$80K Orlando ATP Challenger, April 12-19, 2021

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Dinesh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

$80K Orlando ATP Challenger, April 12-19, 2021

Post by Dinesh »

Prajnesh is the 4th seed in the singles draw and faces Matt Ebden in the first round.

Yuki and Ebden are up against Kudla/Kwiatowski.
Balaji and Jeevan plays Alex Rybakov/Alex Ritschard.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: $80K Orlando ATP Challenger, April 12-19, 2021

Post by PKBasu »

It's ludicrous of Yuki to travel all the way to the US to play only doubles. It was worth using his PR to get into the singles draw there this week (although not next week on clay). He could have considered playing qualifiers next week. He has a good doubles partner for this week, but also faces a very strong pair in R1.

Prajnesh is 6th seed in singles, and has a tough R1 match-up against Ebden.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

PKBasu wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:41 pm It's ludicrous of Yuki to travel all the way to the US to play only doubles. It was worth using his PR to get into the singles draw there this week (although not next week on clay). He could have considered playing qualifiers next week. H
His current singles ranking is not good enough for even quaifying at challenger level. Cut-off for Orlando Challenger qualies is 315. So, unless he uses his PR or gets a wild card he cannot play challengers. I am surprised that he decided to go to US if he knew that he is not getting a wild card.

He has already used up 2 of his 12 PR spots. 10 left. He has to save 4 for grand slam qualies till AO 2022. So, 6 are left. He will probably use 1-2 on grass ATP touurnaments, couple during US hard court season means only 1-2 left. So, looks hard for him to use his PR for challengers.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Don't know about why he traveled. Maybe he wanted some training at what is essentially his home base abroad. And, maybe he has access to cheap housing, etc. I agree with his saving his PRs for top-tier tournaments, e.g., slams, ATP-1000s etc. because those are the ones that have the most chance to get him some funds and points at less amount of work. Maybe he just wanted some top-tier match-play and so he is playing doubles only. And, maybe he will earn enough to offset at least part of his airfare.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Really surprising that Yuki decided to skip the singles this week.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Hard to figure out Yuki's strategy. I think he has 12 PR entries each for singles and for doubles, so perhaps this way he gets to play and practice at the top level for longer, i.e., play is more than 12 tournaments if he plays doubles only in some. Of course, not sure about the economics as he also has to support himself for more weeks on the tour...
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

arjun2761 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:13 pmI think he has 12 PR entries each for singles and for doubles, so perhaps this way he gets to play and practice at the top level for longer, i.e., play is more than 12 tournaments if he plays doubles only in some.
That is an interesting thought. I have not heard of anybody doing it that way, just for top-level practice. But it does make some sense, if the economics of it works out.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The economics don't work out, unless he wins the doubles title both weeks. The doubles winner (pair) in Orlando will make US$3100 (shared equally between the partners), so that doesn't cover the airfare. He will need to win both titles (Orlando and Tallahassee) for the economics to work. The cheapest fare (Delhi to Orlando) is about US$1000 (surprisingly low; normally it would be double that), and there are other transportation costs. Presumably, hotel stay is free, but food costs must be paid by the player. OK, if he does take the cheapest flights, spends minimally on food and laundry, then he sort of breaks even by making the final of both Challengers, earning US$1800 for himself. (I assume he also needs to pay fares for the next leg of his trip -- either to Europe to play and practice before FO, or come back to Delhi to do so). Not a very clever way to do things, I'm afraid.
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

This decision doesn't affect his singles PR total of 12 events right? Does he have a separate PR for doubles?
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

PKBasu wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:52 am The economics don't work out, unless he wins the doubles title both weeks. The doubles winner (pair) in Orlando will make US$3100 (shared equally between the partners), so that doesn't cover the airfare. He will need to win both titles (Orlando and Tallahassee) for the economics to work. The cheapest fare (Delhi to Orlando) is about US$1000 (surprisingly low; normally it would be double that), and there are other transportation costs. Presumably, hotel stay is free, but food costs must be paid by the player. OK, if he does take the cheapest flights, spends minimally on food and laundry, then he sort of breaks even by making the final of both Challengers, earning US$1800 for himself. (I assume he also needs to pay fares for the next leg of his trip -- either to Europe to play and practice before FO, or come back to Delhi to do so). Not a very clever way to do things, I'm afraid.
That's a sobering insight. It's crazy to think that someone could be one of the best 1000 people on the planet at a sport and make less money during a week of competing than a part-time Uber driver might make in a week in the US. I guess that is not just true of tennis but some other sports, music, visual arts, performance arts like acting/dancing etc. Makes me glad that I had no talent for tennis (or anything else for that matter that involves an audience :oops: ) to even harbour the faintest of hopes to be a professional. I guess not having a natural gift is a gift in itself. Ironic.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

He must have some other reason to go there. Training. And, perhaps has somebody providing free housing maybe. Otherwise, the numbers are awful. Is he using his doubles PR here?

The only reason would be to have some match play, I presume at a reasonably high level.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:10 pm He must have some other reason to go there. Training. And, perhaps has somebody providing free housing maybe. Otherwise, the numbers are awful. Is he using his doubles PR here?

The only reason would be to have some match play, I presume at a reasonably high level.
The draw sheet shows he used his PR. Also, isn’t Sanaa Bhambri in the US? Perhaps he wanted to visit his sister and play some competitive tennis matches while he can in the US.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

She is in the RDU area as a marketing manager at Cisco. Sanaa's LinkedIn. So, not really free housing there but maybe a visit.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

His UTR profile shows his location as Bradenton, FL. So, he probably has some friendship connections in this area.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

RohitG wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:44 pm This decision doesn't affect his singles PR total of 12 events right? Does he have a separate PR for doubles?
PR is based on average ranking after first 3 months when a player got injured and was away on the tour. In case of Yuki, he stopped playing in October 2018 and his doubles ranking in 3 months after that was in 300'. So, his doubles PR would not have been good enough to gain entry into main draw. But, like in case of his regular ranking, Yuki his singles PR for entering the doubles draw. So, in this case Yuki clearly used his singles PR to enter doubles draw.

You second question is specifically answered in ATP rulebook-
The protected singles ranking CAN be used for entry into the doubles. It would not count against his allowed total for singles events but would count against his doubles allotment.
That means this use will not count towards his total of 12 singles PR spots but will deduct from 12 events in doubles where he can use his singles PR spots.

In short that means Yuki will use his singles PR for singles only for ATP tour qualies and use that PR for playing challenger doubles. He can use the same PR for 24 tournaments- 12 in singles and 12 doubles. Never seen anyone use that strategy, :D