well and is one of the few players that goes for her shots. Has a good IQ and an offensive mindset. She mentioned about moving to Spain for training but I don’t have many details. Most other Indian girls that I watched just push the ball and are happy to rally etc (including Suhita Murari). That 13 year old girl Revathi looks promising also. Watched her for a bit in a Chandigarh.

Maya Dutta is another really good ball striker but she’s American. She works with Taylor Dent in Dallas.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Lower level ITF J60 ( previously G4) was played in Indore this week.

In boys top seed Hitesh Chauhan won the title beating second seed Cahir Warik in the final in straight sets. Both of them look talented and these extra points will help them move ahead and play higher level tournaments.

In girls, 14 year old third seed Sohini Mohanty won the title beating 17 year old top seed in final. Good to win a title at 14. Will see how she does going forward.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

4 weeks of lowest level J30 tournaments happening in India starting this week with Gurugram followed by Dehradun, Bhilai and Madurai.

These are low level tournaments but one looks at very young players doing well here to get in indication of potential.

And in the first week at Gurugram, some really exciting results for young players.

In boys, real exciting talent in 13 year old Vihaan Reddy who has reached SF in his first ITF junior tournament. Vihaan has been been in US and it seems he reached final in Eddie Herr under 12 last year and is ranked world #3 in UTR rankings. I never followed him but thanks for Vishnu for alerting me that he has switched nationality to India and has reached SF this week in Gurugram.

Other 3 players in the boys SF are couple of 16 year olds and a 15 year old. Vihaan plays top seed Tejas Ahuja in SF.

In girls singles, there are 3 Indians and a Kazak girl in the SF. 13 year old 6th seed Maaya Rajeshwaran Revathi whom I think we discussed about earlier upset 3rd seeded Kazakh in the QF. Another 13 year Snigdha Kanta upset 2nd seed Durganshi Kumar in second round and has now reached the SF.

Snigdha plays 14 year old Nainika Narender Reddy Bendram in the SF while Maaya will play a 13 year old Kazakh girl a 14 year old Kazak girl who upset top seed in the second round.

So, looking forward to how these 13 year olds- Vihaan, Maaya and Snigha perform further this week and more tournaments in this series.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:41 pm In girls singles, there are 3 Indians and a Kazak girl in the SF. 13 year old 6th seed Maaya Rajeshwaran Revathi whom I think we discussed about earlier upset 3rd seeded Kazakh in the QF. Another 13 year Snigdha Kanta upset 2nd seed Durganshi Kumar in second round and has now reached the SF.
Yes, Maaya may be the real thing. She has been quite dominant at her age level. The Kazakh girl she upset was 2 or 3 years older than her. Maaya looks athletic too -- fairly lean and all; some of the kids who are heavy and win with power from heaviness impress me less.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

13 year Vihaan Reddy just thrashed the top seed 16 year old Tejas Ahuja 61 61 in the SF. Vihaan just appears to be a different level talent, I mean just thrashing opponents 3 years older like this.

I do not really know though if his India credentials will remain for long. I was wrong earlier when I said that he has switched nationalities. His ITF profile is new and may be it shows India because he may be still having India passport. But, his all other profiles show USA as his nationality. He stays in San Jose. California and has his own website already-

https://www.vihaan-tennis.com/

Vihaan plays 15 year old 13th seed Arjun Pandit in final.

In girls, Maaya lost to 14 year old Kazakh girl 46 in the SF while 14 year old Nainika Narender Reddy Bendram beat13 year Snigdha Kanta in the other SF.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yeah, Vihaan seems to be one who will most probably switch to USA at some point. Maybe he was born in India and the parents left for the US when he was small.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

sameerph wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:04 pm 13 year Vihaan Reddy just thrashed the top seed 16 year old Tejas Ahuja 61 61 in the SF. Vihaan just appears to be a different level talent, I mean just thrashing opponents 3 years older like this.
Yes he is a different league. If he for some reason represents India due to logistical reasons, Manas and him can potentially shake up Indian Tennis.

If he chooses USA, which he should ideally as thats where his home/future is, then Samir Banerjee, Nishesh Basavareddy and Vihaan Reddy are the best talents we have seen from Indian community (incl. NRIs like most of us) in a long time. Then we have Rohan Belday, Ronit Karki, Govind Nanda, and others in NRIs providing that solid second layer.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

jayakris wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:46 pm Yeah, Vihaan seems to be one who will most probably switch to USA at some point. Maybe he was born in India and the parents left for the US when he was small.
Krisha Mahendran is mostly the same bucket though whom we have been for some reason excited about. Irvine/LA region based who is still representing India for logistical reasons.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I thought Krisha came to the US much later and only went to school in the latter years? I am not very sure though. I may be mistaken, so I will check. Krisha is not anywhere near the top of US rankings though. She just falls into the top-3 category in India at her age, that is all. My guess is that Krisha will end up in US college tennis. If she does not become a US citizen in the next couple of years, she could be available for India later. Like Shikha Uberoi.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

jayakris wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:01 pm I thought Krisha came to the US much later and only went to school in the latter years? I am not very sure though. I may be mistaken, so I will check. Krisha is not anywhere near the top of US rankings though. She just falls into the top-3 category in India at her age, that is all. My guess is that Krisha will end up in US college tennis. If she does not become a US citizen in the next couple of years, she could be available for India later. Like Shikha Uberoi.
You mean to say that Krisha will be much more interested to remain with her India credentials as she is not so highly ranked in US with the prospect of playing Fed cup/Asian games etc. On the other hand, Vihaan will be not that much interested as he is already among top 3 in his age group in US.

Otherwise, Vihaan looks a much bigger talent as of now.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Well, I don't know what Krisha Mahendran thinks or will do, of course :) ... But if she has an Indian citizenship, and she is not in any USTA plans later on when she is 22 or 23, I can imagine the case where it may be in her interest to play for India if she gets to say the top-250 - which will be nothing in the US but could place her near the top in India. Better satisfaction from being appreciated for the tennis accomplishments, and maybe even better sponsorship possibilities in India. She can always become a US citizen later, after the playing days. Sort of like Shikha Uberoi at one time (she was born in India but grew up in the US). It all depends on how she and her parents think.

Guys like Vihan who are right at the top in the US might not even think of playing for India.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

jayakris wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:02 pm Guys like Vihan who are right at the top in the US might not even think of playing for India.
He will play for India I think, Jay.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^ Why do you think that? If he goes to the top like Nishesh Basavareddy, would he play for India? If you know more, that is good news though...

But look at this! We are reduced to pinning our national hopes on 13 and 14 year old kids who are not even living in India. That shows how far Indian tennis have fallen :(