Pune ATP 2022

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rajiv
Please enter the middle number: 1

Pune ATP 2022

Post by Rajiv »

This is the entry list for the Pune ATP 2022 , quite a strong entry list with 10 guys in this list figure in the top 100 of the ATP rankings , even the ALT list comprising of 20 players , and all of those 20 are ranked in the 150 to 186 range.
Yuki is in the MD using his PR.

Aslan Karatsev(Russia)
James Duckworth(Australia)
Lorenzo Musetti(Italy)
Gianluca Mager(Italy)
John Millman(Australia)
Stefano Travaglia(Italy)
Jiri Vesely(Czech Republic)
Daniel Altmaier(Germany)
Emil Ruusuvuori(Finland)
Ricardas Berankis(Lithuania)
Egor Gerasimov(Belarus)
Kamil Majchrzak(Poland)
Dennis Novak(Austria)
Radu Albot(Moldova)
Bernabe Zapata Miralles(Spain)
Yuki Bhambri(India)
Joao Sousa(Portugal)
Cem IIkel(Turkey)
Jozef Kovalik(Slovakia)
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Pune ATP 2022

Post by sameerph »

This is not a strong entry list for an ATP 250. There are 2 other ATP 250 tournaments this week in France and Argentina. Both have much stronger entry list. France has entry cut off of 67 while Argentina has 90 as compared to Pune which is at 150. Seeds at both those places will be inside top 50 while at Pune it goes down to 84 as of now.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Will it be held at all? There is a huge spike in cases in Pune.

If it is held good chance for our players to either get easy points or covid.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

sameerph wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:11 am This is not a strong entry list for an ATP 250. There are 2 other ATP 250 tournaments this week in France and Argentina. Both have much stronger entry list. France has entry cut off of 67 while Argentina has 90 as compared to Pune which is at 150. Seeds at both those places will be inside top 50 while at Pune it goes down to 84 as of now.
Yes Sameer you are right , about the quality of the field , strangely I assumed it was a Challenger while typing and that is why even found the ALT field impressive , and in the past we use to have couple of Top 10 which are now missing but the all important question , will the tournament even go ahead . Here in Hong Kong with just 2 cases (YES YOU READ IT RIGHT, TWO CASES) , Hongkong with directives from China on ZERO NUMBER policy has cracked down on all sporting activity for its entire population and no Tennis for us for 3 weeks and all other local sports too are shut down.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

It looks like Pune ATP will after all be held in a bio bubble as per the revised guidelines of state govt-

Pune ATP to be held in bubble after new curbs
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Rohan and Ramk are listed together in doubles at Pune ATP and they will be among top 4 seeds. Hope they have a good run here.

Qualifying draw entry list appears tough with those ranked between 144 and 175 listed there. Probably they may be here to continue for Bengaluru challengers after this week. In that case, entry lists for those challengers will be tough too.
Ullhas

Post by Ullhas »

Was it necessary for Yuki to use his PR? I think this event surely he can count for WC. Or am I missing some point here?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Ullhas wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:41 am Was it necessary for Yuki to use his PR? I think this event surely he can count for WC. Or am I missing some point here?
I too had same question when saw Yuki in the main draw entry list with PR. He could have saved it. He did make a comeback last year before taking a break again. So, I am not sure how long he can use his PR. Maybe period is short. So, he is using them up. Not sure. Will have to check the rules.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:21 pm It looks like Pune ATP will after all be held in a bio bubble as per the revised guidelines of state govt-
So, did they figure out what to do about the non-availability of fully vaccinated ball kids? Will we be seeing old guys trying to run around as "ball kids"? :) ... Would be fun to see. "Ball please?" and they answer "Sorry; I lost my glasses"... And medical timeouts for treating the ballgrandpas for cramps.
vparam

Post by vparam »

jayakris wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:27 pm
sameerph wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:21 pm It looks like Pune ATP will after all be held in a bio bubble as per the revised guidelines of state govt-
So, did they figure out what to do about the non-availability of fully vaccinated ball kids? Will we be seeing old guys trying to run around as "ball kids"? :) ... Would be fun to see. "Ball please?" and they answer "Sorry; I lost my glasses"... And medical timeouts for treating the ballgrandpas for cramps.
Jay, India has been vaccinating kids as young as 15 since the start of the year. Hopefully won’t be seeing too many thathas picking up balls! :p
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

But, as per the rules which they stated anyone entering the stadium will need to be double vaccinated. None of the younger ones will be doubly vaccinated. They will probably get someone between 18-21. So, they will need ballgrandpas. :D
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

Assuming Ramk will get one of the MD WCs, I hope the organizers give out the rest to someone who’s up and coming. Mukund and one of Manas/Aman Dahiya should receive the QWCs.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Dinesh wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:58 am Assuming Ramk will get one of the MD WCs, I hope the organizers give out the rest to someone who’s up and coming. Mukund and one of Manas/Aman Dahiya should receive the QWCs.
But there are no up and coming players as such who deserve a wild card. So, I guess 2 of the 3 wild cards will go to RamK and Prajnesh. Third one may go to MSLTA player. Highest ranked singles player for Maharashra is Arjun Kadhe. But, Arjun is now only a part time singles players. So, I think he will surely get a doubles wild card and in that case, they may give singles wild card to Siddhant Banthia. Just a guess.

Qualifying Wild cards may be Mukund and someone else- Guess will be too early to give one to Manas I think.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Ullhas wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:41 am Was it necessary for Yuki to use his PR? I think this event surely he can count for WC. Or am I missing some point here?
I thought exactly this as well when I saw the list. But perhaps Yuki wants to be sure of playing the main draw here, and will instead ask for main draw WCs at the Bengaluru Challengers. Here, he would be competing with RamK, Prajnesh and (had he been fit) Sumit for a main draw WC. I think there are 3 wildcards in the main draw, and one is often given to a foreign player with some type of reciprocity hope.

Having again shown his form by winning a Q round in Australia, surely Yuki deserves a wildcard. But perhaps he feels confident enough that he will be able to live up to the PR in Pune, and win a round or two to make that PR count.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Will they be following the latest fashion, and only start the qualifying rounds on Monday 31st, or will the qualifiers be played over the weekend?