Australian open 2019

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

knarayen

Re: Australian open 2019

Post by knarayen »

PKBasu wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:07 am Frances Tiafoe was born in Maryland, which makes him just as American as Barack Obama or Donald Trump (whose grandpa was an immigrant from Germany). Tiafoe’s parents were immigrants from Sierra Leone, and his dad was head of maintenance at the USTA Regional Tennis Centre in Maryland, where he was born and had his early tennis training. He is every bit as American as the “white hopes” of US tennis, and more talented than the likes of the Harrison brothers. He won the Orange Bowl at 15, making him the youngest-ever winner of the tournament. Apart from racism, there is no basis to dispute him being “the great hope of US tennis”, as I called him.
I agree, and am intrigued with his potential. But no question as to who I will be rooting for this time, and it most assuredly is NOT Tiafoe. :D

Prof
Rajiv
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Rajiv »

Tommorow Prajnesh plays the 2nd match on Court #15 after completion of a ladies match.
Play commences at 11am local time.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

The doubles draw is out and following are the R1 opponents for our guys

K Kraweitz/ N Mektiv v N Monroe / Jeevan Nedunchezisn

R Bopanna / D Sharan v   Carreno Busta / G Garcia Lopez

A Krajicek /  A Sitak v L Paes / M Reyes Verels
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Also importantly Divij and Rohan r seeded ... Overall a decent draw for our pairs.

[R1] Nicholas Monroe (USA)/ Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (IND) vs Kevin Krawietz (GER)/ Nikola Mektic (CRO)
[R1] (15) Rohan Bopanna (IND)/ Divij Sharan (IND) vs Pablo Carreno Busta (ESP)/ Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP)
[R1] Leander Paes (IND)/ Miguel Angel Reyes-Varela (MEX) vs Austin Krajicek (USA)/ Artem Sitak (NZL)
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

atula wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:29 am How much has prajnesh earned till now in Aus open..??
He has ensured Australian dollars 75K already which is equivalent of USD 54K I think, easily his biggest paycheck so far. Prajnesh did earn about $158K last year which was pretty good and it should be much more this year if he is able to play all the slams. I think he cannot afford to have a good coaching team and probably a travelling coach too at least at the major tournaments.
atula

Post by atula »

He has earned..$75000 Plus $40000 For the three Qualifying Matches..??
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

atula wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:32 pm He has earned..$75000 Plus $40000 For the three Qualifying Matches..??
Nope. I think the first round losers get only get money paid to losers of that round irrespective of weather they are qualifiers or direct entrants.

In case of points, though it is addition of qualifiers points and first round losers points.
atula

Post by atula »

Prajnesh has earned about 256000$ in Career..

If he can reach the 2nd Round..he will earn about 35% of the same in about a week.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

knarayen wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:14 am
PKBasu wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:07 am Frances Tiafoe was born in Maryland, which makes him just as American as Barack Obama or Donald Trump (whose grandpa was an immigrant from Germany). Tiafoe’s parents were immigrants from Sierra Leone, and his dad was head of maintenance at the USTA Regional Tennis Centre in Maryland, where he was born and had his early tennis training. He is every bit as American as the “white hopes” of US tennis, and more talented than the likes of the Harrison brothers. He won the Orange Bowl at 15, making him the youngest-ever winner of the tournament. Apart from racism, there is no basis to dispute him being “the great hope of US tennis”, as I called him.
I agree, and am intrigued with his potential. But no question as to who I will be rooting for this time, and it most assuredly is NOT Tiafoe. :D

Prof
Oh, absolutely, we are all rooting wholeheartedly for Prajnesh. Given that Tiafoe is on a 6-match losing streak, Prajnesh needs to cash in on his opponent's low morale early.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

sameerph wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:20 pm I think he cannot afford to have a good coaching team and probably a travelling coach too at least at the major tournaments.
Maybe now he can for some weeks?
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I doubt Tiafoe's coach will have much information about Prajnesh either, so the lack of a travelling coach will not be too much of an impediment in the first round at least...
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

I don't know how many of you noticed but Prajnesh is currently assisted by a coach/physio(?) from TU and 26 yo Saurabh Patil (A former junior-level ITF player - turned coach) in Melbourne. Saurabh was never ranked in the top-100 juniors but somehow decided to retire and become a coach but I am not sure what kind of a role Saurabh plays either or why Prajnesh decided to rope him in, in the first place.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

Jim Courier on Tennis Channel just called the Tiafoe vs Gunner match as a “guaranteed win” for Tiafoe.

This is aimed at Tiafoe - because he will listen to Jim since he influences Davis Cup and if Tiafoe loses here it will not look good for JIm and Tiafoe.

Of course I hope that the Gunner proves Jim Courier wrong.

TC may not cover this match and AO site won’t stream in NA. Anybody who has a link please post it?

Prof
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

In the US all courts are being streamed on ESPN+ and ESPN3. Its $5 per month...
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

Thanks Prashant.