Davis Cup 2019 - India

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Davis Cup 2019 - India

Post by sameerph »

If at all there can be a good thing in a loss, good thing in this loss is we get into another world group playoff in February 2019.

We will not be seeded there and will meet one of the 12 seeded teams in a home and away tie.

Currently, following 7 teams are confirmed seeded there - Italy,Germany,Kazakhstan, Belgium,Argentina,Serbia,Japan. 5 matches are in third day - Great Britain up 2-1 over Uzbekistan,Austria up 2-1 over Australia, Sweden up 2-1 over Switzerland,Canada up 2-1 over Netherlands and Hungary up 2-1 over Czech Republic. The winners in those matches will be seeded.

I do see some tough but some winnable match-ups there for us. Will have to check home and away combinations too.
Great Britain,Austria,Sweden, Canada and Czech Republic won their matches on Sunday.

So, as of now this looks like our possible opponents in world group qualifying round in February -

Italy (home)
Germany (away)
Kazakhstan (home)
Belgium (home)
Argentina (away)
Serbia (home)
Japan (home)
Great Britain (home)
Austria (home)
Sweden (away)
Canada (home)
Czech Republic (away)

Good that 8 of the 12 possible ties looks to be at home. I will take Kazakstan, Japan or Austria at home or Sweden away.
Florian Buechting
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Davis Cup 2018 - India

Post by Florian Buechting »

I feel that only Argentina and Czech are really terrible and no-chance matches.

The best choice is likely Sweden, even if abroad. Of course, I always dream of Germany... But that would lead to a strong increase in my psychotherapy sessions until February ;) But overall, the selection is not all bad... Means that we will hit one of the bad ones on 26th Sep again...
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

sameerph wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:09 am Good that 8 of the 12 possible ties looks to be at home. I will take Kazakstan, Japan or Austria at home or Sweden away.
We have a slim chance against Austria and no chance against any of the others, assuming they field a first choice lineup.
Florian Buechting

sameerph wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:23 pm Yes, that is a bit surprising. The wild card may go to Switzerland too if they commit that Roger and Stan will be playing. Somehow, this wild card thing looks unnecessary.
I would have fully understood that they somehow compensate missing some teams after the qualification round... But doing it before the qualification sounds quite useless to me too... Especially as 16 teams = 4 groups of 4 teams would have been a much nicer round robin...
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Hmm. The "World" team put up Tiafoe, Sock & Schwartzmann for today's singles matches. Not exactly electrifying, and definitely not something I would take time to watch. This doesn't come close to replacing the intensity of Davis Cup.

Now, replace that by the three BEST non-Europeans (currently del Potro / Anderson / Isner) or even the fourth best (currently Nishikori), and you might have my attention. But Francis Tiafoe? Give me a break.
Florian Buechting

The ITF gave the WildCards to Great Britain and Argentina - which especially means that China and Bosnia-Herzegovina joins the unseeded nations.. And Davis Cup underperformers Switzerland are seeded now (along with Australia) adding a quite nice choice for India to the lot (assuming that neither Federer nor Wawrinka is competing).
Florian Buechting

It's Italy at home. Not impossible...
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Florian Buechting wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:12 pm It's Italy at home. Not impossible...
Depends hugely on who is playing on both teams but I hope we field the best possible doubles team to win us that 1 point and also Yuki to be back healthy and winning.

Italy's team this year:

WG Round 1 v Japan: Fognini, Seppi, Lorenzi, Fabbiano, Bolelli
WG QF vs France: Same team as above - Berrettini replaces Fabbiano

Unless until some of these players get injured or decide not to participate, it is immensely tough for our team. Looking forward to the next 4 months and the upcoming drama!
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

This tie needs to be on Indian grass.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Our players are comfortable on grass? Who?

But I agree that the Italians may be all at sea in one of our Indian grass courts :-) Even then, I do not know if we can overcome. Worth a shot.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

This has to be at south club, Calcutta. Haven't had a Davis cup there in quite some time.

Prof
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

If we are playing Italy at home, we absolutely MUST play on grass -- and preferably on the old-fashioned grass of the South Club, Calcutta. Ramkumar Ramanathan will be our ace, but remember that Prajnesh beat Shapovalov on grass as well, so he will be confident on the surface. If Yuki is fit, all the better.
And of course, Leander and Bopanna should play the doubles rubber; if not, Bopanna-Divij.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

prasen9 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:29 pm Our players are comfortable on grass? Who?
Umm. Ramkumar Ramanathan, victor over Dominic Thiem on the grass at the ATP Antalya Open in 2017, singles runner-up on the grass at Newport in 2018.
Prajnesh too qualified in to the Stuttgart ATP on grass and beat Denis Shapovalov in R1.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

If they can repeat that with home cooking and fans, great!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

As per this report, the match is likely to be on hard courts in Delhi-

Delhi likely to host Davis Cup tie against Italy