European Challengers 2018

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Omkara
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: European Challengers 2018

Post by Omkara »

On slow surface ram gets more time to cover his backhand. Or to stay that on clay his back hand is less of a liability
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Ram at a career high of 130 in live rankings.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Perhaps his sliced backhand is more effective on clay. We cannot say for sure because he has not had much success at challenger level on European clay earlier. I think this his first challenger QF on European red clay.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

sameerph wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:32 pm Perhaps his sliced backhand is more effective on clay. We cannot say for sure because he has not had much success at challenger level on European clay earlier. I think this his first challenger QF on European red clay.
Precisely - he is a much improved player. Around this time last year, he was predominately a futures player with limited success on the challengers. So not like Backhand had a difference then.

I bet if Ram plays on the hard card challengers, he would have similar performances there too. I feel if he plays mostly on the Challengers, he might not have any major jump in his rankings but I think it will enable him to get that solid foundation to move up to the ATP Tour world from around mid-next year.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

The scoreline is deceptive and eventually it was a close match with many games going to 9 or 10 points.
Ram' s serve was also on song and Sumit too was not far behind and was hitting and playing some spectacular shots
And such is a hard life of a Tennis Pro, after the match Ram while talking to me and he was already training on the bycycle in the Gym preparing for his doubles in few hours. Trials and Tribulations of a pro circuit player,not enough time to relax,no time to savour a win.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Rajiv wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:00 pm The scoreline is deceptive and eventually it was a close match with many games going to 9 or 10 points.
Ram' s serve was also on song and Sumit too was not far behind and was hitting and playing some spectacular shots
And such is a hard life of a Tennis Pro, after the match Ram while talking to me and he was already training on the bycycle in the Gym preparing for his doubles in few hours. Trials and Tribulations of a pro circuit player,not enough time to relax,no time to savour a win.
Curious - What prompted the doubles entry? Cushion against an early loss and ensure he got more match practice on clay?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Thanks, Rajeev for getting the first hand account from RamK. Yes, felt that he should have skipped the doubles this week.
VReddy wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:53 pm Around this time last year, he was predominately a futures player with limited success on the challengers. So not like Backhand had a difference then.
I think from last year he started having good success on challenger tour. Such year wise splits are not available on ATP site directly. So, need to check to confirm but I am sure his winning % on challenger tour went drastically up last year compared to year before.

His overall career win % is 44% on challenger tour. But, I am sure it must have been even lower till 2016.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Good to see our #2 moving further up in the rankings, with the #3 not far behind. They should revel in the clay season ahead.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

sameerph wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:15 pm Thanks, Rajeev for getting the first hand account from RamK. Yes, felt that he should have skipped the doubles this week.
VReddy wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:53 pm Around this time last year, he was predominately a futures player with limited success on the challengers. So not like Backhand had a difference then.
I think from last year he started having good success on challenger tour. Such year wise splits are not available on ATP site directly. So, need to check to confirm but I am sure his winning % on challenger tour went drastically up last year compared to year before.

His overall career win % is 44% on challenger tour. But, I am sure it must have been even lower till 2016.

Yes - thats my point. He really established himself on the challenger tour from like April 2017 - before that he wasn't really stabilized on the challenger tour.

Sameer - this site has a good splitup for these kind of stats: https://www.coretennis.net/tennis-playe ... stats.html
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Thanks, Vishnu. Yes, that seems very useful site . As we can see, RamK was at around 40% success at challenger level from 2014 to 2016 which went up to 50% in 2017.

I think 40% success rate in prior years too was maintained with deep runs in 1-2 tournaments. So, he had to mix in futures with challengers to maintain his ranking.

From mid 2017 his level has clearly gone up. I think if he plays challengers regularly this year, he can take his success rate at challenger level up to 55-58 % try to get close to Yuki's level ( who has around 63 % success rate at challenger level).

That way he can get a lot of quality matches and with confidence of having stabilised at this level can try to move more to ATP tour level next year.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

A superb confident win by RamK against Sumit ... Happy to see that he has rediscovered form before our important Davis cup tie against China ... Go RamK
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Next, he is facing top-100 Italian Marco Cecchinato.

[QF] Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND,136) vs (3) Marco Cecchinato (ITA,97)
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

RamK and Lopez Perez scored a hard fought win in almost two hours over experienced Rosol and Begemann ... In the match tie-break, they were behind from the start from 4-7 down they won 6 points from next 7 for a win.

At $50K+H Marbella Challenger 2018, Spain

[QF] Enrique Lopez Perez (ESP)/ Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND) bt Andre Begemann (GER)/ Lukas Rosol (CZE) 76(5) 67(4) 10-8
kishash

Post by kishash »

Ramk"s 97th ranked opponent has had recent wins over robredo and bolleli. Tough match but as usual Ramk will surprise us, I am sure. All the best
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Cecchinato won a challenger on clay a couple of weeks back in South America and has also won the only match he played against RamK in Todd challenger in Italy in straight sets. So, he will be the favorite in tomorrow's match.