WTA125Ks - Mumbai (Oct 29th), Taipei (Nov 11th)

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: WTA125Ks - Mumbai (Oct 29th), Taipei (Nov 11th)

Post by sameerph »

Yes, this 125K series are not WTA main tour tournaments in the real sense. They are as good as higher level challengers on mens side.

Anyway, congrats to Karman and Ankita for the title. That should boost their morale a bit for the singles which is their main priority still.
Omkara
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Omkara »

Great morale booster. Some money. Hope more to come.
ornatebrute

Post by ornatebrute »

I think it is called a WTA Challenger only. 🙈
But the trophy gets added to their WTA cabinet as they don't have a separate "WTA Challenger Tour" as such all throughout the year. For example: Shvedova had won one similar event, but she's still considered to have won a WTA singles trophy, regardless.
It has been repeatedly argued by players like Sara Errani that how far the Women's your lags behind when compared to the Men's Professional Tour, be it in the number of tournaments or the prize money.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Wta challengers are made to by ITF. No clue why?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

It is just great to see our best two players playing together in doubles, and winning! Keep it going, ladies. Maybe we will have an "Indian Expressas" that goes to the top in women's doubles!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Fabulous indeed to see Ankita/Karman win a WTA doubles title. May they go from strength to strength!!
vparam

Post by vparam »

ornatebrute wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:33 pm I think it is called a WTA Challenger only. 🙈
But the trophy gets added to their WTA cabinet as they don't have a separate "WTA Challenger Tour" as such all throughout the year. For example: Shvedova had won one similar event, but she's still considered to have won a WTA singles trophy, regardless.
It has been repeatedly argued by players like Sara Errani that how far the Women's your lags behind when compared to the Men's Professional Tour, be it in the number of tournaments or the prize money.
I completely agree with respect to prize money. Karman and Ankita had a great week by topping it off with their first WTA doubles titles. With that being said, they shared only $5,500 which hardly covered their air travel, hotel and other expenses. If you take into account taxes, I'm sure they each took in less than $2,000, which is quite sad. How can anyone make a living in this sport unless you are a top 50 player?
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

vparam wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:09 pm I completely agree with respect to prize money. Karman and Ankita had a great week by topping it off with their first WTA doubles titles. With that being said, they shared only $5,500 which hardly covered their air travel, hotel and other expenses. If you take into account taxes, I'm sure they each took in less than $2,000, which is quite sad. How can anyone make a living in this sport unless you are a top 50 player?
I don't think either of Ankita/Karman has financial issues to meet the travel expenses anymore. Ankita is supported by the Gujarat government and Karman is now part of the Virat Kohli foundation. Also, I am sure WTA tournaments provide free hospitality for the main draw players. No?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

vparam wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:09 pm With that being said, they shared only $5,500 which hardly covered their air travel, hotel and other expenses. If you take into account taxes, I'm sure they each took in less than $2,000, which is quite sad. How can anyone make a living in this sport unless you are a top 50 player?
Air travel, hotel and other expenses can be considered business expenses in most countries. So, to do the taxes, you would take out the expenses out of $2500 each and on the rest you will pay taxes at whatever rate. Still it does not leave very much for them.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

vparam wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:09 pm With that being said, they shared only $5,500 which hardly covered their air travel, hotel and other expenses. If you take into account taxes, I'm sure they each took in less than $2,000, which is quite sad. How can anyone make a living in this sport unless you are a top 50 player?
Air travel, hotel and other expenses can be considered business expenses in most countries. So, to do the taxes, you would take out the expenses out of $2500 each and on the rest you will pay taxes at whatever rate. Still it does not leave very much for them.

Tennis tournaments should make it free for at least main draw players providing say at least 2-star or some basic room and board. Then, the rest of the profit/sponsorship can be used for prize money.