Australian open 2019

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Australian open 2019

Post by PKBasu »

Definitely felt like the changing of the guard. The momentum shifted perceptibly in the 9th game of the second set, when Tsitsipas saved 4 consecutive set points with great serving, and then Federer had his only relatively weak serving game of the set. In the TB, Federer duly lost the first point (minibreak against), and it was over -- the momentum had shifted.

Nadal is looking in ominous form so far, and I doubt Tiafoe will trouble him (...could be famous last words!).
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

Tiafoe, after his win against dmitrov, said these parting words “Nadal better get ready...”.. not a great idea to wave a red cape in front of a raging Spanish bull!!😋

Prof
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Nadal's form is usually not the issue ... his knees are. And, whether he still has the game to beat Djokovic.

I doubt Nadal will be more motivated than he was already because of Tiafoe's words. The reason I like Nadal is that he is always fully prepared and ready to give his all on the court. I don't think he can be any more focused or amped up :-)
RohitG
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by RohitG »

So after 3rd seed Federer was knocked out by Tsitsipas, we now have the 4th seed Zverev beaten by Raonic in straight sets. We still have the next gen players Coric, Medvedev and Tiafoe in the draw. The previous batch of new contenders -Raonic, Nishikori and younger Pouille, Carreno-Busta come with more experience this time and only Nadal and Djokovic remain from big-4. This is getting interesting! Let's go Bautista Agut!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Djoker lost a TB in the second set, but then cruised to a 4-set victory over Medvedev.

Sasha Zverev simply melts down in Slams (usually in the fourth round, and once in the QF at last year's FO).
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Our forgettable AO ended with Leander losing his long-delayed R2 MxD match to 5th seeded Groenefeld/Farah 64 46 (8-10)
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

Watched tsitsipas manage Bautista Agut in 4. This 20 - year old showed great maturity in stepping it up in the 3rd from a break down to somehow pull ahead against an awesomely consistent Agut. And the 4th tiebreaker was a masterful display of seizing the opening and with some powerful offence inducing the errors to close it out. What a display! Interesting matchup ahead in the semifinal with Nadal or Tiafoe.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Tiafoe was no match for Nadal, who has developed a whipping forehand service return down the line that is quite potent.

Tsitsipas vs Nadal should be an epic match!
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

What great fun it would be if tsitsipas beat all three to lift the title!!!
S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by S_K_S »

It's all about match-ups and Nadal is the worst match-up for the Greek. Straight sets to put the next-gen back in his box.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Yeah, I think Rafa is going to target Tsitsipas's backhand with his high and heavy forehands. Rafa's serve looks better too..plus he can run all day. As much as I like "changing of the guard", I am rooting for Rafa all the way. He is the only one left that can take Djoker..
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

gbelday wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:02 pm Yeah, I think Rafa is going to target Tsitsipas's backhand with his high and heavy forehands. Rafa's serve looks better too..plus he can run all day. As much as I like "changing of the guard", I am rooting for Rafa all the way. He is the only one left that can take Djoker..
Rafa has plenty of success against the Fed’s Backhand, so Tsitsipas’s one-hander should not provide any nasty surprises that he hasn’t already seen. But Tsitsipas can come up with some interesting patterns that could give him some trouble.Nothing he can’t handle though.

Prof
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

Rajeev Ram and Barbara Krejcikova play M Martinez Sanchez and N Skupski in the Mixed Semifinal’s. Probably one of the last chances for Rajeev to get to the final and perhaps pick up a Slam title. I hope he succeeds - all the years of dedication and hard work have to count for something !!

Prof
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

Ram and Krejcikova win 6-0, 6-4 and are into the final.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Was it a tennis lesson for Tsitsipas?