US Open 2018

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Omkara
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: US Open 2018

Post by Omkara »

This discussion helps us very little. Main question is 'how fit is he now?'

If he is fit, I am certain that one good tournament and he is back to top 80. If not then no point.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Agree with Omkara. If he was fit, he would not have skipped the entire hard court season which is his best surface and he could have gotten into some ATP level main draws.

Clearly, his schedule was geared so that he could play the US open for monetary reasons when an injury or withdrawal in previous tournament would have jeopardized his participation and perhaps give him time to recover. Interested to see how much he plays now that the pressure of staying fit for the GS is over...
bujilover
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by bujilover »

bujilover wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:56 pm Doubles draw is out. No Jeevan/AK and the South Indian express :( and only RB features in the XD (w/ Laura Siegemund).
Updated draw now shows Jeevan partnering Asian Games Gold medalist Denis Istomin but they are up against the 5th seeds and Farah and Cabal.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Yuki has lost, what, 18 out of 19 grand slam sets? Jeez, that is bad, whatever the reason :( :( ... yuki yuki not sambhavAmi. Not happening...
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yes, and he’s had really good draws in all four Slams this year. I think he is being a bit too conservative about match play. Surely could have played a Challenger in early August, and turned up at Winston-Salem to prepare for today.
I hope he does play in Chicago next week. I’m scheduled to be there next week, so might even be able to watch him if he is playing later in the week :)
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

What??? Yuki lost??? In straights?? In the first round?? And I thought that because Yuki had gone completely quiet ahead of the tournament it meant that he'd been practicing and training really hard, which then meant that he'd likely come up with a sensational performance resulting in a relatively easy win, and then he would do serious damage in R2 against Kyrgios because he plays better in the second match, and thus set up a blockbuster against Federer!!! And they say pessimists are more accurate, but optimists live longer!! I don't know, man, all this optimism is hard on my liver!!! I need a stiff drink!!! :damn:
punarayan

Post by punarayan »

I don't remember missing an Indian playing singles at the USO, but yesterday was too hot and humid for me to cross bridges and fight traffic. I did not expect Yuki to win, but that is no reason to stay away - one should show up. I have done this long enough. Yuki was rusty and it showed, especially in his returns. But, he just could not hold serve at crucial moments in the second and third sets. There were a few games in the third set when he pushed his opponent back with some fierce hitting, but it was short lived - lack of confidence after a lack of match practice. Barring injuries, I look for Yuki to break through to the top 50 in the near future. I will try go see Lee - still the main Indian draw, if the weather cools a bit.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Mea culpa, jai_in_canada. The first match was going to be tough, and Yuki didn't help himself by not capitalising on his breaks in the second and third sets.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

punarayan wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:32 am I don't remember missing an Indian playing singles at the USO, but yesterday was too hot and humid for me to cross bridges and fight traffic. I did not expect Yuki to win, but that is no reason to stay away - one should show up. I have done this long enough. Yuki was rusty and it showed, especially in his returns. But, he just could not hold serve at crucial moments in the second and third sets. There were a few games in the third set when he pushed his opponent back with some fierce hitting, but it was short lived - lack of confidence after a lack of match practice. Barring injuries, I look for Yuki to break through to the top 50 in the near future. I will try go see Lee - still the main Indian draw, if the weather cools a bit.
Just wanted to say, I really admire and look forward to all your posts. In a phase, where most of us in the forum go with the flow of bashing / praising our player depending on if they win or lose, you always seem to remain balanced while being constructive in your posts. Thank you!
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Vishnu, as I suggested to you earlier, you don’t have to quote the entire post in your reply. Just a snippet would do. Sometimes, even that isn’t needed. As in your response to punarayan today. Thanks.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Atithee wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:32 pm Vishnu, as I suggested to you earlier, you don’t have to quote the entire post in your reply. Just a snippet would do. Sometimes, even that isn’t needed. As in your response to punarayan today. Thanks.
Off-topic but useful for me to learn and ensure I am on the same page, as I notice a disconnect. The feedback was for multi-chain quotation i.e., A quoting B. C quoting A (which already includes B's quote) and so on.

In the above case, it is a single person quote (punarayan). To cross-verify, I repeat the steps

1. Check Active Topics to see the pattern of the moderators/senior posters: search.php?search_id=active_topics
2. Every topic / page that I have opened, follows the same pattern of quotation (includes forum founders/moderators).

Athithee / Moderators: Let me know via private message if I missed a forum guideline or an accepted norm, would be happy to correct.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Vishnu, I’m not sure what the disconnect is. Please do what you feel is right. This is not meant for you to think too much. All I was saying is that most of the times referencing the entire previous post may not be necessary. Just including the name of the original member or just a line or two are sufficient to connect your reply to a previous post. Such as this reply to you. There is no need for me to quote you at all. You’re fine. Thanks for your consideration.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

PKBasu wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:30 pm Mea culpa, jai_in_canada. The first match was going to be tough, and Yuki didn't help himself by not capitalising on his breaks in the second and third sets.
No worries, @PKB. I do admire your relentless optimism. To be honest, I was somewhat hopeful myself (though not as much as you were) based on how Yuki came out of nowhere to beat Monfils in DC in 2017 and had a couple of other good wins. Just disappointed ... not sure with whom ... but decided to vent about your optimism. Please keep your optimism coming. It's the positive version of the doomsday bears that prowl Wall Street.... one day you'll be proved right, except in this case we'll all rejoice.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Rohan-Edouard scored a comeback win over the tricky pairing of Mischa and Baghdatis ... In the second round, they r facing Ebden and Withrow ... Purav and Gojowczyk lost in straight sets against Melzer and Mektic.

At US Open 2018, New York, USA

[R1] Peter Gojowczyk (GER)/ Purav Raja (IND) l Nikola Mektic (CRO)/ Jurgen Melzer (AUT) 67(2) 46
[R1] (15) Rohan Bopanna (IND)/ Edouard Roger-Vasselin (FRA) bt Marcos Baghdatis (CYP)/ Mischa Zverev (GER) 46 63 64

[R2] (15) Rohan Bopanna (IND)/ Edouard Roger-Vasselin (FRA) vs Matthew Ebden (AUS)/ Jackson Withrow (USA)
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Thank you, Athithee.