$162 K (+H) Bengaluru Challenger 2020

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Varma
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: $162 K (+H) Bengaluru Challenger 2020

Post by Varma »

PKBasu wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:52 pm ...(Can someone--Jay!--explain the use of the blue colour. I thought Green was for Indian winners. Is blue for a veteran on his last tour of duty?)
After all, Lee is the "Blue-eyed boy" of this forum! Certainly so on occasions like today where he is in the news for playing Tennis and not for playing anything else :p :devil:

- Varma
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Varma wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:57 pmAfter all, Lee is the "Blue-eyed boy" of this forum! Certainly so on occasions like today where he is in the news for playing Tennis and not for playing anything else :p :devil:
Especially when he isn't trying to be a movie actor. Man, he was atrocious at that!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I just started watching the doubles final. Decent atmosphere, but not the carvinal I expected. Of course, it is amazing for a Challenger doubles match. Matt Ebden just served THREE double faults in the final game of the first set, which Purav/Ramkumar have won 6-0!!

With Bollywood music blaring away, Ebden takes a toilet break; the super-fit 46 year old doesn't need such tawdry things as toilet breaks!

Leander struggling to return Ramkumar's serves. He lobs even on second serves, and it's normally a pretty easy put-away for Ram. 6-0, 1-0.
Leander's serve is broken at 15. 1 DF, two terrible points at the net from Ebden, one poor anticipation from both. 6-0, 2-0
Leander has no trouble returning Purav's serve. But Purav serves an ace down the line (to Ebden) at Deuce. 6-0, 3-0
Ebden holds at love; the first point ended with a superb drop volley from Leander, and that spurred them (and the crowd) on. 6-0, 3-1.
RamK holds at 15. The point he lost was to a fabulous service return from LP. But RamK is otherwise solid on serve. 6-0, 4-1.
Superb service game from LP, who holds at 15. One ace (first for the pair), and a sizzling cross court final serve. 6-0, 4-2
Terrific play by LP enable them to take it to deuce from 40-15 on Purav's serve, but LP plays a poor return on the final Purav 2nd serve. 6-0, 5-2.
Ebden holds at love; again superb at the net LP, but great movement by Matt too. 6-0, 5-3.
Ramkumar holds at love, and RamK/Purav are the champions of the Bengaluru Challenger, 60 63.

[F] Ramkumar Ramanathan/Purav Raja (IND/IND) d. Leander Paes/Matthew Ebden 60 63

So no real heroics from Leander (apart from a few midway through the second set) in his farewell match on Indian soil.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Purav rises to 82 in the doubles ranking and will be playing at Bergamo next. Ramkumar rises to a career high of 106 in doubles.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yeah, I just didn't think Lee and Ebden had what it took to beat Rama-Raja who I've kept saying are the most solid Indian team I have seen in a while. They are just very good and they complement each other perfectly.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

True, this is their third challenger title in 3 weeks since November which they played together and also made the Pune ATP SF in between. They are 14-1 in that period against pretty good level opposition.

I wish they play together regularly now. As of now though, Purav is going to Europe (Bergamo) and RamK to Mexico (Morelos) next week. Hopefully,post davis cup week they will work out a schedule together. In the next 2 weeks playing separately, if they can raise their ranking a few more notches, there may be a chance for them to play ATP main draw events too.