North American ATP tournaments Feb-March 2018

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: North American ATP tournaments Feb-March 2018

Post by arjun2761 »

Yuki showed to himself that he belongs at the ATP level. His shot making has further improved and he is now able to compete with top 20 players in shot making. It was more like top 50 earlier as he always had the better than ATP tour average ability to change angles, directions, and pace especially on his FH side. Now, he seems to have added more power in his FH (as he was absolutely ripping some shots for winners from the baseline in neutral rallies which I don't recall him doing earlier) and his BH is also rock solid now. His service returns are also top level.

His fitness level (both stamina and quickness) has also improved and perhaps that is partly why his ground shots have improved as footwork and ability to get to the ball earlier is key in effective ground shots. His ability to grind out and win longer rallies is probably one area that he can still improve. Fortunately, he played servers/shot makers in all 3 rounds on the slower IW courts but the 50-100 level of the ATP tour has lots of grinders (such as Jordan Thompson, Damir Dzumhur and earlier our own Somdev), and they will force him to play and win longer rallies. Right now, Yuki's best match up is against big hitters on slower courts (such as IW) while he'd prefer to take on the grinders on the faster courts (such as the Washington DC courts).

It's unfortunate that his run at IW only got him 61 points while his 2 challenger semis in China last year got him 62 points. Of course, his prize money of 47K dwarfed the 6K he won in China. Since Yuki needs both money and points, playing a good blend of ATP and challenger events seems like a good course for him in the near term. He also needs to make sure he maintains his rest/rehab schedue especially after weeks where he has deep runs as staying injury free is probably the single most important factor in his continued rise. Onwards and Upwards!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

[/quote]
jai_in_canada wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:49 pm Hopefully he gets to play more at this level and improve his match toughness. But the downside is that the more he plays at this level the more these guys will figure out his game and it will be more difficult for him - which will require him to keep adding new dimensions to his game. It's such a tough way to make a living.
True, but I don't think Yuki has any major weaknesses except serve speed which can be exploited by the opponents by observing him more. Perhaps grinding it out in long rallies ( with him getting impatient and making an unforced error). But, he seems to be getting better in that respect too. I wish he had played more on clay in his formative years which would have helped him better in playing grinding long rallies.
arjun2761 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:14 pm Unfortunately his rn at IW only got him 61 points while his 2 challenger semis in China last year got him 62 points. Of course, his prize money of 47K dwarfed the 6K he won in China. Since Yuki needs both money and points, playing a good blend of ATP and challenger events seems like a good course for him in the near term.
Earlier there used to be bonus points which used to reward beating higher ranked players. I think ATP removed that system about 10 or so years back which I do not think was the right thing. Now more and more player keep playing challengers even when they have the ranking to play higher level events. ( like Jordan Thompson who is continuing to play in Asian challengers week after week when he could have played main draw at IW. )

With that ranking system, I think Yuki would have been ranked higher ( perhaps RamK too.)
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Lots of withdrawals at Miami but Yuki too far back in that Feb rankings list to make it to the MD directly.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, also his ranking has fallen a bit since qualies enty list cut off. So, he may just squeeze in among top 12 seeds in the qualies. It will be good if he does as that would mean not having to face a higher ranked player in qualies. RamK may not be a seed this time around as qualies draw appears stronger.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

sameerph wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:38 pm
Earlier there used to be bonus points which used to reward beating higher ranked players. I think ATP removed that system about 10 or so years back which I do not think was the right thing. Now more and more player keep playing challengers even when they have the ranking to play higher level events. ( like Jordan Thompson who is continuing to play in Asian challengers week after week when he could have played main draw at IW. )

With that ranking system, I think Yuki would have been ranked higher ( perhaps RamK too.)
I didn't realize that the ATP got rid of bonus points for lower ranked players who beat higher ranked players. I was never sure that that rule made good sense. It made it easier to rise up the ranks but more difficult to stay there. So there was more yo-yo rankings. So now i guess it's harder to rise up the rankings but a bit easier to stay where they are.
atula

Post by atula »

Lot for yuki to learn...Improvrment areas-
1.Serve(Have a sting in the serve..) currently the serve is a bit of a weakness..

2.Increase of Stamina..(Yuki was looking weary.. his eyes said it all..)..Reminded me of Paes vs Agassi in Usopen..96..Paes gave it all for a set & half..

3.Bit of ground strokes when the Match wears off..

The above things..& I think yuki can maki it to Top..50..Provided he stays injury free..& Competes in more ATP...Tour Level..Tournaments....
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yuki still ranked 48th in the Race to London rankings. Interestingly #3 Hyeon Chung plays #1 Federer next at IndianWells.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yuki seeded 9th, RamK 22nd in the Miami qualifiers.

Yuki plays Renzo Olivo of Argentina in Q1, and possibly Elias Ymer in final qualifying.

RamK plays Michael Mmoh in Q1, and possibly 2nd seed Mirza Basic in the final qualifying round.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Both play on Monday. RamK’s match is at 10am on Court 8.

Yuki’s is the fourth match on Court 6.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

A repeat of IndanWells encounter where Ram once again faces Tony Mmoh in the opening round at Miami , and the dangerous Mirza Bazic and the second seed stands between him for a place in the MD
Yuki by comparison seems to have a easy passage to the MD having to overcome Argentinian Olivio Renzo and possibly Elias Ymer for a MD spot.
Ayush1234567

Post by Ayush1234567 »

And the coincidence is Mirza Plays Novikov.
So, Ramkumar's section of draw looks similar like Indian Wells with Mirza Basic Replacing Yuki
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Updating draws as per our usual format -

At Miami Open ATP 1000

[Q1] (9) Yuki Bhambri (IND,107) vs. Renzo Olivo (ARG,184)

[Q1] (22) Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND,136) vs. Michael Mmoh (USA,176)

Renzo Olivo was ranked inside top 100 till mid last year and had a career high ranking of 78 last January. So, it not a gimme match for Yuki. But, Olivo has been playing almost exclusively on clay in recent times. He played 2 hard court tournaments in January in Australia losing in Q1 in both Brisbane ATP and Australian open. So, if Yuki plays like at IW, he should not have too many problems.

And hope that RamK repeats his IW result against Mmoh.
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

This is gonna be trickier than it seems on paper. Yuki will have to finish the points early if he wants to go ahead, that too conserving his energy for the important clash with Elias who again, is no pushover. Meanwhile, Mmoh will try to not commit the same mistakes against RamK. RamK needs to have one of those good, hard-hitting weeks where he produces his brilliance. Less faults, more winners, cmon guys.. We need both of them in top-100 soon
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Yuki will be tired after 5 exhausting matches. This qualies will be tougher. But I still believe both will make it to the main draw
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

RamK's match started. He leads 3-2 in the first set on serve. No breakpoints so far.

RamK saves a breakpoint at 30-40 to lead 4-3.

And he breaks Mmoh on 4th breakpoint of the game to lead 5-3.

But gets broken back at 15 while serving for the set. 5-4 now.

Mmoh holds at 30 for 5-5.

RamK holds at 30 for 6-5.

Mmoh holds at love for 6-6. On to tie break.
And Mmoh wins the first set 76(4) with just 1 mini break in tie break.