Tennis Asian Games 2018, Indonesia - Jakarta Palembang 2018

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Tennis Asian Games 2018, Indonesia - Jakarta Palembang 2018

Post by PKBasu »

A very disappointing campaign in tennis at this year's Asiad, with just one gold (Divij-Rohan in men's doubles) and two bronze (Prajnesh and Ankita in singles). Mixed doubles and women's doubles were shockers, as was Ramkumar in singles. Istomin won the singles gold, and a place at the Tokyo Olympics.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Our expectations in tennis are misaligned.

Our so called legends and doubles #1s in Leander, Mahesh and Sania could not win a single Olympics medal in doubles in over 2 decades of trying; and not for a lack of funding or support.

Any complaints against Ankita and Prajnesh are silly to say the least.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

No complaints at all about Prajnesh or Ankita, who both did well to win singles bronze medals.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I really have no complaints on Bops either. This is what you get from Bops. He has shown time and again in his career that he can do very well if he has a good partner, but he has never shown any consistent ability to carry somebody else like LP and MB could, when adversity hit. The importance of that ability is most pronounced in Mixed doubles, where there could be serious match-up problems that can happen (somewhat unpredictably) between your woman partner and the male across the net, regardless of their rankings and even abilities. RB can take over the game for short stretches and go berserk, but he has never been one who can consistently stick to strategies and execute what is needed to protect and carry a female partner who is under trouble. RB is better at it in men's doubles, though again not at LP's or MB's levels. But not too many have ever been like LP or MB in doubles. Barring there being an LP or MB in the field, mixed doubles at Asiad ends up being a bit of crap-shoot in the end, and somebody or other would win the Gold. That is exactly what happened here!

What I mean is that, I don't blame RB as though he did particularly worse and screwed things up. He played up to the level of what he is known to do. So, I am fine with Rohan, and thank him for doing what is needed to get us at least one Gold! Prajnesh and Ankita certainly brought their best to grab a bronze each. I commend RamK for his right attitude towards Asiad and for going there and fighting. It didn't work out for him, that's all.
sportsfan

Post by sportsfan »

Agree whole-heartedly with your sentiments, Jay and the essence. No two players are the same, in their games and the mental make-up. Each one faced circumstances that are unique to them (which shaped their games and mental make-up but brought them to a level so that they can earn the honor to represent India). So, I believe it's not fair to compare them against each other (including fading past heroes). We just need to see if they gave their 100% for the country when the situation demanded. Rohan and RamK in this situation sacrificed playing one Masters and one ATP tournament (which could have earned them more money and points) and risked long flights, longer jet lags, and are jeopardizing their chances at the US Open starting next week.

Anyone criticizing or faulting Rohan for losing the MxD match is letting their emotions or biases getting in a way of the realities and vicissitudes of the competitive sports. The double faults, errors, winners are all part of the game. It did not work out in that match, he couldn't step up and deliver when it counted (according to some) - but it's part and parcel of tennis. He will feel it more than anybody else and probably will live with that for the rest of his life than anybody else and the fans need to be mature enough to recognize that, accept the disappointment and move on.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I think we at least have an obligation to call it as it is. Rohan was the highest-ranked doubles player in the field, and he and Divij were easily the highest-ranked pair. That they duly won the gold is excellent, despite the unexpected struggles along the way. Rohan and any partner should have won the Mixed Doubles gold too, since Prarthana and Ankita are both very good doubles players (and among the highest-ranked women doubles players in the field). We did much worse than expected in women's doubles, mixed doubles and men's singles (apart from Prajnesh). Ramkumar should have played the final against Istomin, but he is inconsistent. Falling at the first hurdle was completely unexpected from him, but he needn't get down on himself. Ramkumar's career has been characterised by spectacular tournaments (where he rams through the field), interspersed with inexplicable early-round losses to lower-ranked players. Sadly, Asiad2018 turned out to be one of the latter. Prajnesh, on the other hand, is much more consistent in his career progress. But Ramkumar has time on his side, being much the youngest of our quartet of world-class Challenger+-level players.
kaustav

Post by kaustav »

