Davis Cup 2020- India

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

VReddy
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Davis Cup 2020- India

Post by VReddy »

So it is official indeed - both Sumit Nagal and Mukund Sasikumar have opted out. While they might face some initial criticism - for the sake of India (in my personal twisted patriotic view to minimise influence of an inept association), I am glad they are changing the status quo and setting the precedent.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

True Vishnu, but surprised by selection of Saki, who is not playing anything on the tour.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

jaydeep wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:29 pm True Vishnu, but surprised by selection of Saki, who is not playing anything on the tour.
As Mukund also opted out, it was between Saki and Rawat. Rawat is the higher ranked but Saki reached the finals in the Indian futures - so I guess a fair call whichever player they took.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

VReddy wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:27 pm So it is official indeed - both Sumit Nagal and Mukund Sasikumar have opted out. While they might face some initial criticism - for the sake of India (in my personal twisted patriotic view to minimise influence of an inept association), I am glad they are changing the status quo and setting the precedent.
I was wondering with the reason given by Sumit that he is opting out due to hip injury, how will Sumit manage to play challengers in the same week. Now, saw a report where he says doctor has advised him to not play on hard courts as of now. That means he can play on clay. That is clever way of saying no while still being able to play elsewhere. :D
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

sameerph wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:42 am
VReddy wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:27 pm So it is official indeed - both Sumit Nagal and Mukund Sasikumar have opted out. While they might face some initial criticism - for the sake of India (in my personal twisted patriotic view to minimise influence of an inept association), I am glad they are changing the status quo and setting the precedent.
I was wondering with the reason given by Sumit that he is opting out due to hip injury, how will Sumit manage to play challengers in the same week. Now, saw a report where he says doctor has advised him to not play on hard courts as of now. That means he can play on clay. That is clever way of saying no while still being able to play elsewhere. :D
This withdrawal was always on the cards when I saw the entry list 10 days ago, but as Vishnu said probably he is trying to make a point to the AITA which he has achieved by making this excuse , also this decision could be compounded by the fact on IHC's, Rohit will prefer Ram and Prajnesh and so rather than just warming the benches it would be much better to accumulate badly needed points during that week.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The Davis Cup is a pale shadow of its former self. We are probably the last people taking these qualifying rounds seriously, when the real action will occur in one week at the end of November — a complete travesty of the heritage and tradition of the Davis Cup.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Agree that it is becoming mostly irrelevant now in this individual sport. Looks like we absolutely have to win the doubles to have a chance against Finland as their top guy is likely to win both of his singles matches.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yes, unfortunately, Ruusuvuori is favourite to win both his singles matches. He has done much better in the past 12 months than all the Indian singles players. The doubles point, therefore, is absolutely vital.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Why is Raashbihari changing his name and playing for Finland? And, he thinks we cannot see through it?
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

It would be tough for our singles players to win against their #2 Otto. Hopefully one of them can, it would be a good win.

Otto was an Orange Bowl champion, defeating Zane Khan in the finals. He reached 25K finals in my neighborhood last week - has a top-200 win already. His career trajectory is similar to Zane Khan and Zane reached Q3 at the US Open.

He is very attacking on both sides and possesses a monstrous forehand. A short clip from his match against Brandon Nakashima at the US Open Juniors 3 yrs ago

A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.
A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Oh, I had thought the second match for our singles players will be easy looking at the rankings. It does not seem so.

Still, that guy has not much experience in davis cup where experience does play a role. So, hope our guys pull off wins against this guy ( their no.2) and win the doubles tie. That is our best chance.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Players are all there and practicing in Finland -

Davis Cup: India expects an even outing against Finland
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Prajnesh will take in Finn #2 Otto Virtanen in first match at 8.30 PM India time then RamK will take on top 100 player Russuvuori. First match is almost a must win for us as Russivori is likely to win both his matches ( although strange things have happened in davis cup) . We need to win the other 3 matches.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Prajnesh broken in the 4th game of the first set against Virtanen. Down, 2-4... Now 3-5 and Virtanen serving for the set. He takes it at 40-30...
3-6 0-0