Australian open 2019

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Australian open 2019

Post by jayakris »

vparam wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:45 pmHonestly Jay, I don't even care for doubles anymore. Just hoping we can someday have a consistent singles players on the ATP tour.
I do care for doubles, still. That is almost entirely because of our Davis Cup needs. That doubles point is one we need to win against good teams - something we have not been able to do for quite a long time. I just need to see a doubles team that is capable of going to at least the final 16 or final 8 at a grand slam, for me to feel a little positive about our Davis Cup chances in the world group. Even though Rohan-Divij has had two bad outings, I think they are the best we have now. (No, LP-RB is not our best even if they agree to play together, because they won't have top-level games together; and just individual doubles ability is not enough for world group doubles unless you have a pair of top-10 payers). So I have interest in RB-Divij at grand slams. Or anybody like Yuki who has top-25 potential in doubles playing at a grand slam. Beyond my Davis Cup objectives, I don't really care for our guys winning a round or two in grand slams.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

Doubles is key for us to have any chances at all in Davis Cup. It is Mahesh's responsibility to build that pipeline along with Rohan. They should be aware that Rohan can only keep going for so long.

I disagree that Divij is a poor partner for Rohan. If they are having problems in Divij's serve games, it is equally Rohan who is coming up short. In all my years of playing doubles, and winning titles, I know that my partner is key to my serve games, even if I am serving well, and even more key if the opponents are creaming my serve. This happens a lot in doubles, this is why the combination matters. If Divij/Rohan are having problems with their combination, then it is Mahesh's responsibility to sort it out and work on intensive patterns with the help of the DC coach.

It is also Mahesh's responsibility to grow the doubles pipeline, given how crucial this is for Davis Cup.

Right now this team is the only pair of horses we have in the race. Our DC pipeline is a major issue for both singles and doubles.

We should resume this conversation in the DC thread.

Prof
gbelday
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by gbelday »

I agree Prof. It’s never one player’s fault in doubles. There are so many factors - chemistry and understanding, the complementary skills, the energy that they feed off each other, who plays ad/deuce etc. Divij is a very good player. I’ve seen Rohan play (twice) - once in doubles and once in MxD and I didn’t come back too impressed. I came back with a feeling that he doesn’t “carry the team” if his partner is having a bad day. With all of his experience, I would expect him to.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

If Rohan isn't effective in Divij's service games, he would not be a good partner with LP either and their record shows as much. LP has a relatively weak serve who needs someone really good at the net to defend his serves. Conversely, LP is really good at the end and can help defend the serve of his partner even if the partner's serve is relatively weak.

Without considering side preferences, based on this aspect, Divij would actually partner well with LP while Rohan would partner well with another big server (perhaps someone like Saketh or RamK). Since Yuki also has a weaker serve, he would also likely partner better with LP or Divij.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

jayakris wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:18 pm
vparam wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:45 pmHonestly Jay, I don't even care for doubles anymore. Just hoping we can someday have a consistent singles players on the ATP tour.
I do care for doubles, still. That is almost entirely because of our Davis Cup needs.
Yes, I also do care for it as it counts for a medal at the olympics ( and Asiad). A medal in doubles is of as much value as a medal in singles. In that way, I would be also interested in mixed doubles if there is an all Indian pair as mixed doubles is also an olympic medal.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:01 amYes, I also do care for it as it counts for a medal at the olympics ( and Asiad). A medal in doubles is of as much value as a medal in singles. In that way, I would be also interested in mixed doubles if there is an all Indian pair as mixed doubles is also an olympic medal.
True. Just that Olympics is still some distance away; so I will start looking at where our men and women are in doubles early next year. Is Sania going to get back to doubles? She said a few days ago that she is back to doing physical training and is expecting to return by the end of the year. Let us wait and see if that happens. She is probably still the best bet for MxD at the Olympics.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

jayakris wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:40 am
sameerph wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:01 amYes, I also do care for it as it counts for a medal at the olympics ( and Asiad). A medal in doubles is of as much value as a medal in singles. In that way, I would be also interested in mixed doubles if there is an all Indian pair as mixed doubles is also an olympic medal.
True. Just that Olympics is still some distance away; so I will start looking at where our men and women are in doubles early next year. Is Sania going to get back to doubles? She said a few days ago that she is back to doing physical training and is expecting to return by the end of the year. Let us wait and see if that happens. She is probably still the best bet for MxD at the Olympics.
Maybe Sania may want to play with Quraishi and win mxd for Pakistan we dont know.
ornatebrute

Post by ornatebrute »

knarayen wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:30 pm
Maybe Sania may want to play with Quraishi and win mxd for Pakistan we dont know.
You don't know? Then you don't say. Just because one has the right to express, doesn't mean it necessarily has be the clichéd trash. If that was meant to be for fun, then it clearly wasn't funny. 🙄
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

ornatebrute wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:46 pm
knarayen wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:30 pm
You don't know? Then you don't say. Just because one has the right to express, doesn't mean it necessarily has be the clichéd trash. If that was meant to be for fun, then it clearly wasn't funny. 🙄

Yeah...well...too bad if you got offended...i don’t have any difference anxiety when it comes to Pakistan. If she marries into Pakistan, then that’s where she goes.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Prof, Sania is a proud Indian and will always represent India.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Um, there's a plethora of sportspeople married to other nationalities and the thought of switching allegiance doesn't enter their mind...
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

Prashant wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:01 pm Um, there's a plethora of sportspeople married to other nationalities and the thought of switching allegiance doesn't enter their mind...
True....however in the case of India and Pakistan, my perspective is a bit different. I’m aware that at a people-to-people level, it is easy for me to see how many things we have in common. Heart-rending actually. And there is a belief among sportsmen and sportswomen that sports should transcend politics. The problem is that the political differences between India and Pakistan are too real for me to ignore.

We can debate this endlessly, but the day when Pakistan Government treats Hindus and Sikhs, and folowers of Dharmic civilisation with mutual respect and with equality, as India does with followers of other religions as baked into India’s constitution - when that day comes, then I drop my perspective on Pakistan.

prof
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Fully agree with you, Prof. I don't equate Pakistan with "many other countries" as far as relations with India are concerned. That said, I do agree that Sania has no intention to play for Pakistan but I can't root for a country which serves little worthwhile purpose.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I had some comments on Prof's comments, but posted that in the Sabarimala thread, here, as it goes on another angle about how much (or how little) the Indian state respects religions. I am always one who hated even the concept of Pakistan, but also one who takes them only as a pest country ("bug country"). I detest the country for all kinds of reasons, but think we give them undue importance. I wasn't offended at Sania marrying Shoaib, and actually defended her very strongly at that time. She has continued to represent in India and has shown herself to be no less a patriot than anybody else, while doing that. No issues with her.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

Thanks jay. I did read your comments in the Sabarimala thread and replied there. I need to be careful about confusing my expectations and hopes of how India can be with the way things really are.

Prof