ATP Tournaments in North America, July-August 2018

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: ATP Tournaments in North America, July-August 2018

Post by arjun2761 »

Yes, break out tournament for RamK on the grass in Newport! Good chance to make his maiden ATP finals...
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Terrific stuff from Ramkumar!! And god bless Newport, the second home for Indian tennis! In the past 20 years, we’ve had four semifinalists in singles there — LP twice, PA once and RamK now, while VA won it in 1976, 1980 and 1984, and AA beat John McEnroe there the week after McEnroe first made the Wimbledon SF.

In a symbolic passing of the torch, Jeevan/Austin beat Leander/James to make the doubles SF. In the bottom half Sharan/Withrow play Erlich/Sitak in the SF. Can we have Divij vs Jeevan in the final? Why not!
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

jaydeep wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:22 pm[QF] (2) Divij Sharan (IND)/ Jackson Withrow (USA) bt Matthew Ebden (AUS)/ Sergiy Stakhovsky (UKR) 76(4) 63
Divij should stop playing with this guy. Every now and then I feel that he withdrew from the match when I read quickly :)
atula

Post by atula »

Its Probably the Biggest Paycheque..for Ramkumar..$28000 TILL NoW..i THINK.... :rant:
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

jayakris wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:39 pm There is something about those courts in Newport, Rhode Island... I don't know what it is, but Indians just get inspired there. Go RamK, go!! Take the title.
I love our success here but the field has been for decades now essentially a high level challenger event on true grass.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

jayakris wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:14 am Divij should stop playing with this guy. Every now and then I feel that he withdrew from the match when I read quickly :)
ha ... ha ... really. :D

In end, comfortable straight sets win for RamK over Vasek Pospisil ... In the semis, he is facing American Tim Smyczek ... This match will be played on Saturday.
Jeevan and Austin continue with their good form and defeated experienced pairing of Lee and Cerretani in straight sets ... Next, they r facing the 4th seeds

At $623K Hall of Fame Open 2018, Newport, USA

[SF] Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND,161) vs Tim Smyczek (USA,123)

Doubles
[QF] Austin Krajicek (USA)/ Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (IND) bt Jamie Cerretani (USA)/ Leander Paes (IND) 63 76(3)

[SF] Austin Krajicek (USA)/ Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (IND) vs (4) Marcelo Arevalo (ESA)/ Miguel Angel Reyes-Varela (MEX)
[SF] (2) Divij Sharan (IND)/ Jackson Withrow (USA) vs Jonathan Erlich (ISR)/ Artem Sitak (NZL)
fabshab

Post by fabshab »

Has he not secured a special exempt spot in Atp Atlanta.

If yes then its like icing on the cake. :-)
sportsfan

Post by sportsfan »

Doubles
[QF] Austin Krajicek (USA)/ Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (IND) bt Jamie Cerretani (USA)/ Leander Paes (IND) 63 76(3)
No begrudging the loss here but off late Paes has developed a special knack of choosing partners to make it hard on himself.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Excellent run by RamK to become the second Indian ATP Semi finalist since Somdev in 2011 Johannesburg ATP. I think he has a good chance of at least making the final here.
fabshab wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:54 am Has he not secured a special exempt spot in Atp Atlanta.

There are 2 players ranked above him who are still alive in Newport- Smyczek and Dudi Sela. So, due to his higher ranking Smyczek has earned one of the wild cards. Dudi Sela plays his QF today against third seed Steve Johnson. If Sela loses in that match, RamK should get the second special exempt for Atlanta. But it Sela wins , he will get it due to higher ranking and RamK will have to miss out Atlanta altogether.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

As long as Withrow and D are throwing their opponents out of the court, I am fine with them playing together :-)
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

sameerph wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:13 am Excellent run by RamK to become the second Indian ATP Semi finalist since Somdev in 2011 Johannesburg ATP. I think he has a good chance of at least making the final here.
fabshab wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:54 am Has he not secured a special exempt spot in Atp Atlanta.

There are 2 players ranked above him who are still alive in Newport- Smyczek and Dudi Sela. So, due to his higher ranking Smyczek has earned one of the wild cards. Dudi Sela plays his QF today against third seed Steve Johnson. If Sela loses in that match, RamK should get the second special exempt for Atlanta. But it Sela wins , he will get it due to higher ranking and RamK will have to miss out Atlanta altogether.
Steve Johnson has no business losing to dudi sela. Lets hope that doesn't happen
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

prasen9 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:05 pm As long as Withrow and D are throwing their opponents out of the court, I am fine with them playing together :-)
Both our pairs lost in the Newport SF today :-(

Somehow, we haven't had too much success in doubles here, despite all the singles successes!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

But Johnson comfortably beats Sela, so RamK now has the SE slot for Atlanta.