US Open 2020

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: US Open 2020

Post by sameerph »

All over for Bops.

[QF] Rohan Bopanna (IND) / Dennis Shapavalov (CAN) l. Jean-Julien Rojer (NED) / Horica Tecau (ROM) 57 57
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

This mens singles QF field must be one of the youngest once at least in last 10 years - Carrano Busta at 29 and Thiem at 27 are the only ones above 25, Medevdev 24, Coric and Zverev 23, Rublev 22 and Shapavalov, De Minaur 21.

Hard to pick a favourite here but I would pick Thiem as of now.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Based on past Slam performances, the contenders are (in order) Thiem (3 Slam finals), Medvedev (1 Slam final, at last year's USO), Zverev (1 Slam SF, one ATP year-end Finals title). Carreno-Busta made the USO SF in 2017, and FO QF the same year, but I'd be surprised if he advanced further this year. None of the others has ever been in a Slam SF. Rublev has one Slam QF (USO 2017), while Coric, Shapo and DeMinaur are in their first Slam QFs.

I think it'll be Shapovalov vs Zverev in one SF, and Medvedev vs Thiem in the other one. The bottom half of the draw is much the tougher.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

And Shapo v Thiem for the finals, with Thiem for the tile
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

rajitghosh wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:39 am
Reminds me of the knife throwing scene in the famous Bengali movie Joy Baba Felunath. Only thing Monfils didn't faint.
Exactly. For those of you who have not seen the Satyajit Ray classic, here it is {url=
A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.
A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.
[/url]. Ray actually accentuates the scene by showing the guy throwing the knives as someone who perhaps cannot see very well (thick-glasses) and is also perhaps a bit off-balance (literally) seemingly unable to stand straight.
suresh

Post by suresh »

@prasen9 Thanks for the share!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

You are welcome, Suresh. Shapo knocked out now. Zverev, Thiem, and Medvedev going strong. In the women's, Osaka and Serena are winning their respective matches so far ...
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

PKBasu wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:36 am Based on past Slam performances, the contenders are (in order) Thiem (3 Slam finals), Medvedev (1 Slam final, at last year's USO), Zverev (1 Slam SF, one ATP year-end Finals title). Carreno-Busta made the USO SF in 2017, and FO QF the same year, but I'd be surprised if he advanced further this year. None of the others has ever been in a Slam SF. Rublev has one Slam QF (USO 2017), while Coric, Shapo and DeMinaur are in their first Slam QFs.

I think it'll be Shapovalov vs Zverev in one SF, and Medvedev vs Thiem in the other one. The bottom half of the draw is much the tougher.
Shapo couldn't hold his nerve against the impressively steady Carreno-Busta, especially in the tiebreakers (and in the final game of the match, in which Pablo hardly got a first serve in but Shapo failed to capitalise), and was knocked out. So Zverev vs Carreno-Busta, and Thiem vs Medvedev in the SF. The latter is really like the final. But I think Thiem is going to win the title, beating Sasha Zverev in the final.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

PKBasu wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:59 pm I think Thiem is going to win the title, beating Sasha Zverev in the final.
Nostradamus is still going strong. I think so too btw.

In the women's side Osaka v Vika. Osaka the slight favorite?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Thiem has dropped just 1 set against Cilic on the way to the final while Zverev has dropped 6. Also Thiem has previous GS final experience. So, Thiem is the clear favorite here.

In womens side, Azarenka won her last slam back in 2013 while Osaka has won 2 titles in last 2 years, she is also 9 years younger. I think Osaka is favorite.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Thiem should be the overwhelming favourite and has been since Djokovic got disqualified. Bit surprised that Sasha Zverev managed to get to the finals, but definitely the easier side of the draw.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Sasha successfully attacked Thiem's sliced backhand in the first two sets. Then he got tight at crucial points in the third and fourth set, Thiem began hitting more of his top-spin backhands, and we had the first instance (since Pancho Gonzales in 1949) of a player winning the US Open after being down by two sets. Congratulations to Dominic Thiem!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Shasha's mentally iffy. He had an issue with the slams. Now, that has gone to some extent but he choked. Maybe after a few chokes he will take it in stride and lift one. Or he will be swept by some new great. Let us see. The new generation has begun? Djokovic will certainly come back. Nadal may have a French Open here and there left. But the new gen should be in soon.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I must say the quality of the final and the semifinal (Thiem-Medvedev) were a couple of notches below any featuring the Big Three. I would still back Nadal as the likeliest winner of the French Open, although Thiem may be able to elevate his game after bagging this Slam.
Sasha was mentally fragile, but in the end it was 3 superb forehand passing shots from Thiem that secured the key break in the final set -- but Thiem was hurting from cramps, and couldn't hold his next service game. In the end he dug deep in the final tiebreak to secure the title. It was Thiem who was mentally fragile after breaking in the first game of the 5th set, and allowed Sasha to easily break back...
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Yep. A sloppy final.

So, we have all been quietly sloppy and posted on this thread and not the ATP thread. :-)