American Challengers 2020

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

American Challengers 2020

Post by jaydeep »

Ram is playing in the Columbus Challenger ... In the doubles, he is partnering VSP and they r facing the 4th seed Huey and Lammons ... Bala and Jeevan r facing Istomin and Cozbinov.

At $54K+H Columbus Challenger 2020, Ohio, USA

[R1] (WC) N Vijay Sundar Prashanth (IND)/ Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND) vs (4) Treat Huey (PHI)/ Nathaniel Lammons (USA)
[R1] N. Sriram Balaji (IND)/ Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (IND) vs Alexander Cozbinov (MDA)/ Denis Istomin (UZB)
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Re: American Challengers 2020

Post by jaydeep »

In the singles, Ram is the 9th seed.

[R1] (9) Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND,179) bye
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Ram is facing Zhe Li in the second round ... Bala and Jeevan scored straight sets win over Istomin and Cozbinov.

[R1] (9) Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND,180) vs (Q) Zhe Li (CHN,208)

Doubles
[R1] N. Sriram Balaji (IND)/ Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (IND) bt Alexander Cozbinov (MDA)/ Denis Istomin (UZB) 63 64
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

RamK just saved three BPs with an ace and two strong service winners to hold to 5-4 against the old warrior, Zhe Li (CHN,208). Ten aces and one DF for RamK today, and no beaks in the first set. RamK had his first BP (a set point) at 30-40 but Zhe held. Pretty steady tennis from RK except the usual few crazy runs to the net (even behind the opponents' serve) ... But not terrible. 5-5 and 6-6... TB... Immediately down a mini and 0-3 ... Angled second serve ace #13 by RK.. 2-3... Gets the mini back on a mishit from ZL, 3-3 .. Ace#14 for 5-4 on serve. FH mis-hit by Li, 6-4 set pt. Now 6-5 and two serves from RK. Tremdnous return winner from ZL at SP#3.. Ace #14 and 7-6 set pt#4. Good serve from ZL, 7-7. RK shot on the net off ZL serve. ZL's first set point. RK nets a volley. Damn, lost a set after getting FOUR set points, though he wasn't really making mistakes at those points. Just how it goes for him these days. 6-7(7) 0-0

But really, you cannot lose a set after serving 14 aces and just 2 DFs. His game is still not steady enough at this level.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Lost the first set. Why does he have to go to net on each serve ( first or second) blindly. Due to lack of surprise element, just gives the opponent a target to pass. Also many times went in on opponent's second serve. Just does not want to play proper groundstrokes which he can certainly do if he wants. He had no business to lose that set after serving 15 aces. And would not have lost that set if the shot selection would have been smarter.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

No BPs at all for either guy in the second set, which I haven't watched much. 6-6 now. But with some 24 aces, RK shoul be winning this match but he isn't. Just have no confidence in his ground strokes, I suppose. That negativism in his mind needs to be fixed by a different coach. Anyway, a TB is starting.... Unnecessarily moves up behind a so-so serve, gets passed, and loses a mini ... 2-4, 3-4... Now 3-6 and multiple MPs. Return winner. Zhe Li made RK look like sliced cheese there. The same old same old :(

[R1] (9) Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND,180) l. (Q) Zhe Li (CHN,208), 67(7) 67(3)

RamK is having some of the same issues Leader had for most of his career. A total lack of belief in the ground strokes which we have seen to not be so terrible if the player applied himself to do it. I am not sure if he actually knows how poor his stats are when he moves up. Is any coach really taping his matches and showing him what he is doing wrong? I don't think so, because we see absolutely no change in his style. No improvements at all in shot selection, and it is only getting worse because he is diffident to go for some of his shots. And his forehand has deteriorated so badly. He should be taking a week off and hitting one running forehand after another. He just cannot hit a forehand even if he is walking to his right, let alone running a bit. What the heck? These are fixable stuff, because we have seen him do all that in the past. Come on RamK. Get off the tour for a couple of weeks, get a serving machine and get down to practice with a coach who cares!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

How can one lose a match in straight sets after serving 25 aces ? I know he was not hitting his forehand well and backhand is still week but still he should have won this match only if the shot selection was not bad as this. On service returns even on second serves, just does not try to hit a return aggressively. Cheeping and charging to the net is his only attack there.

I saw Sumit's loss too yesterday but was not as frustrated as today because I thought Sumit at least tried to do what best he is capable of. Good serving is something that he is not capable of and few more unforced errors than desired. But,RamK is capable right now of doing so much more and just refuses to do that despite loss after loss. :damn:
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I hear you. How can you lose both sets like this, after 25 aces and just 4 DFs? I am also frustrated as hell, seeing all the talent RamK has, going waste. Such a good guy who has gone through a lot, who I want to see do well, but we just can't seem to get our wish.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

sameerph wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:29 pm Lost the first set. Why does he have to go to net on each serve ( first or second) blindly. Due to lack of surprise element, just gives the opponent a target to pass. Also many times went in on opponent's second serve. Just does not want to play proper groundstrokes which he can certainly do if he wants. He had no business to lose that set after serving 15 aces. And would not have lost that set if the shot selection would have been smarter.
You said it buddy. Even Federer doesn’t serve/volley on second so what is this guy doing? I don’t think he listens to his coach either. I think Chandra is advising him
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

He does the same thing every time on return. Who stands 4 feet behind the baseline on second serve returns? Losers, that’s who.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

jayakris wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:36 pm I hear you. How can you lose both sets like this, after 25 aces and just 4 DFs? I am also frustrated as hell, seeing all the talent RamK has, going waste. Such a good guy who has gone through a lot, who I want to see do well, but we just can't seem to get our wish.
Funny thing, he’s not getting his wish either. His great serve is going to waste because he thinks he has to serve/volley on every one, wonder who has brainwashed him into that
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

A doubles loss also at the Columbus challenger

[R1] (WC) N Vijay Sundar Prashanth (IND)/ Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND) l. (4) Treat Huey (PHI)/ Nathaniel Lammons (USA), 57 46
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

I thought the fortunes would change in the new season. How many more such results before it is acknowledged by his team? In the first set against Li, he was slicing almost all backhands. Didnt watch the second set. He has the tools, maybe not able to run much for 2 hours but otherwise.. He definitely has the talent. In his match against Agut in Dubai last year, the commentators talked about his impressive shot making ability: able to serve and volley at times and rally from the baseline when receiving. He also had used the double handed backhand to better effect than usual in that match.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Bala and Jeevan failed to challenge Lammons and Huey in their one-sided loss ... Disappointing week.

[QF] N. Sriram Balaji (IND)/ Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (IND)l (4) Treat Huey (PHI)/ Nathaniel Lammons (USA) 36 26
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

Balaji and Jeevan are playing in Monterrey (ATP Challenger 100) this week and has reached the semifinal stage.

R1 [5] Sriram Balaji/Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan 4-6 6-3 10-6 Milledge Cossu/Adrian Mannarino (USA/FRA)
QF [5] Sriram Balaji/Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan 2-6 6-3 15-13 Federico Gaio/Paolo Lorenzi (ITA/ITA)