British Challengers (grass), June, 2018

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

British Challengers (grass), June, 2018

Post by PKBasu »

Yuki Bhambri is 5th on the acceptance list and Ramkumar Ramanathan is 17th.
There are lots of ageing warriors like Dudi Sula, Youzhny, Yen-Hsun Lu, etc in the draw.
Yuki will only be able to play if he isn’t alive in the doubles at the French Open after the first week.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: $150K Surbiton Challenger (grass), June 4-10th, 2018

Post by sameerph »

There are 3 weeks of grass challenger at $150K in Surbitron next week and $150K(+H) in Nottingham and than a $150K in Ilkley.

Also there are 3 womens event- 2 of which are the same venues as mens ones . In next week's $100K for women in Surbitron, Ankita is 5 out from main draw. If some of those in main draw are still alive at French open by the weekend, there may be a chance for Ankita to get into main draw. Else, she will be a high seed in qualies.

We can discuss all these grass mens/womens challengers in one thread. I will change the title later.
PKBasu

Re: British Challengers (grass), June, 2018

Post by PKBasu »

Now that the title of this thread has been changed, my first post here seems a bit odd. Just to clarify, the thread was originally about the US$150K (although denominated in Euro) Surbiton Challenger on grass, which begins during the second week of the French Open. So the first post in this thread is about the Surbiton Challenger.
Yuki, of course, can only play in Surbiton if he gets knocked out of the French Open doubles by Sunday. If he and Divij win today against the second-seeded Pavic/Marach, he will have to stay on in Paris and may miss the Surbiton Challenger. I would actually like him to play Surbiton: last year, Sugita's surge up the rankings began with him winning the title there, and I suspect Yuki is in pole position to weave a similar path this year!
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Apart from Yuki & Ram , Vishnu, Balaji and VSP would also figure in the Surbiton line up
Though primarily doubles is their main objective , they are trying their luck in singles as well and playing the qualies today , Vishnu has a tough opener against Brydan Klien and Balaji equally tough against 240 ranked German Domnick Koepfeir.
VSP against an lowly ranked Briton ranked around 1245

An amazing line for the qualies the likes of which never seen before , resembles a main draw of Challenger and is headed by 68 ranked Taylor Fritz , 72 ranked Mathew Ebden and remaining seeds are ranked between 150 to 215.
It is mainly due to them having missed the signing deadline and didn't want to loose out Grass Court play in any form.
Were these top 2 or 3 seeds qualify, which they will , it could be tough for Yuki and Ram if they were to face them in the opening rounds.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

At the qualies Vishnu expected loss to Brydan Klien and VSP with more questions on his singles career as he bows out in straight sets to 1245 ranked Briton in straight sets.
Balaji looking good having won the first set over his higher ranked opponent.

Meanwhile the MD is out and Yuki has tough opener against Thanasi Kokinakis , one of the very few players to have beaten Federer this year.
Ram in the meanwhile a tough and difficult Jordan Thomson who not only is the second seed , but to face on Australian on grass is always a difficult proposition.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Extremely tough Challenger draw, as there always is on grass. Getting past R1 for either Yuki or RamK would itself be a huge confidence booster!

Balaji too lost tamely in Q1 (61 62) after winning the first set TB.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

PKBasu wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:25 pm Extremely tough Challenger draw, as there always is on grass. Getting past R1 for either Yuki or RamK would itself be a huge confidence booster!

Balaji too lost tamely in Q1 (61 62) after winning the first set TB.
Hopefully these will be visible on livestream.com/atp?

Prof
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Doubles section is well represented by Indians.

Dvij and Quershi the Top Seeds.

Purav and Fabrice the 3rd seeds

Yuki and Mathew Ebden

Ram and Jurgen Melzer

And finally Vishnu and Balaji complete the Indian interests. 
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

In the doubles also, our pairs having a tougher challenges.

At $150K Surbiton Trophy2018, Great Britain (Grass)

[R1] (3) Yuki Bhambri (IND,93) vs Thanasi Kokkinakis (AUS,148)
[R1] Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND,121) vs (2) Jordan Thompson (AUS,91)

Doubles
[R1] (1) Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi (PAK)/ Divij Sharan (IND) vs Alex De Minaur (AUS)/ Matt Reid (AUS)
[R1] N. Sriram Balaji (IND)/ Vishnu Vardhan (IND) vs Nick Kyrgios (AUS)/ Jackson Withrow (USA)
[R1] (3) Fabrice Martin (FRA)/ Purav Raja (IND) vs Joe Salisbury (GBR)/ Adil Shamasdin (CAN)
[R1] (PR) Jurgen Melzer (AUT)/ Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND) vs Taylor Fritz (USA)/ Mackenzie McDonald (USA)
[R1] Yuki BHambri (IND)/ Matthew Ebden (AUS) vs (2) Nicholas Monroe (USA)/ John-Patrick Smith (AUS)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Why is Divij playing with Aisam and Yuki with Ebden. These two gave up already? Come on guys, play together as much as you can, when you get chances. You guys have potential to pull off something big. Or is it just my feeling?
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

jayakris wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:26 pm Why is Divij playing with Aisam and Yuki with Ebden. These two gave up already? Come on guys, play together as much as you can, when you get chances. You guys have potential to pull off something big. Or is it just my feeling?
When I spoke to Divij, he was looking regular partner for the grass season so he can continue with him till Wimbledon ... As Yuki's ranking not high enough for them to get into the 250s on grass.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Very strange decision for Divij to partner Aisam -- although of course, it does look like a very potent pairing on grass. Divij/Yuki would still be the natural pairing, but perhaps Yuki could not commit to playing doubles in every tournament in the run-up to Wimbledon.

Every single match, in singles and doubles here, looks like a humdinger. Clearly there need to be far more tournaments on grass. This first Challenger of the year on grass is chockablock with good players!
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Personally I am thrilled at the partnership with Aisam. It's a good gel in my view and I am excited at the prospect. As I mentioned in the French Open thread I don't think you can dabble in doubles and go deep in the slams.
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

So, Nick Kyrgios withdraws from French Open and then one week later plays in the Challenger doubles. Joke!
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Ankita plays a qualifier (TBD) in the first round. Most of the players in the FQR are tough (especially, Victoria Duval, Asia Muhammad). I hope Ankita is ready to face these tougher top-200 players now.