Pre-US Open ATP/WTA tournaments

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Pre-US Open ATP/WTA tournaments

Post by prasen9 »

Jay is now famous. And, we get some reflected glory! :-)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Oh boy... Niru! Yeah, those were the days... But somebody had to do it those days when there was a need, and internet had just become popular. Now there is live score updates and even videos from even "satellite" events (as the ITF 4-week events were called those days - and I remember the discussion we had when ITF first introduced the word "futures" for one-week events). The trouble I had those days to get challenger scores faxed to me and all that!... It was fun and I lost 2-3 hours every day!
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

jayakris wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:33 am Oh boy... Niru! Yeah, those were the days... But somebody had to do it those days when there was a need, and internet had just become popular. Now there is live score updates and even videos from even "satellite" events (as the ITF 4-week events were called those days - and I remember the discussion we had when ITF first introduced the word "futures" for one-week events). The trouble I had those days to get challenger scores faxed to me and all that!... It was fun and I lost 2-3 hours every day!
Yeah there were weeks when there were NO updates. We all wondered what happened. Then they got more and more infrequent as the internet grew.

I remember a pic of Leander sitting in front of a PC with your website on it. Maybe cutting a ribbon to inaugurate (?). Could you please repost?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I had asked Jay if he was tenured and he said he was. Only after getting tenured, the wise professor was up to this mischief :-)
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Sanjay wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:44 am Yeah there were weeks when there were NO updates. We all wondered what happened. Then they got more and more infrequent as the internet grew.

I remember a pic of Leander sitting in front of a PC with your website on it. Maybe cutting a ribbon to inaugurate (?). Could you please repost?
Yeah is there a way to revive TennisIndia.org. I had mentioned about this 3 years back on a misc thread about a social media version of TennisIndia but some of us didnt come across as serious enough. Irrespective would be really nice to have TennisIndia - some of the content at least revived. It was pure gold mine of info for indian tennis followers.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Maybe a good mod will kindly move these posts to Jay's thread here on the forum?
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

We did set up a Sports India twitter account on the mods group a while back. If anyone is interested in running it give me a shout and I will run it by the mods and get their approval before sharing the username and password.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

If no one interested, I will give it a try
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Go for it Sumanta.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Is there any further development on this..
Maybe Jay could help into this to make it happen.
@Jay could you please take this initiative forward as suggested by Samarth & Sumanta.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Waiting to see if any objections from any of the mods. If not will private message the handle and password.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

What does running a Twitter handle entail? I'm willing to do it, as I'm quite active now on Twitter on several topics.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

We are trying to get hold of the password for the account.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

We believe the password may be with Sandeep Reddy who did twitter updates for a period. Anybody in touch with him?
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

PKBasu wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:04 am What does running a Twitter handle entail? I'm willing to do it, as I'm quite active now on Twitter on several topics.
PKB: You can refer to our dedicated discussion between Rajiv, Jay, me on this exact topic 4 years ago: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=219135. Unfortunately we could not align and so had to fork a different approach.

If it makes sense though, do not focus on results sharing - that requires no brains, is not apt for the high pedigree of our forum members. Hopefully we can focus on a plethora of areas where TennisIndia.org can make a difference

- Better access to European Leagues tennis for Indian players: Simple piece to knit together all the clubs, roster, contact points of each club say starting with Germany, expanding to one country at a time in Europe
- Indian Tennis Archives: Dedicating effort to procure all the archival footage/Photos/Print on Indian Tennis across the globe
- Sponsorship: Collating list of all the State/Central Govt schemes dedicated to Sports funding and how to apply for them. Similarly detailing all the private trust schemes in India that focus on sports like Adani, Reliance Foundation and so on.

One can go and on. This is just tip of the iceberg - I am sure some of the distinguished forum members will have much more relevant ideas/projects.

It is just that Twitter score reporting is more of the lowest end of the value chain esp. considering the qualifications but your call.