Both Leander and Hesh did well at each and every Asiad and sacrificing for the nation was part and parcel for them. Take example of Hiroshima Asiad 1994 where two golds for LP ( team and Gaurav Natekar doubles) was single handedly improved India from12-13th poisition to respectable 8th in the medal table. Look how important those TWO golds from Tennis out of 4 India got. So if you see the results of this Asiad it's quite disappointing. Nothing against Rohan he tried and gave us one and missed one, it's okay life goes on.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

sportsfan wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:43 am So, I believe it's not fair to compare them against each other (including fading past heroes).
I agree it is not fair. But, we always keep comparing. Maybe it is just human to compare and put things in partial orders or perspectives.
We just need to see if they gave their 100% for the country when the situation demanded.
How do we know if they gave 100% or just relaxed in some games?
Anyone criticizing or faulting Rohan for losing the MxD match is letting their emotions or biases getting in a way of the realities and vicissitudes of the competitive sports.
So, whose fault is it? His partner's? How can you lose a match without it being your fault. It is your team's fault and deficiency either physically or mentally that you came out short. You win, it is your work. You lose, it is your fault. Every match. Every player. Everytime.
The double faults, errors, winners are all part of the game. It did not work out in that match, he couldn't step up and deliver when it counted (according to some) - but it's part and parcel of tennis.
But this is a straw argument. I don't think anyone above said that they were not playing tennis. We are saying exactly what you said. He could not step up and deliver in the match he lose in mixed doubles. That is just a fact. Also, given that they were highly ranked, it was a below par performance given that we use rankings to more or less estimate probabilities of winning.
He will feel it more than anybody else and probably will live with that for the rest of his life than anybody else and the fans need to be mature enough to recognize that, accept the disappointment and move on.
These are again strawmen. Nobody said that he will feel it less than us. Nobody said that we do not recognize that bad days happen to players all the time. Nobody is not accepting the disappointment and not moving on. We are just expressing our thoughts with respect to the matter.

Wrt the strawmen, if I missed some specific comment that you are responding to, my apologies in advance.
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

sportsfan wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:43 am which shaped their games and mental make-up but brought them to a level so that they can earn the honor to represent India. We just need to see if they gave their 100% for the country when the situation demanded. Rohan and RamK in this situation sacrificed playing one Masters and one ATP tournament (which could have earned them more money and points) and risked long flights, longer jet lags, and are jeopardizing their chances at the US Open starting next week. Anyone criticizing or faulting Rohan for losing the MxD match is letting their emotions or biases getting in a way of the realities and vicissitudes of the competitive sports.
I think you are letting your biases get in the way. You can't have it both ways. If it's an honor to play for India, then it's not a sacrifice. You are supposed to prioritize one over the other. These guys are not the first ones to skip tournaments for an Asian Games so I don't think it's something special/unique they have done. Aren't long flights, jet lags by-products of being on the tour? It's the player's choice to either play or not play for India. If you are funded through TOPS, you are expected to play for India (and win medals) When you talk about the money, don't forget the several financial incentives that various Governments (Central and States) rewarded the medalists. For instance, if RamK had justified his seeding and reached the finals, a silver medal would have fetched him 20 lakhs from the Central Govt. I am not even including the state rewards and other private organizations. Now compare that with what he would have earned at USO. Also compare the level of draw of both these events.

Which brings me to my next point. Apart from honor for playing for the country, this was also an easier route to money, fame (with all the social and media attention) for our tennis players. It was also an opportunity to prove themselves. Ankita and Prajnesh did that. Ankita wasn't even in the top-4 seeds at the start. OTOH Rohan was top seed in Men's Doubles and 4th in MxD. I'd also say that he was the most experienced in that draw when it comes to top tier doubles tennis. It was fair to expect a Gold in Men's doubles and atleast a bronze in MXD (courtesy of reaching semis) That's the reason we say he won one and lost one medal. Our doubles old guard (Lee, Hesh, Bops) will be judged and scrutinized more if that's what you're hinting at, because they have been the most vocal and pulled no punches, time and time again right before the Davis Cup, Asian Games and Olympics. When you do that and don't walk the talk, you have to expect criticism. This time we will give credit where it's due, courtesy the men's doubles Gold; mixed on the other hand was disappointing, a similar feeling to Rio 2016.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

In the Olympics, we are not slated to win any medals because our teams have never been top-3 in the world *if* the singles players are playing. So, no expectation, no disappointment on my side.