ATP tour suspended due to the Covid-19 pandemic

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Atithee

Re: ATP tour suspended due to the Covid-19 pandemic

Post by Atithee »

Let’s discuss the markets then. Lord knows most of us have seen our retirement accounts, that were at all
time high only a month ago, decimated. I’m glad I’m
Not retiring in a year or two.

For the options players, is it better to be long or short in near term? Or trade straight securities not derivatives?

Is oil destined to stay low for at least a year?

How much does interest rate cut matter? It’s already near zero. Are negative interest rates on the horizon? Is a recession looming?

Other thoughts?
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

I don't want to discuss markets, I need a break. I am normally a healthy person in my 30s but this kind of non-stop work will compromise my immune systems.

Why do you trade options? options are not an instrument for retirement accounts. The only option play was buying puts 6 weeks back. I convinced a lot of people to do so, didn't do it myself since I was *busy* with work.

Oil will stay low, yes. At least until we get a vaccine and American shale oil companies go bankrupt.

Rate cuts don't matter. We are at 0 as of today. This is not a monetary crisis, yet. This is a political crisis and needed decisive political action. We instead have a POTUS who wants markets to stay up.

US banks may fail. Shale oil has a lot of debt which will default. Indian and Chinese banks have used the American repo markets to refinance bad local corporate debt. Fed is trying it's best to keep these dominoes from falling which will lead to a global banking crisis of 2008 portions, in addition to the humanitarian crisis we are facing now.

Other thoughts? I live in downtown Chicago and I can constantly hear the ambulance today. Things are sinking fast.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

@sinhombre—Thanks for sharing your thoughts despite the need for some TLC. I hope you get the much needed respite. Be well and take care. Best wishes and good luck.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

And, to add to the work, now, we have to request the moderators to move these posts to an economic thread. Or dump it in the black hole: the coronavirus thread.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Gotta do something when working from home. Everyone needs a distraction. :devil:
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:04 am And, to add to the work, now, we have to request the moderators to move these posts to an economic thread. Or dump it in the black hole: the coronavirus thread.
The world is moving towards lawlessness and disorder. Why trouble the mods? Let it flow :mrgreen:
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

So, the rankings part is decided. The rankings will be frozen based on 9th Match rankings and adding thereto Challenger results from Nur-Sultan and Potchefstroom and ITF results for the week weeks of 2 March 2020 and 9 March 2020.
PKBasu

Re: ATP tour suspended until July; Wimbledon cancelled

Post by PKBasu »

This is getting depressing. Wimbledon and the entire grass season have been cancelled!
There is a player revolt against the French Open’s unilateral decision to postpone until late-September. Most likely the FO too will be obliged to cancel that announcement.
:damn:

(I’m half-hoping it’s an April Fool’s joke)
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I’m surprised at the level of angst being devoted to Olympics and sports events being canceled. We are facing a predicament and catastrophe of at least two or three generations and we are worried about the timing of what’s primarily an entertainment? Seriously?

P.S. This is not directed at anyone in specific or even this forum. I’m just astounded in general and thinking about it for a while. Interested in the thoughts of this forum members.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

The members on this forum as avid sports fans. So, we have this bias. The virus will take a lot of people and cause us economic setbacks for maybe 3-4 years? But, the swine flu killed 200k people. And HIV/AIDS took out 25-35 million people. Coronavirus is a swifter event (more people dying in a shorter period of time) than these two but if we get to a vaccine, and/or figure out how to arrange for ICU beds and ventilators, we may be able to keep the total loss contained than the swine flu? Or am I too optimistic? Corona is at 45k today.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

It’s not about corona per se. Sports is a 100% dispensable profession. Cancellation of major events is the last of MY worries. Of course, it need not be yours.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Maslow's hierarchy governs here. Once food, safety (health), and shelter are taken care off, then entertainment is valued (and perhaps over valued).

So, agree that this news will impact different people differently. If you are a migrant worker, it is irrelevant. Even in the developed nation, if you are living paycheck to paycheck and are out of a job, then you aren't going to focus on this.

For those that are in financially/economically sound position, they will likely still pay attention to entertainment news at least as a diversion from the more depressing real world news....
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I don't give a damn for sports right now, though there is nothing wrong if ATP wanted to grab a few good tennis players and have a few prize money events on per view or something (no spectators).

Fly the players into a secure place and do it under extreme care.

No hand shakes at the end of the game, that's all. The ball boys won't be taking towels to the players. Maybe a courtside robot can be called over by the players hand button. They will all wear masks. Or maybe ballboys can be given hazmat suits. Maybe the players can wear some crazy hazmat head gear thingy (so they can get near each other at the net). It will be some spectacle!

I mean, so many people are stuck at home, dying to see sports. No team sports can be allowed as none of them allows social distancing. The only individual sports worth watching that can be done with social distancing is probably tennis. ATP should do it, make a ton of pay-per-view money in the next 2 months and pay the players (who may not even be among the top 16 or 32 players who will be in these tournaments).
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, that would be a great idea to do this. Just saw a tweet from a English cricketer saying that a cricket series should be played without spectators to relive the tension of the people. Not sure if it is possible in cricket with 22 players involved. Tennis is perhaps a sport where the physical distance between 2 players is the furthest I think. So, that is more probable to do.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I have zero interest in any of these ideas. I doubt many would watch this. I don’t think anyone is this desperate. These are always tamasha type events and farcical. They may provide a comic relief at best. To each his own, I reckon.