Davis Cup 2022- India

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

prashanthm
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Davis Cup 2022- India

Post by prashanthm »

Squads have been updated on the Davis Cup website, and Sumit is now IN in place of Sasi....
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I think we are all set. RamK and Sumit in singles and YukiSaki in doubles, i suppose.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, that seems to be the team we will go with at the start. Rohit Rajpal mentioned that Yuki-Saketh are doing well at challenger level and hope they will do the job here for us which means they will play the doubles here. Still remains to be seen if Yuki comes up for one of the singles matches.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

The draw is out.

Ruud vs Praj (FRI)
Durosovis vs RamK (FRI)
Duro-Ruud vs YukiSaki (SAT)
Ruud vs RamK (SAT)
Duro vs Praj (SAT)

The draw order is pretty good for us, strategically. I still don't know why we are even wasting time with Gunner in the first match, seeing his current form - but I hope he surprises me. The strategy is probably to keep Sumit fresh for the final match if somehow we are at 2-2, which is not that improbable. Praj may need to fall sick or something by Saturday, which can be arranged, for "lower-ranked" Sumit to replace him for the 5th match :)
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, that seems to be the plan. Otherwise, Praj is in no sort of form to be picked as second singles player. But, anyone playing Rudd is going to lose. So, why tire someone in better form.

And why only Sumit? Even Yuki can step up and play fifth match if the tie comes down to that match. There is 1 match in between after his doubles match and he is best singles player still.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yes, Yuki may be able to play that final match. They can make a call based on how he feels.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

How rude that Ruud is turning up for this after playing so much at the USO. He should let the other guys play instead of being selfish and hogging the court all the time. I do not like people who keep playing at our public court even after their time is up and others are waiting. Awful guy this Ruud is. We need to make him "rod" (which I think in Hindi means cry, and perhaps in Samskrt too).
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Ruud and his father are the greatest Norwegian tennis players of all time, and they are very committed to playing for Norway. So there was never any chance he would miss this tie. Let's see what we can do to beat Norway despite him. RamK on the first day will be the crucial tie.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Good to see (as a tennis fan). Yep, Christian Ruud was a challenger-level tennis player of our times. Great to see his son make it much farther than the #39 he became after a runner-up at the Swedish Open (or something like that).

But, I think it is still rude to hog the court and not let others play. ;-)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

prasen9 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:23 pm Awful guy this Ruud is. We need to make him "rod" (which I think in Hindi means cry, and perhaps in Samskrt too).
Since you are now hooked on sanskrit, yes, it is from Sanskrit. "rodanam" is a word for crying in Sanskrit. Heck, Ruud's first name Casper comes from an old Mesopotamian word "Gizber" meaning "treasurer". That word probably comes from, or is related to, the Sanskit word "ganjavara" for treasurer. We are all a single world family, when you look at it that way. Nonetheless, may there be a way for us to somehow make the guy do some "krandanam" (another word for crying - probably the Indo-Germanic root for the word, "cry" too, for all I know)
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

We are united. Ruud has to rode because he is rude enough to turn out. We need to express our krodh and make Ruud rode. Our players will make sure of that. This is Davis Cup. Go folks!

p.s. Yes, crandan is the suddha Bangla, obviously from Sanskrt, from which today's knada (to cry) has come. Interesting that that is perhaps the root of cry too.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Is Yuki Saki our best doubles team? Would you partner Yuki with someone else without considering fatigue etc.?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yuki and RamK may be a better pair (actually they are surely the better pair), but they have had no practice together, so I wouldn't take a chance unless Ruud decides to play doubles and finish it off. If Ruud plays doubles, I would take a chance with RamK and hope that they would click. Yuki-RamK have better upside as a pair. If they are only 1-1, I won't be surprised if Ruud he plays doubles though. Then I might try Yuki-RamK, even though YukiSaki are also capable of beating Ruud-Duro.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

A good article about the tie with some frank comments from Yuki that the team hoped for Ruud to skip the tie. Haha
Davis Cup: Yuki Bhambri on facing Casper Ruud’s Norway – ‘This is the type of tie India has to win’ (Scroll.In)
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

SonyLiv used to telecast the DC away ties (e.g. Denmark) in India - is it going to be the same this year, does anyone know?