Tennis Asian Games 2018, Indonesia - Jakarta Palembang 2018

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Tennis Asian Games 2018, Indonesia - Jakarta Palembang 2018

Post by jaydeep »

As per news,
The Mission Olympic Cell (MOC) has sanctioned Rs 12.57 lakh for tennis player @ramkumar1994 for training (under coach Angel Gimenez Alonso), competition and equipment expenses leading up to the Asian Games.
@Media_SAI
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

As per this news from Kamesh, Leander may pair up with RamK at Asiad instead of Sumit.

Would love to play doubles with Paes in Asiad: Ramkumar
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

That is not bad news at all. I think LP, as he has taken a liking for RamK, will be motivated to do well (unlike, perhaps, with Sumeet, who is anyway injured it seems). They have a pretty good chance for a medal. Let us have a Bops-Divij vs Paes-RamK final there!!!!

Great picture of LP and RamK in the article. And I am so glad to see RamK having the right ideas. I don't give a damn for US Open, and it will be so much more useful for RamK to win a medal or two at Asiad for India, rather than to struggle to make the main draw at USO and then lose in a round or two.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

I think RamK has a great chance of winning the doubles gold. Remember he is playing with Leander with the Indian flag, a deadly combination
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

jayakris wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:24 am I don't give a damn for US Open, and it will be so much more useful for RamK to win a medal or two at Asiad for India, rather than to struggle to make the main draw at USO and then lose in a round or two.
I personally feel it depends a lot on where you are in your career. For Ram, this will be the first time he will get to play in a big multi-sport / country event like the Asian Games (correct me if am wrong) where the entire country attention is on it. The likes of Ankita Raina, Yuki Bhambri and all have already played the Asian Games. Especially for someone like Ankita, she is competing so hard to make it to the Grand Slams - if I were in her spot and had a free hand, I would choose the US Open. However, all her funding comes from the Govt, so she can't. On the other hand, if I were Prajnesh / Ram - I would choose Asian Games - its a once in 4 years thing and a medal there is a lifetime memory. Whereas for someone like Yuki, he has already done it and got medal as well, so would choose US Open.
Varma

Post by Varma »

Even for Ankita, I think it will be better to go play Asian games and make some money. Let's say she makes it to the main-draw at USO and lose in R1 (high probability), she would only make about 50K, I suppose? However, even if she wins a bronze medal she will end up making more money than that in incentives (from central government, state government, and hopefully some other private corporations). She can put those funds to good use and do well the rest of the season to do well at Aus Open next year. Additionally she will get a lot of mileage in the media which might be helpful in attracting sponsors.

- Varma
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

jayakris wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:45 pm
Rohan-Divij can be formidable medal contenders. Hope they play a couple of tournaments together before on pro tour.
Oh, what a concept! Doubles players actually preparing to try to win a medal for the country?.... Wish this could happen. Not holding my breath, as I never see our guys do such things.
You know, the one time that this actually happened (RB-MB for Olympics). AITA and LP managed to mess it all up royally!!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Well, it seems the team events which were part of the Asian games earlier are now out of it. So, only 5 medal events for tennis now - Mens and womesn singles and 3 doubles events.

Still not clear as to who all will turn up there. It will be interesting to see the entry list for mens singles in particular.

US open qualifying entry list came out today and apart from RamK,Prajnesh from India, Jason Jung,Yen Hsun Lu and Yang Tsung Hua from Taiwan and 2 Kazaks- Alezander Bublik and Nedovyesov are missing from the list. So, fair to assume that like RamK/Prajnesh, these other guys too have chosen Asiad over USO qualifying.

It remains to be seen if any of the top 100 Asian players turn up at Asiad. There are 3 Japanese- Nishikori,Sugita,Daniel, Korean Chung,Uzbek Denis Istomin and Kazak Kuskushkin are there in top 100 apart from Yuki who is missing Asiad. Technically it is possible for these players to play Asiad and turn up for US open main draw the week after but it will be too strenuous.

So, if none of them make it for the Asiad, RamK will be the top seed. That will be a great chance to try for a gold and direct entry to Tokyo Olympics.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:25 amIt remains to be seen if any of the top 100 Asian players turn up at Asiad. There are 3 Japanese- Nishikori,Sugita,Daniel, Korean Chung,Uzbek Denis Istomin and Kazak Kuskushkin are there in top 100 apart from Yuki who is missing Asiad. Technically it is possible for these players to play Asiad and turn up for US open main draw the week after but it will be too strenuous.
We have to think that at least 3 of those guys will be there. I would think RamK will be at best a 3rd seed, and more probably lower.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I don't know why, if they play the Asiad adn the next week at the USO, it will be too hard. Players play two weeks in a row.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

The long travel and grueling five setters in the grand slam ... Also less time to adjust to the court (practice).
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Most of our players will play no more than one five set match at the GS (i.e., IF they qualify and IF they can win a set in the main draw). :D
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

:-) Yes, the travel and the jet lag are factors. But it is doable. Maybe not optimal. Especially, if you are doing it for the USO paycheck and little chance of winning a match.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

sameerph wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:25 am
It remains to be seen if any of the top 100 Asian players turn up at Asiad. There are 3 Japanese- Nishikori,Sugita,Daniel, Korean Chung,Uzbek Denis Istomin and Kazak Kuskushkin are there in top 100 apart from Yuki who is missing Asiad. Technically it is possible for these players to play Asiad and turn up for US open main draw the week after but it will be too strenuous.
I see Chung,Sugita and Kukushkin entered at Winston Salem ATP in the same week as Asiad. So, I suppose they will not be playing Asiad. I am not sure if they are allowed to withdraw this tournament and play at Asiad. It is not allowed for ATP/ITF events but Asiad tennis event is not one of them.

I do not see Nishikori playing at Asiad with all his injury issues. So, assuming that above 3 and Nishikori out, the ones remaining who are ranked higher than RamK are only Daniel and Istomin. If they play there, RamK may well be third seed.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Buji's thought on our medal chances in Indonesia.

Women better equipped to win medals in Indonesia, feels Somdev Devvarman
“We have a good team, but there are guys who have injury problems. Sumit Nagal is struggling a bit, whereas Prajnesh Gunneswaran is looking healthy. Rohan Bopanna is also potentially struggling with an injury. So it depends how they shape up before the game.’’

“Expectations will be there. I expect a couple of medals from our women’s team. Both Ankita Raina and Karman Kaur Thandi are playing well right now and have decent rankings. They can win medals.’’

On the men’s team, he said, “Two medals will be fair, keeping in mind that this time there will be no team event. Obviously the medal tally will lower than that of previous years. In singles, Prajnesh has got a good record against Asians. Ramkumar is high on confidence. He will probably be the best medal hope. Leander Paes, Bopanna and Divij Sharan are all accomplished players. At the moment we do not know who will play with whom. Regardless of who pairs up with whom, we must get a medal.”