Wimbledon 2021

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Wimbledon 2021

Post by jaydeep »

Really fun match to watch and yes, I am also rooting for Ram and Ankita. :)
Impressive win for Sania and Bethanie against the 6th seeds ... Hoping for a deep run for them in Big W.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

When was the last all-Indians doubles match at Wimbledon? Can't remember! Not for a very long time, right?
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Mr and Mrs Sharan, Divij & Samantha Murray Sharan, are also in the Mixed Doubles draw now. They play Behar/Voskoboeva in R1.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

jayakris wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:27 pm When was the last all-Indians doubles match at Wimbledon? Can't remember! Not for a very long time, right?
I think we'll have to go back to the 1950s to find one. The closest thing was R1 in 1965 -- Lall/Mukerjea vs Ramanathan Krishnan/Bob Howe. The latter won in 4 sets and reached the QF.
Last edited by PKBasu on Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

Lauren Davis shows no real aspiration to win a doubles match, I understand Ankita had no choice than to enter with someone comparable within the ranking system to be able to have a chance but I wish she would choose a better partner for future tournaments :damn:
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

jayakris wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:27 pm When was the last all-Indians doubles match at Wimbledon? Can't remember! Not for a very long time, right?
The last all-India doubles match at Wimbledon was exactly 100 years ago in 1921, when Lewis Dean and Sydney Jacob (both representing British India) beat Hassan Ali Fyzee & Athar Ali Fyzee (also subjects of British India) in R1. Jacob & Dean made the SF that year, losing 10-12 in the fifth set.
vparam

Post by vparam »

I'm curious but how did Ram and Ankita gain entry to Mixed Doubles? I see they were listed as alternates. Does that mean someone pulled out at the last minute before the draw and they are next in based on their rankings? Didn't realize Ram was still in London after not getting a LL entry in singles.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

He and Ankita were the 4th alternates (Venus Williams and Kyrgios being the first). Divij and Samantha were 6th alternates. They all got into the draw because of late withdrawals by various players. Ramkumar was watching Sania's doubles match today (as I reported previously). The MxD slot became available later in the day. I presume he stayed on because there was a chance of getting into the MxD draw.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Dinesh wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:44 pm :bounce: Ankita and Ramkumar makes it to the Xd doubles and now play Bopanna/Mirza. I’m excited for this match, even though only one of our pair will advance.
The winner will get to play the top seeds Mahut/Mladenovic (who have a R1 bye) in R2.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

RamK/Ankita took the place vacated in the draw by Fucsovics/Babos.
vparam

Post by vparam »

Well, that's great news for RamK and he will finally get a chance to play a maindraw Grand Slam match!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

PKBasu wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:01 pm
The last all-India doubles match at Wimbledon was exactly 100 years ago in 1921, when Lewis Dean and Sydney Jacob (both representing British India) beat Hassan Ali Fyzee & Athar Ali Fyzee (also subjects of British India) in R1. Jacob & Dean made the SF that year, losing 10-12 in the fifth set.
How the heck did you find this info, PKB? :) .... Jeez! :notworthy:

I fully expected the answer to my question was "never happened". Looks like it never happened with Indpendent India, and even 3 Indians being on court together happened only 56 years ago, as you found out. Wow.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Deane reached the 1923 Mixed doubles final and also represented India in the 1924 Olympics.
Like Norman Pritchard in athletics in 1900 Deane and Jacob competed under the Star of India flag.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

PKBasu wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:01 pm
Great to find this out, PKB. :notworthy:

That all Indian doubles mixed doubles match as also Divij's first round mixed doubles match is on schedule today ( Friday).
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I found another men's doubles match, second round 1947 (just before independence, so still under the Star of India flag of British India, which is still -- ludicrously -- the emblem of the BCCI) featuring Dilip Bose and Manmohan Lal losing to Ghouse Mohammed and Iftikhar Ahmed. That year, another Indian pair -- Sumant Misra and Jimmy Mehta -- made the QF.