Grass court tournaments 2022 (Challengers & ATP)

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

prashanthm
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Grass court tournaments 2022 (Challengers & ATP)

Post by prashanthm »

Omkara wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:32 pm For losing you colour red. Green is for victory
Sorry, my bad! :-(
jayakris wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:14 pm ^^^ I fixed the color above. Jay
Thank you!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Divij too lost in QF.

At Nottingham Challenger 125 (Grass)

[QF] Divij Sharan (IND) / Artem Sitak (NZL) l. (3) Jonny O'Mara (GBR) / Ken Skupski (GBR) 46 36
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Yuki isn't playing singles or doubles anywhere this week. He wouldn't have got into the Queen's qualifiers even with his PR, but the latter might have enabled him to squeeze in as an alternate. He could have got into the Ilkley Challenger qualifiers, but chose not to enter. Doubles would be tough unless he could find a high-ranked partner. So he will go to Wimbledon qualifying with zero match-practice on grass. :damn:
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

So for a 2nd week in a row, Ram goes down in straight sets to a Frenchman who had just parachuted and was playing his first match on Grass and one who had played previous 9 tournaments on clay,compared to 7 by his (Ram) opponent last week, and despite these overwhelming favorable's, Ram for whom grasscourts are his strengths couldn't manage a win.

To rub salt on his wounds, Ram had a dominating 4 nil H2H coming into the match of out of which the last 2 victories were as recent as last year.
For past 6 months been constantly saying to myself, that this week is going to be different,  but these R1 losses keep on flowing like a uncontrollable oil slick. :damn:
vparam

Post by vparam »

I was told recently not to hit the panic button on RamK’s singles career. Please let me know when I should go forward with my thinking that his singles career is going nowhere and to focus on doubles at the ATP level. Can’t remember the last time he broke someone’s serve during a singles match!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, this year been awful for RamK in singles so far. Luckily his ranking has not been affected much so far but it will start falling fast soon .

For the record today's result-

At Ilkely Challenger 125, Great Britain

[R1] Ramkkumar Ramanathan (IND,166) l. Hugo Grenier (FRA,142) 67(3) 57
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

vparam wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:57 pm I was told recently not to hit the panic button on RamK’s singles career. Please let me know when I should go forward with my thinking that his singles career is going nowhere and to focus on doubles at the ATP level. Can’t remember the last time he broke someone’s serve during a singles match!
Well this is what RamK does. He plays around 35+ tournaments per year and typically has a good run in a handful of them but loses early in the majority of them. This year he has played 19 tournaments, so he has several more to go. Agree that if he does not have a few deep runs in the rest of the year, his ranking will go down substantially.

As far as doubles is concerned, his potential is much higher as he has good serves, can volley well, and mostly hit forehands (if he plays the deuce court). Not sure when the right time for the switch to "doubles first" to occur but it will occur for sure at some point.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

sameerph wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:09 pm At Ilkely Challenger 125, Great Britain

[R1] Ramkkumar Ramanathan (IND,166) l. Hugo Grenier (FRA,142) 67(3) 57
How is this a bad loss, Rajiv? Seems like a result one would expect between like ranked players.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Bad loss...in a same way it would have been for Grennier  if the Frenchman the clay courter would have got beaten by Ram  on clay , if Ram was playing his very first match on clay after say 9 tournaments on Grass, and also if the Frenchman had a 4 nil H2H psychological advantage.

And these rankings are not entirely the true reflection , it is largely aided by these hybrid covid points , when in 2 week window other players lost their's and Ram bumped up to 160 without any significant results, but now he is in a great danger as the covid points are done away with from last week and if this form continues in the next 4 to 5 weeks will plummet to 220 to 240 range and this is first wave of points, he needs to protect, after AUG for the next 3 months another wave of big points he will have to defend.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Regardless, I’d call it a bad loss if the score line was much worse. This was a competitive match. It’s merely a loss; albeit, unpalatable. My opinion.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

RamK is in doubles SF.

[R1] Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND) / John-Patrick Smith (AUS) d. (4) Andrea Vavassori (ITA) / Szymon Walkow (POL) 76(4) 62
[R1] Divij Sharan (IND) / Artem Sitak (NZL) l. Constant Lestienne (FRA) / Lukas Poulile (FRA) 46 36

[QF] Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND) / John-Patrick Smith (AUS) d. Jason Kubler (AUS) / Luke Saville (AUS) 64 64

Next,

[SF] Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND) / John-Patrick Smith (AUS) vs. (WC) Luke Johnson (GBR) / Aidan Mchugh (GBR)
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

RamK is thru to doubles final at Ilkely challenger.

[SF] Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND) / John-Patrick Smith (AUS) d. (WC) Luke Johnson (GBR) / Aidan Mchugh (GBR) 63 76(5)

Next,

[F] Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND) / John-Patrick Smith (AUS) vs. (WC) Julien Cash (GBR) / Henry Patten (GBR)

Incidentally, Julien Cash was Arjun Kadhe's partner at Oklahoma state university when they were ranked #1 team in NCAA rankings. Now, in these 3 challenger this wild card British pair of Cash and Patten have won a title in first week, final in second week and now again final in this week.
vparam

Post by vparam »

RamK will be around 66 in the world if they win today. I know his ranking from last month is what Wimbledon determines for direct entry, but still hope he can find a partner and play.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

RamK already got into Wimbledon main draw in doubles as mentioned in Wimbledon thread.

Here he lost in final.

[F] Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND) / John-Patrick Smith (AUS) l. (WC) Julien Cash (GBR) / Henry Patten (GBR) 57 46
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

At the ATP Newport on grass next week, Yuki Bhambri is currently 8th on the list of alternates for the main draw (i.e, low chance of making it in). He hasn't entered the qualifying draw, presumably choosing not to use his PR for qualifiers. Ramkumar is 4th alternate for the qualifying draw (so, a good chance that he will make it in).

Ramkumar/JP Smith are 7th on the doubles main draw entry list. Balaji/Jeevan are 5th alternates for the doubles main draw, followed by Yuki/Saketh (who have the same entry points using the PR).