US Open 2022

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Dinesh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

US Open 2022

Post by Dinesh »

Yuki and Sumit have used their PRs to enter the USO qualifying list. Ramkumar is #11 in the alternates list.

Doubles list is yet to be released, but it’s safe to assume that Ramkumar will join Rohan and Sania to represent us in the last grand slam of the year.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Re: US Open 2022

Post by sameerph »

Ramkumar is 3 spots outside qualifying draw now. Still, 3-4 days to go before draw is made. So, hopefully RamK will make it in. He will be really unlucky not to make it qualies with a ranking of 231. It would be one of the highest cut offs for grand slam qualies in recent times as usually the cut goes down to 245-250.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Ramkumar is at a career-high of 56 in doubles, so he should comfortably make it into the doubles main draw. I hope he finds a good partner. Bopanna is 19th, while Shapovalov is 57th in doubles. Sadly, Bops looks as if he will be partnering Middelkpoop, not Ramkumar.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Strangely doubles entry list is not yet out. So, not sure whom RamK is partnering.

He is now 2 out from singles qualifying draw. He has posted videos of practising with coach Sanjay Singh in Florida. So, this time he is adopting a different approach of taking a traing break mid season instead of playing tournament after tournament.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

Ramkumar is #1 on the alt list now and when Djokovic’s name is removed from the list, he should comfortably make it. :devil:
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

There was another withdrawal and RamK has now made it qualifying draw. So, we will have 3 Indian in qualies - RamK, Sumit and Yuki.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Tough draw for Sumit against 26 seed Vasek Pospisil & Yuki v 9th seed Radu Albot .
Ram against a WC Bruno Khuzara.

Don't expect any miracles from Yuki.. Sumit if he can raise his game and has been in good positive mood recently has the ability to spring a surprise ...
Ram against a WC, but these WC's could be tricky especially in a Slam and this USO has toughest cut off at 234 where Ram just managed to squeeze in.
And this 18 yr Brazil born American is the top world Junior having won the Australian junior singles and dbls .

Good Luck to the trio.
Last edited by Rajiv on Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

It’s Kuzuhara. RamK has no business losing to this guy. Here’s his recent activity. Not something to be apprehensive about given RamK’s ability. But, you never know…..

https://www.atptour.com/en/players/brun ... r-activity
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

@Atithee just edited my post at the one same time we were writing.
On paper a easy WC for Ram, but his opponent is a junior AO singles champion.
So no easy match.. still remember a similar 18 yr RK fresh from wining junior Slams troubling the big guys in the opening rounds of a GS and making the R2 of the French and USO
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

sameerph wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:09 am Strangely doubles entry list is not yet out. So, not sure whom RamK is partnering.
#56 Nikola Cacic of Serbia
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Rajiv wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:00 pm
sameerph wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:09 am Strangely doubles entry list is not yet out. So, not sure whom RamK is partnering.
#56 Nikola Cacic of Serbia
Ok, thanks Rajiv. Looks a good choice and hope they win couple of rounds at least.

All our singles qualifying matches are to be played tomorrow, Wednesday.

Btw, Sania pulled out of US open due to injury and posted this-
“Hi guys, A quick update. I just have some not so great news. I hurt my forearm/elbow while playing in Canada 2 weeks ago and obviously didn’t realise how bad it was until I got my scans yesterday and unfortunately I have infact torn a little bit of my tendon. I will be out for weeks and have pulled out of US Open. This isn’t ideal and it’s terrible timing and it will change some of my retirement plans but I will keep you all posted,” Sania said in a statement.
This was to be her last slam. So, looks like this injury may change her retirement plans.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Not happy about the injury, but glad that she might not retire just yet!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, the way Sania was playing this year almost getting back top 20 level and looking good for further rise, it did not feel right time to retire for her. Perhaps, she did not expect such a revival when she announced retirement. Now, this would be good reason for her to extent those retirement plans.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ I was sensing the same. maybe she was surprised that she could still make some good money from tennis. She has made $220K this year from doubles. That is not bad money in 8 months. I hope she continues for at least a year more.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

If she is continuing till end of next year might as well continue till Paris Olympics and have a last ditch attempt for a mixed doubles medal with Bops or maybe they will be too old for that ? :D