Davis Cup 2019 - India

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Davis Cup 2019 - India

Post by Sin Hombre »

Lebanon and Sharm-el-Shaikh are fine for tourists. Syria is an altogether different kettle of fish.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Imbecile Tennis Federation.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

prasen9 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:58 pm I am useless too wrt conflict resolution or tennis-matters.
Yes yes, you like to stir the pot Prasen!! not resolve conflicts... :) :p
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

What’s going on? JIC and Kujo active in the same thread, each after after eons... good to see you guys commenting after a long break.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

It’s going to get bad . There may be a battle starting up soon.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

kujo wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:19 pm Yes yes, you like to stir the pot Prasen!! not resolve conflicts... :) :p
Yes, yes!!! Thank you.

p.s. In actuality, I only practice online stirring. In reality, the conflicts in Kashmir, etc. and the world I would never like to stir. The human cost is deplorably huge. But, of course, I am useless wrt resolving any conflict, online or real.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sin Hombre wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:55 am Lebanon and Sharm-el-Shaikh are fine for tourists. Syria is an altogether different kettle of fish.
Yep. Not as stupid to go to Syria proper. I got a flat tire in the Golan Heights in a rental car, and the AAA-equivalent would not come. They helped me fix the tire by talking me through it over the phone for may be an hour or whatever. Golan Heights or the Lebanese border with Syria is also fine too although this week I hear Israel and Lebanon are going at it.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:43 am
Sin Hombre wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:55 am Lebanon and Sharm-el-Shaikh are fine for tourists. Syria is an altogether different kettle of fish.
Yep. Not as stupid to go to Syria proper. I got a flat tire in the Golan Heights in a rental car, and the AAA-equivalent would not come. They helped me fix the tire by talking me through it over the phone for may be an hour or whatever. Golan Heights or the Lebanese border with Syria is also fine too although this week I hear Israel and Lebanon are going at it.
So many questions, Prasen!!! What in the world were you doing in a rental car in the Golan Heights??? You can rent a car in the Golan Heights?? What is the name of the car company - Alarmo?? What are the insurance rates like?? And there's a AAA equivalent in the Golan Heights?? What are they called?? Able Golan Heights Automobile Safety Trust - AGHAST??? And you got a flat tire?? Did they tow you to Tyre to get a new one?? :p

P.S. Sorry, couldn't resist! :D
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

:Offtopic: I rented it in Israel and drove to the Golan Heights area. Forget the company. Most possibly Eldan. I lived there for 2.5 months. I rented a car and my daughter and I went out every weekend because due to Shabbath everything is closed on Saturdays. Except hotels and gas stations.

No country recognizes it is part of Israel but say it is in Syria. But, for all practical purposes it is in Israel. I think Israel now has buses that run there but very infrequently. So, I rented a car in Beer Sheva and drove. I called the car rental company's number. They gave me the number of their AAA-type company. They told me how to change the tire in the car. There was a spare at the back. But, I had never changed a tire before and I had not set up the jack correctly. So the car slipped down again! Anyway, after about an hour or hour and a half of trying, I got the spare tire on. There was nobody on the road. So, I could not find a friendly guy to help me out. However, it gives me a story now. Changing tires for the first time in Golan Heights and having the car slip down.

There are some native Syrians living there but are oppressed. Israel considers them as Druze and not Arabs. And the Druze although they came out of Islamic faith are considered not Muslim by Israel! There is chaos and some fighting on and off there but nothing "serious". It is also the "heights", i.e., high and you can see (mainland) Syria below. So, rockets, etc. are not easy to fire up. The perverse thing is that since Bashar is busy fighting its people, Syria has not really tried to get the Golan Heights back or create chaos in the area with guerilla warfare. So, it is relatively okay now to visit.

You should go. It is spectacular.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:50 pm :Offtopic: ...

You should go. It is spectacular.
Thanks for the great info and encouragement, Prasen. One thing I can see as a huge positive for Golan Heights is that I imagine that it is not overrun by tourists like the tourist traps in Europe. And from your description I can imagine the scenery being stunning. Still I'm not sure I'm ready to put Golan Heights on my bucket list just yet. You've got me thinking, though.

Back to the topic of DC, especially the boondoggle of the India-Pak tie.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I think ITF wanted the venue for the postponed (to November) tie to be announced by tomorrow (Sep 9th). Meanwhile, I found this article from Pakistan amusing - DAVIS CUP TIE IN ISLAMABAD: Dilawar can convince Khanna for India’s visit, says Hameed

They want payback from Anil Khanna, and want him to take the Indian team there on "personal assurance". As in, are you serious?
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

Most of subcontinental affairs appear to have Darbari style of functioning. You scratch my back.. try to impress the patrons-in-charge hoping for a return of favor in a different circumstances. I mean, ultimately it's for Bhupathi and co to decide to travel or not, they shouldn't have any iota of doubt while they're on court. The bigger question is, how much clout does the neighbor really have in influencing the election and secondly, knowing our situation, why are our people seeking their support. If you can take the W you gotta take the L too.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

:Offtopic: I spent a week on holiday in Israel last December, visited Bethlehem in the West Bank, and spent four days exploring Jerusalem. Also drove from Tel-Aviv to Jerusalem, stopping at Caesaria on the way. It was a splendid, unforgettable trip. But I didn't venture north (so missed going to the Gaza Strip).
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

RohitG wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:46 am I mean, ultimately it's for Bhupathi and co to decide to travel or not, they shouldn't have any iota of doubt while they're on court. The bigger question is, how much clout does the neighbor really have in influencing the election and secondly, knowing our situation, why are our people seeking their support. If you can take the W you gotta take the L too.
I do not think they should travel until the government promises a huge amount of security. Unlike individuals who can go under the radar, they will be prime targets for those who want to discredit the Pakistani government.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Sri Lanka's cricket team is supposed to tour Pakistan, but 10 cricketers have pulled out already:

https://www.geo.tv/latest/247108-10-sri ... rity-fears
Last edited by PKBasu on Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.