ATP Tournaments in North America, July-August 2018

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

knarayen

Re: ATP Tournaments in North America, July-August 2018

Post by knarayen »

jayakris wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:07 am
S_K_S wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:30 amIs one of the reasons why Indians have a good record in Newport is that they mess up their prep for grass and therefore peak in time for Newport rather than playing more in the early few weeks and peaking for Wimbledon qualies and the slam?
I have always felt that the uneven bounce at Newport (exactly what VReddy just mentioned) is the real reason for Indians' success there. It is low bounce as well, and that also may help Indians. If I am not mistaken, den Bosche also has somewhat uneven bounces. And VReddy is correct that Wimbledon, Stuttgart, Queens etc are on much more even and higher-bounce grass courts.

Why the uneven low bounce helps Indians is unclear to me though. One guess could be that Indians are used to playing on bad courts, but I am not sure of that either. Guys like RamK, Prakash and Rajeev Ram who had never really played on bad-bounce Indian courts have done well at Newport. So, that explanation doesn't work.

A better guess I have had is that it has something to do with the Indian genes possibly having some special characteristic that connects reflexes to wrists, along with some general flexibility of the wrists. That comes in handy when there is uneven bounce. This possible ability of Indian genes may be lesser known, as this athletic factor doesn't seem to be important or useful in most sports, except for grass hockey, grass tennis, and cricket. And we have had some of the most legendary wrists in the world in all these sports. But this characteristic usually doesn't go well with power generation, which may be why Indians haven't been that successful with it in squash, badminton and table tennis where also one would expect the wrists might be of use.

Another sport where it will really help (probably the most among all sports?) is Lacrosse, but Indians don't play it. Picking a ball up from the ground in a melee requires extreme reflexes and coordinated flexible wrists, and it is a big part of Lacrosse. I only have one data point on Lacrosse which is my own son, who is the most wristy Lacrosse player I have ever seen (he was ranked top-3 in the US national rankings in ground ball stats in his senior year in high school and was even recruited by some schools then, as I have mentioned before).
Jai actually a better example is squash - Indians have done well in that sport and Pakistanis too!

I did watch RamK's finals at Newport all the way through 1-4 in the 3rd - when it became clear that Steve Johnson would prevail. I noticed in the first set that even though RamK had 5 aces to no doubles, compared to 0-4 for Steve Johnson, still SJ was holding firm and RamK was unable to move forward. Agree his returns have improved, but he wasnt able to exert a lot of pressure with them. RamK was serving/volleying very well, but to a fixed pattern and SJ was even able to run around off the first volley to his backhand and pass consistently with inside-out forehands. These were beginning to get too predictable and sure enough all it took was for one backhand volley error at 5-5 to give the break SJ needed to close out set 1.

The second set was very promising, RamK broke early and held to completion - I was very optimistic at this stage because RamK powered ahead with some very consistent serving and it was apparent that SJ had shifted strategy to try and dominate set 3.

Set 3 started off ok - but SJ gradually began to dominate RamK's first volley return - this is the kind of pressure that RamK himself could not exert on SJ! Such is RamK's serve that he can still hang with the top 50 guys. This is very promising...I hope he can improve on the return games and exert more pressure on his opponents in those games. It can make a huge difference and catapult him into the top 50 if he improves in this area.

Prof
Rajiv
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Rajiv »

Nice Analysis Prof .. reading it, felt like being there
Couldn't watch the Finals and reading your analysis provides a very crystal picture
ornatebrute
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by ornatebrute »

Ramkumar ousted by Fritz. :(
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Ramkumar = Serve + Slice
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Atlanta R1 - Taylor Fritz def Ramkumar Ramanathan 6-4, 6-4. Considering he won only 9/49 points on the return RR did well to keep it close. One break in each set.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

So a rather bad week for us, apart from Karman's wonderful comeback win.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

I would say a decent week as all 4 were playing higher ranked opponents (next level if i dare say). 1/4 is a good return.

I think we will have a good week in doubles, which will hopefully make it overall good.
Varma

Post by Varma »

I guess none of realized that for the first time ever we have 11 players playing tour events the same week

Singles
Ankita
Karman
RamK
Prajnesh

Doubles
Prarthana
Divij
Leander
Purav
Jeevan
Vishnu
Bala

What are we complaining about? :p

- Varma
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Just a few years back, we would have been happy with 4 players in CH main draws outside of India. We are now complaining about a week with 4 players in tour level MD.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Exactly, Sin Hombre. When I was doing the TennisIndia daily notes back in the late 90s, we had THREE players who could make challenger draws (LP, MB, Niru). I would get a glass of wine and celebrate if we had a top-500 win by anybody else, which came only once in several weeks (only 3 others, Srinath Prahlad, Rushmi Chakravarthi and Sai Jayalakshmi really had even any chance at it; maybe Fazaluddin too). We have come a long way, no doubt.

And thanks, Verma. I knew that we had a truckload of guys playing, but it hadn't sunk in that there are ELEVEN Indians in tour events. And remember that we have our highest ranked singles and doubles players (Yuki and Bops) sitting out this week. We could have had 13 of them playing!!
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

In the doubles, Lee and Jamie lost in the first round against Mike Bryan and Tiafoe.

At $668K Atlanta Open 2018, Georgia, USA

[R1] (SE) Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND,115) l Taylor Fritz (USA,65) 46 46

Doubles
[R1] Jamie Cerretani (USA)/ Leander Paes (IND) l Mike Bryan (USA)/ Frances Tiafoe (USA) 57 16
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Great week of participation for us in the true Olympic spirit — it is not the winning but the taking part!
At Atlanta everyone lost early, except Purav in doubles. Karman was the only one who advanced in singles. I’m not complaining but this was a disappointing week compared to last week in terms of wins.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Yes, disappointed by Divij and Artem's straight sets loss against Chardy and Arneodo.

[R1] (1) Divij Sharan (IND)/ Artem Sitak (NZL) l Romain Arneodo (MON)/ Jeremy Chardy (FRA) 46 57
meyyis

Post by meyyis »

It was mighty close. Purav and Skupski beat Fritz and Norrie to reach the semis.

[QF] Purav Raja (IND) / Ken Skupski (GBR) d. Taylor Fritz (USA) / Cameron Norrie (GBR) : 3-6, 6-1, 11-9
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

A good comeback win for Purav and Ken.